Relocating to new house, comcast needs a week to transfer

Hiltonizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All,

I just bought a new house and the movers are showing up at 7am tomorrow. I called Comcast the other day to schedule the "transfer" of my service. I got some free upgrades to my service and intro pricing for 9 months just for moving, so I'm happy there... what I'm pissed about is no matter how much I stressed I require internet for work, they can't get a tech out before Sept 1 to turn on the service at the house. 5 days without interwebs isn't acceptable.

The previous owner had Comcast, and already had it deactivated. I was kind of hoping I could just move my modem, plug in and go. Comcast claims this isn't the case. I'm only moving 20 minutes away so I'm sure my MAC is registered on the regional system.

What do these tech's do exactly? something I can do myself? I saw a post on BBR referencing just connecting something in the box on the side of the house? I haven't gotten out to the new house to look at it but will try tonight. Anyone have any insight on this?

Cliffs: How can I hook up/transfer my comcast to an existing house without waiting for a tech to do jack squat?

I went through the same thing last year, moved from one side of town to another. It took a week to get my internt "transferred"

In reality they dont transfer shit, they stop your old service at the old place and start new service at the new place.

it's probably disconnected outside.
thing is, you technically can't hook it up yourself; because it's the cable co's equipment.
Kind of like a telco NID; one side of the NID, where the housing wiring connects, is the customer accessible side. But the other side, where the telco lines come into the box, you cannot touch. If you do, the telco can charge you for it, especially if it "breaks" something.

But, it's also possible they are just saying that.
When I had moved into a duplex, I was told a tech would have to come visit. But, I hooked a tv straight up to the coax outlet, and got TV (or, atleast a couple analog channels). This told me there was nothing disconnected on the outside.

But, they would also have to re-provision your modem for a new location.

So, you could always take everything over and just try. If you get TV, then they don't really need a tech to come out. It's just that the tech that "disconnected" the service, didn't really disconnect the cable co feed, even though they apparently put it in the notes that they did.

Since I transfered over the phone and they told me to bring my existing equipment, I bet the provisioning is fine. I'll have to just give it a shot tomorrow.

If anyone knows anymore about what actually gets disconnected outside the house, I think thats where I may need to tinker.

May or may not work, it depends on how recently the prior tenant of that house moved out...because that connection on the street may or may not be hooked up and turned on. I have moved...plugged my gear in, and surprisingly it fired up. I have also moved, and had to wait until they came to turn it on.

Lesson to be learned by you? Call more than "just a few days" before your move, traditionally ISPs are 2x weeks out....they have a long list that's already booked, they't not going to go drop a few other previously scheduled calls just to rush yours in., wouldn't you get pissed if you took the time to properly schedule an install 2 weeks ago..and suddenly the tech didn't show up because someone else thought they were more important than ou and cut in line?

Cliffs:call ahead of time, they're busy..they're not like the maytag repair guy.

Why would spending lots of money on repairs be funny?
Uhm...OK, it's called a figure of speech....you can insert your favorite most reliable brand of the day...like Samsung, or LG, or Whirlpool, or GE, or Electrolux, or Haier, or Bosch, or Frigidaire, etc.

F their installers. Just money wasted on them. Hook it up and see if it works. The CS agent should be able to get you online, they may have to associate your mac address with your local node. If you get any type of comcast page after connecting then they can fix you. And if you want to browse, just put in 8.8.8.8 for your dns settings.

give them more notice

While I understand this point, giving more notice can cause even more trouble.

I've given a week's notice before when moving, and all it did was result in getting my cable immediately disconnected from where I was currently living.

Call in, explain, they re-connect, only to have to disconnect again shortly afterwards.

Next day, wash, rinse, repeat. For the entire week. Some automated system was disconnecting my service, and apparently they couldn't stop it.

By the end of the week when it comes time to move, I discover that they're not going to offer any level of refund for the week I've been without cable whatsoever.

Threatening to cancel my service did not budge them, so I just cancelled service anyway, if that's going to be their CS attitude.

Point is doing the right thing can leave you without service regardless, and they'll even demand you pay for it...

maybe you can call them again, perhaps someone canceled in your area and the "tech" can come out sooner. Also, i'd try and plug in your crap now and see what happens..it's not gonna hurt anything. Good luck bro

Uhm...OK, it's called a figure of speech....
I knew what you ment. I was just trying to drag the joke out. I remember the lonely repair man Maytag commercials.

BTW I have a warranty on all my stuff except the fridge, which I refused to renew with what a POS it's been.

Update:

Plugged in and the internet worked, no TV though... but not a problem since I have an HTPC.

Back