Remember ASUS Mars, Here comes ASUS Ares

kadozer

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.techpowerup.com/113817/ASUS_Designing_Dual-HD_5870_Graphics_Accelerator_.html

ASUS is known to toy with bleeding-edge technology to give out high-end products. Earlier, ASUS put two GeForce GTX 285 GPUs into one accelerator to give out a custom-design product that outperformed NVIDIA's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 295. According to o.v.e.r.clockers.at, ASUS might be doing something similar, this time around with AMD's Cypress GPUs in its Radeon HD 5870 avatar. It is said to be working on a dual-HD 5870 graphics card, codenamed "Ares".

While the dual-GPU Radeon HD 5970 uses full-featured AMD Cypress GPUs (with all its stream processors and memory bus width available), ASUS will attempt to use the one disparity between an HD 5970 and two HD 5870 to its advantage: clock speeds. The Cypress GPUs in HD 5970 feature lower clock speeds (725/1000 MHz core/memory) compared to the single Cypress GPU on the HD 5870 (850/1200 MHz). Electrical constraints are probably the reason behind this. It is likely that ASUS will use stronger VRM circuitry to power the two GPUs to run at higher speeds, while also providing some overclocking headroom.

AMD in a recent conference call to the press said that it didn't expect to see custom-design HD 5970-like accelerators till Q2 2010, although we don't infer there to be any sort of restriction in place, as was the case with NVIDIA and its GTX 295. Ares is likely named after the Greek God of warfare by the name. An apt successor to Mars (which also happens to be the name of the Roman God of war), ASUS' previous attempt at an extreme high-end graphics card of its own design.

Some info about it :

Asus ROG ARES

* Two Cypress GPUs (3200 Stream processors)
* Target performance > 2 x 5870 in CF
* 4 GB GDDR5
* Three PCIe power connectors (8 + 8 + 6-pin) <--beast
* Massive 100 % copper heatsink
* VGA will require 2,5 slots from motherboard
* PCB is taller than usual, almost square
* Limited availability but no numbering on cards
* Est. suggested retail price similar to MARS

expect a hefty price tag for this beast.

if it comes out before the stock 5970 4gb's then it'll sell like hotcakes... But if they wait to long /pfft

http://www.techpowerup.com/113817/ASUS_Designing_Dual-HD_5870_Graphics_Accelerator_.html

Some info about it :

Asus ROG ARES

* Two Cypress GPUs (3200 Stream processors)
* Target performance > 2 x 5870 in CF
* 4 GB GDDR5
* Three PCIe power connectors (8 + 8 + 6-pin) <--beast
* Massive 100 % copper heatsink
* VGA will require 2,5 slots from motherboard
* PCB is taller than usual, almost square
* Limited availability but no numbering on cards
* Est. suggested retail price similar to MARS

expect a hefty price tag for this beast.

So it's a Fermi preview?

Lol just playing. Sounds interesting. Love the name.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Just oc a 5970 for less.

You won't be able to hit the kinds of speed on a stock 5970 as with this one. If they are truly putting 2 8 pin and a 6 pin on, that means a total power ceiling of 450 watts. That is just insane. All depends on how high they can push that chip though. Also, if they cherry pick their chips, since it will probably be a limited run, there would be even greater motivation to buy this card.

Just oc a 5970 for less.

Most people will, although the 4GB of memory is quite a selling point at the uber high-end. Add a good chance these use the very best RV870 cores with no power concerns for overclocking and there is definitely a market for them. A very small one, but as with the Mars there are those that will pay over-the-odds to have the absolute best.

I guess..it will depend on the oc's Asus can manage and if they show any real advantage. Be interesting to see how they control the heat.

You won't be able to hit the kinds of speed on a stock 5970 as with this one. If they are truly putting 2 8 pin and a 6 pin on, that means a total power ceiling of 450 watts. That is just insane. All depends on how high they can push that chip though. Also, if they cherry pick their chips, since it will probably be a limited run, there would be even greater motivation to buy this card.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/18/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5970_video_card_review/7

900mz is not bad at all. though a water block on it and your still looking at close to 1gh for 800 dollars verse several thousands for a stock of 850.

I'm sure people will buy it but I just can't see it.

Also, if they cherry pick their chips, since it will probably be a limited run, there would be even greater motivation to buy this card.

Add a good chance these use the very best RV870 cores with no power concerns for overclocking and there is definitely a market for them.

ATI already swears that they put cherry-picked RV870 cores into 5970. I think the larger selling point of the Ares is 4gb ram, I mean common, 1gb was the standard far too long.

I read the title too quickly, I thought it said Here comes Asus Arse.

3 PCIE connectors isn't bad considering it's a dual card.

Sounds interesting, and would better power my three 27" displays in EYEFINITY. Will this come out before a stock 4gb 5970 from AMD ?

So the 5970 would actually be like a 5850x2 while 5870x2 would be faster than this?

nope, 5970 is more like a 5860x2 since it's the same shaders as a 5870, just lower clocks like the 5850.

actually I think the standard reference drivers work for this. its just two 285 instead of two 275's

corrected.. lets just hope this doesnt end up being a limited run card and can actually be affordable.. the 1000 unit limit set on the MARS was nuts.. i think this card would have a much better selling advantage over the MARS since its coming out early instead of 2 years later..

Back