Removing a HSF that has AS5 on it

Hades12

Limp Gawd
I put AS5 on my new AMD 64 system, I removed the HS the other day and pulled the chip up at the same time. I need to remove it again and dont want to pull the chip up again. Any good trick to doing this?

Wow, how much AS5 did you put on there? :eek:

Twist the heatsink while you're pulling upwards to break the seal. And I'm not sure how much paste you used, but remember you just need a glob the size of a rice grain.

twist the heatsink a little bit while gently pulling up on it. Sometimes the stuff has cured to much and the vacumm is to great and the cpu will come out with it. I have had that happen several times and have never damaged a cpu doing it, but thats not to say that it cant happen. Just remember to always clean the heatsink and cpu and apply more before you put the HSF back on the cpu.

Sounds like I have done it all correctly.

I put on a Grain of rice. I used folding to heat it up for removal and twisted, popped the chip right out and bent one pin, Only slightly but I dont wont to bend it again.

Thanks for the quick replys

keyword

Artic Silver

Since no one actually said it but isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol is effective. The higher the % the better. 70% stuff is common in stores but if you can find 90%+ stuff that's better

Denatured Alcohol is the bomb :D
But it doesn't sound like that will do anything to help you. How long ago did you put the AS5 on? If it was only a couple days, it might not have cured yet, and you'll be able to pull it right off. The thing about AS5 is that it cures over time, which is why it works so well. You might get lucky and find that it hasn't cured yet.

6 months the first time, This time will only be about two weeks.

I used alchol to clean it each time.

As was said before, run a stress-testing application like Prime95 or SuperPI to melt the paste, then turn off the machine quickly and carefully twist the heatsink off.

Back