remembering the old days win95

flynlr

2[H]4U
in my goal to ready every word on the net I came across this.link
and it cracked me up 398.00 for this puppy.

The mere idea of using Win95 (original version!) for a video/TV-card review frightens me :(

Nice video output.. oh wait...

bsod0pa.gif

The BSOD holds a spot in my heart still..I love windows but HATED bsods...

LadyMakoFox said:
The BSOD holds a spot in my heart still..I love windows but HATED bsods...
I've heard someone describe Win9x OSs as a balancing act on a fraying rope, with the performer carrying a container with a few gallons of water inside, while being bombarded with all types of objects from all directions. I thought it was quite an apt description of the underlying architecture :p

(and in the case of WinME it was a guy weighing 300 lbs on top of that rope :eek: )

funny i said win95 was old days as that isnt true. old days for me where trying to get all the upper memory free with qemm386. aka dos 5-6.22 and before that dos 3x uggh.
wrote so many batch files to get them old games running it wasnt funny. remember the vesa loader?.

Half the fun of playing larger games on DOS was getting them to run at all :p

(or figure out why a game wouldn't play nice with your soundcard...)

Elledan said:
I've heard someone describe Win9x OSs as a balancing act on a fraying rope, with the performer carrying a container with a few gallons of water inside, while being bombarded with all types of objects from all directions. I thought it was quite an apt description of the underlying architecture :p

(and in the case of WinME it was a guy weighing 300 lbs on top of that rope :eek: )

I compare it to a little kid waste deep in gas, playing with matches. Its gonna blow up sooner or later. lol! I was like thank god when Win2kPro came out...

LadyMakoFox said:
I compare it to a little kid waste deep in gas, playing with matches. Its gonna blow up sooner or later. lol! I was like thank god when Win2kPro came out...

waist* ;)

if you were in hell and had to choose between win 95 or win ME what would you choose?

(damn thats a hard choice)

with win95 at least you get the distinction of catastrophic errors and no hope what so ever.

with winme you get catastrophic errors and the mere illusion of hope

geekcomputing said:
if you were in hell and had to choose between win 95 or win ME what would you choose?

(damn thats a hard choice)

with win95 at least you get the distinction of catastrophic errors and no hope what so ever.

with winme you get catastrophic errors and the mere illusion of hope
Frankly, Win95 is a masterpiece compared to WinME. The latter being the only Win9x-based OS I've ever seen that ran out of memory on a system with 64 MB of RAM and plenty of swap.

I still adore Win98 SE for running like a charm on a P166 with no less than 24 MB of EDO RAM. It actually was faster than Win95 on the same system :eek:

of all the OS's win98 is my favorite just b/c its blazing fast.

if i could get 98 w/ the stability of xp id be happy.

xp is just bloatware
and longhorn = lord of bloatware.

flynlr said:
in my goal to ready every word on the net I came across this.link
and it cracked me up 398.00 for this puppy.

Ha, I have that card at home. I can't even remember how long ago I was using that thing.Too bad I couldn't get that much for it.

still, I bet that card does what it's meant to do very nicely. Cool back up card to boot.

Back