Remote Printing Question

Currently, my roommate and I share a single broadband connection via a Linksys BEFW1154 router. He just hooked up his father's old HP OfficeJet G85xi all-in-one machine. The issue is, I can't even see the printer over the network, despite him currently sharing it.

My guess is only because we haven't set up a dedicated network between the two of us? I haven't really played with the router settings since receiving it only a short time ago.

Even when I search for the printer, of which I named, I Windows XP can't find it. Again, I assume that because we haven't setup a network that we both are dedicated to, it isn't working. He currently is utilizing a wireless signal, while I use a wired connection. Both of us are running Windows XP.

Currently, my roommate and I share a single broadband connection via a Linksys BEFW1154 router. He just hooked up his father's old HP OfficeJet G85xi all-in-one machine. The issue is, I can't even see the printer over the network, despite him currently sharing it.

My guess is only because we haven't set up a dedicated network between the two of us? I haven't really played with the router settings since receiving it only a short time ago.

Even when I search for the printer, of which I named, I Windows XP can't find it. Again, I assume that because we haven't setup a network that we both are dedicated to, it isn't working. He currently is utilizing a wireless signal, while I use a wired connection. Both of us are running Windows XP.

You are either not Sharing the printer correctly, or you can try typing in the other computer's ip address and see if anything comes up.
Also, try opening My Network Places in Windows Explorer. Click on Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Your Workgroup, The other PC, then Printers, and see if any printers are there and see if a little Hand icon is next to the printer, if you see the hand then you know it is being shared properly.

Good Resource:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

Back