Remove CD-ROM From MBP?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I've I remove my CD-ROM from my mid-2012 MBP, what is the largest capacity HDD drive OS X will recognize? Will it support a 2 TB drive? I just replaced my original drive w/ a 500 GB Samsung SSD & now want to remove my CD-ROM.

This is not an answer to your question, but it might be helpful. You may want to put the SSD in the optical drive bay and the rotational drive in the normal HD location.

When I put a rotational hard drive in the optical bay of my June 2012 MacBook Pro 15", the drive stuttered; reading speeds were really bad. The drive was essentially unusable. I put the drive in the normal HD location and it was fine. A SSD in the optical bay wasn't as fast as I expected, but it was usable. I believe the optical drive bay SATA connection is significantly slower than the HD SATA connection.

$0.02.

This is not an answer to your question, but it might be helpful. You may want to put the SSD in the optical drive bay and the rotational drive in the normal HD location.

When I put a rotational hard drive in the optical bay of my June 2012 MacBook Pro 15", the drive stuttered; reading speeds were really bad. The drive was essentially unusable. I put the drive in the normal HD location and it was fine. A SSD in the optical bay wasn't as fast as I expected, but it was usable. I believe the optical drive bay SATA connection is significantly slower than the HD SATA connection.

$0.02.

It is slower, but that because the SATA port on there wasn't designed for a HDD and HDD speeds, most optical drives can barely hit the high end of SATA1 speeds, let alone the SATA3 speeds most HDDs are at. But the purpose of the ODD to HDD cages are for expanding storage, not speeds.

As far as the question of capacity, the OS should be able to read any size HDD you put in. I wouldn't go anything higher than 2TB though

I've I remove my CD-ROM from my mid-2012 MBP, what is the largest capacity HDD drive OS X will recognize? Will it support a 2 TB drive? I just replaced my original drive w/ a 500 GB Samsung SSD & now want to remove my CD-ROM.

Any capacity that will physically fit in the bay.

Back