Replacable proc in laptop?

LunchboX3904

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, real quick question. My friend has a gateway mx3215 laptop and he was wondering if he could upgrade the processor. there's a Celeron in there right now, but I don't know anything more than that. Also, about how much would it be for him to go to a P4-M? Thanks for supporting my n00bishness.

Yes, you can upgrade it with a Pentium M 400MHz FSB CPU, and possibly a 533MHz FSB CPU if the clock generator supports it. The P4-M is an older CPU and isn't compatible with that laptop.

Agreed...

It should take any Pentium/Celeron M. I did a quick google search on the Via VN800 chipset in that thing and it says that it does in fact support 533FSB so you should be able to run any Pentium M regaurdless if its a 400 or 533FSB. You should even be able to pinmod a 400FSB processor into a 533FSB.

acascianelli said:
and it says that it does in fact support 533FSB so you should be able to run any Pentium M regaurdless if its a 400 or 533FSB.
That's why I put in the caveat "and possibly a 533MHz FSB CPU if the clock generator supports it."

The chipset support is a given, but I didn't have time to look up the motherboard and determine if it also ships in laptops with 533MHz FSB CPUs. The motherboard in the laptop may not support 533MHz FSB CPUs if the clock generator doesn't. :p Some low end laptops are purposely crippled.

(edit) The motherboard used in that laptop is the "105945 - VIA VN800 Chipset Motherboard", which is only used in the MX3210, MX3215, MX3225 and MX3228 laptops. None of those models ship with 533MHz FSB processors. There's a slight possibility that the clock generator could support 533MHz FSB CPUs, but that's pretty unlikely from a major OEM.

I don't mean to bring up an old thread, but I just got a gateway MX3210 and i want to know what I can do with it for the processor. Same motherboard, and I wanted to see if anybody had any actual experience with it.

According to gateway, my processor is integrated and sodered in. Dell has told me the same thing about one of there laptops, and upon opening it, I did whatever I pleased with the processor.

i have the mx3215 and the processor is NOT soldered on. you can do what you like with it as well ( i. e. replace it).

Sounds good to me, so I should be able to use the motherboard chipset specifications for processor types. Meaning it should take the M-740, M-745, M-750, M-760. Has anybody done this with these laptops?

well according to this website

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/v-series/vn800/

It supports

Processor Support VIA C7-M™ / Intel® Pentium® M Processors

BUT, apparently gateway only allows support for 400fsb on this motherboard in this laptop, using the via chipset. People have put in P-M's into them, but then they run at a slower frequency. Just want to know if there are any laptop guru's that can fill me on what I should be researching and what i'll need to do.

Back