removed my apple support dock icon

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
was wondering if anybody knows how to get it back...

edit:

or rather the 'Apple - Mac OS X' icon from the dock, ya know.. next to my recycle bin.

was wondering if anybody knows how to get it back...

edit:

or rather the 'Apple - Mac OS X' icon from the dock, ya know.. next to my recycle bin.

Since OSX 10.2 came out, one of the first things I do when I set up a new machine for clients is to pull that off the dock. I remember it being easily replicated somewhere else, maybe like Help from the Finder or something. Been doing it so long now I don't even remember what it points back to.

Since OSX 10.2 came out, one of the first things I do when I set up a new machine for clients is to pull that off the dock. I remember it being easily replicated somewhere else, maybe like Help from the Finder or something. Been doing it so long now I don't even remember what it points back to.

It links to the Apple - Mac OS X page...

it's sad for me. it makes my desktop less like it was originally and i am saddened by this.

Here's what I've done so far... took forever to find out how to do this.. I have no idea why it's so hard.

Well as we all know, dragging and dropping a URL from Safari to the desktop creates a shortcut to it.

but here is a more useful solution: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...040111200114634

however this is still just an ugly url titled icon thing, SO in order to get the nice "Apple - Mac OS X" name that was missing... in the comments another user had written an apple script to do just that, why i this so hard to do? anywhere, here's the script if you're interested...

Code:
try
tell application "Safari"
set theURL to URL of (document of window 1)
set theTitle to name of window 1
end tell

do shell script "echo \"[InternetShortcut]\" > ~/Desktop/\"" & theTitle & ".url\""
do shell script "echo \"URL=" & theURL & "\" >> ~/Desktop/\"" & theTitle & ".url\""

on error x
activate me
display dialog x
end try

but umm, that just made an ugly http location icon, which is fine i guess, it did what i wanted, but now i wanted the original icon back, and the best i've been able to do is from interfacelift.com in the mac icons section from a pack entitled "springs"

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/details.php?id=1031

now, I don't even like those icons, so if ANYONE can give me the original icon, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THIS IS SO STUPID AND HARD TO DO WTF!

Now I have a file hidden around in my user folder hopefully so that I won't delete it randomly some time, so that this link works. I don't even use it, it's just for aesthetics for me, it doesn't even look that good, it's just something Im used to and i'm nitpicky.

There goes like 2 hours of my life.

go to any apple webpage and grab the apple logo favicon from the address bar and drag it to your dock. (should have the little green plus sign as you drag it next to the trash can)
now it will take you to that specific page.
one other thing, seems to require safari to use this method.
there ya go.

go to any apple webpage and grab the apple logo favicon from the address bar and drag it to your dock. (should have the little green plus sign as you drag it next to the trash can)
now it will take you to that specific page.
one other thing, seems to require safari to use this method.
there ya go.

I hate you so much right now.

Am I wrong to think simply bookmarking the page would have saved you 1:47:55

Yeah but I wanted the icon down there next to the recycle bin, iunno why it was such a big deal.. but i wanted it there...

crazy ocd maybe.

It's very easy to get it back.

Go to \Users\My Username\Library\Preferences\ through Finder

Then delete the com.apple.dock.plist.

When you log out or restart and then log back in, the dock will be reset to the factory default, including your icon.

It's very easy to get it back.

Go to \Users\My Username\Library\Preferences\ through Finder

Then delete the com.apple.dock.plist.

When you log out or restart and then log back in, the dock will be reset to the factory default, including your icon.

I think the drag and drop from the FavIcon of the site I want in the Safari address bar to the dock is a LOT more useful than your solution.

I won't want to lose every other dock icon I have or it's organization.

I've got like 30 icons there.

Back