replacement fan for the Cogage true Spirit?

bradyapba

Gawd
I am thinking i want more cooling out of the cooler. So i am thinking about replacing the fan.

But, i also dont want it to sound like the old tornado fans either.

Anyone have any suggestions what fan to use on this cooler to get better performance out of it, then the stock fan?

I replaced the stock fan on mine yesterday with the Scythe Slip Stream 1900RPM. I saw about 2C drop in cpu load temps. However, I've been told that the Gentle Typhoon is a better option. Also, just to let you know, I also tried doing a push/pull setup and saw no difference at all in temperatures.

Thanks JG! (i feel like we are friends now and I can call you JG!)

Yeah i read your post somewhere in the forums where you talked about it, i definitely took notes on that.

It may be time to buy a few fans, and which is best. Im gonna look into the typhoons.

Try the GTs for sure, the 1850 RPM version. Even at full blast they have this low bass sound to them that is actually pleasant. However, even at 1850 they are very silent. I have also confirmed that they will throttle using a PWM connection, even though they are three pin, with Speed Fan. I might put one on the Cogage also since it is much quieter than the CG fan.

I was about to make a thread on this. The stock Cogage fan is pretty loud imo. If I turn it down via Speedfan, I get this high pitch electronic beeping noise. Is that voltage throttling? Cause when I stop the fan with my hand, the noise continues to play, but just cuts off eventually.

after i put the thru bolt kit on it, im gonna test a few fan on it.

I have a Scythe S-FLEX 1600 i could use, not sure if its much better than the stock one.

Also have a random logisys one hanging around (no model model)

and an old school one, its a Cre Air, that supposedly moves 88 CFM... gonna give that a dance too, but not until i get it secured better with the bolt kit.

Did you get better temps? WHat were they?

I see you did the washer mod. Do you have any pics/tips? I plan to do the same to mine.

You might not need (or even be able to do the washer mod). I tried to do it on mine but found that I couldn't do it. Even without a washer in between the bracket and the heatsink the pressure from the tightened screws was enough to slightly bend my motherboard. When I tried to get a washer in there I found that I couldn't get the screws even close to the holes because of the springs that are on them. Anyway, even without the washer I didn't even have to tighten the screws all the way down to get my heat sink secure. It can still move but only if I use a good bit of force on it. I could tighten it further but don't want to bend my motherboard any more. I'm wondering if maybe the Rev B. kit is better than the original and removed the need for the washer mod.

I've got the 1850rpm GT fan on my TRUE Spirit. It's been great!

I'd be interested if you got better temps?

I modded my Cogage fins with thick aluminum tape to seal up all the sides and top, to make a virtual fan shroud around the fins. I saw a 2-3C drop just doing that. Now the fan has to push the air all the way through the fins, not around it or over the top.

To the OP I don't know if you are any good an modding, but it would be interesting to see if yuo did the aluminum tape mode if you would see any drop in temps.

I've never actually tried using the stock fan. I can stick it on there when I have some free time and get some temp readings for you guys though.

doug, i dont have any handy, but ill see if i can find something to shroud it with, right now, im afraid to even touch it, until i got my through bolt kit.

Fark, if you got a chance, that would be great.

Hey just to let you know, I used the push pin set up and it seems pretty snug. But the bolt through kit is the way to go for sure.

Once I get my OC problems solved, I might even go with the H50. However, at 38 BIOS and after vDrop 1.344 vCore, I run at below 80C using P95 in heat mode. That's pretty damn good. And even when playing games, I never get over 70 or so.

right now, im OC at 3.6. Prime95 usually settles in at 70C after and hour or so, gaming for 4-5 hours, i am usually at around 50-52C. I want to see if i can get the OC to 4.0 though.

I Just hate the push pin. its a pain, never feels right....feel better about the through kit. Just wish i had a case with a cutout where CPU is. The H50 is neat little package. I used to water cool.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=946726&highlight=bradyapba

nice man!

Are you all using two fans on your COGAGE TRUE spirit?
if one, are you pushing or pulling?

thanks!

I am pushing. Stock fan. From most reviews, the true spirit gets no benefit from the push pull configuration.

I would put a GT 1850 on my Cogage, but since I mounted it with pushpins, I don't feel good about it. the GTs weigh a lot, and I mean a lot, whereas the Cogage fan is very light, although much noisier at high RPMs.

I bought the Yate Loon D12SH-12 (88 CFM @ 40 dBA) 12V/0.30A fan but the one I received is not hollow in the middle (has a solid plastic tube connecting each set of screw holes) so the fan wire clips do not work with it. I read about this fan here when looking at the TRUE Spirit performance and it was well regarded by the reviewer (for all air cooling solutions).

PS - Don't want to thread jack, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I can mount the fan on my TRUE Spirit, I am open to them. I could not find fan wire clips that extend to the outside of the fan to secure it. I was thinking I could take a dremel to the tube and cut it off but that seems like such trouble.

I bought the Yate Loon D12SH-12 (88 CFM @ 40 dBA) 12V/0.30A fan but the one I received is not hollow in the middle (has a solid plastic tube connecting each set of screw holes) so the fan wire clips do not work with it. I read about this fan here when looking at the TRUE Spirit performance and it was well regarded by the reviewer (for all air cooling solutions).

PS - Don't want to thread jack, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I can mount the fan on my TRUE Spirit, I am open to them. I could not find fan wire clips that extend to the outside of the fan to secure it. I was thinking I could take a dremel to the tube and cut it off but that seems like such trouble.

I had the same problem when I tried to mount that exact fan on mine. I just used a rubber band to hold it on there. Not the most secure solution, but it held it on there long enough for me to find that it didn't do as well as my Scythe Slip Stream 1900rpm. Obviously this isn't ideal if you plan to leave it on there for a while. If you can find some craft wire, that would probably work as well.

Last edited:

The Gentle Typhoons have the same problem. I just dremelled out the material. Took less than 5min, well worth it if you ask me.

EDIT: Just put on the stock COGAGE Fan. Damn this thing is annoying compared to the GT! Temps to follow...

Last edited:
The Gentle Typhoons have the same problem. I just dremelled out the material. Took less than 5min, well worth it if you ask me.

EDIT: Just put on the stock COGAGE Fan. Damn this thing is annoying compared to the GT! Temps to follow...

I would love to hear exactly how the GT compares to the stock fan as I have been thinking about getting one to stick on mine. My Slip Stream 1900rpm does about 2c better than the stock fan, but I've been told that the GT would do better despite the lower CFM.

Here's the temp differences betwen the stock COGAGE Fan and my 1850rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon:

Stock COGAGE Fan (idle ambient temp 21C, load was 23C):
COGAGE-Stock-Fan-results.jpg

Scythe Gentle Typhoon Fan (ambient 23C for both):
COGAGE-GT-Fan.jpg

CPU settings:
-i7 920 D0
-4.00ghz
-200 bclk x 20 multi
-6gb Kingston DDR3 @ 2005mhz 1.65v
-vcore 1.3v
-uncore 1.7v
-HT On
-C1e, Speedstep, ect disabled

Sound-wise the Scythe GT is vastly superior. It's very difficult to distinguish the motor noise over the sound of moving air. Comparatively the stock COGAGE fan was significantly annoying to me since I'm used to the barely audible GT's noise.

Thanks for sharing. You saved me some money. I had been considering getting a gentle typhoon to replace the slip stream that I have on my true spirit right now, but you seemed to get about the same improvements that I did when replacing the stock cogage fan. True, the gentle typhoon would definitely be quieter, but noise isn't a big deal for me since I have a furnace ten feet from my desk.

thanks for taking the time for the simple comparison. You da man! Think I may end up throwing in a Scythe GT for the extra 2* or so and a quieter fan.

i agree thanks for the comparsion. when i get my blot kit on, ill do the same, with the 3 fans i have hanging around.

I find myself wondering how much of an improvement I would see if I were to lap my true spirit. Bah, I refuse to pull my heatsink out when it is already working perfectly well. One of these days though.

I find myself wondering how much of an improvement I would see if I were to lap my true spirit. Bah, I refuse to pull my heatsink out when it is already working perfectly well. One of these days though.

Yeah, its like how many times can I replace the TIM for that 0.5 to 1 degree difference when its working fine... Lapping seems like a very tedious job as well, though the outcome I'm sure, can provide some real positive results.

I would love to hear exactly how the GT compares to the stock fan as I have been thinking about getting one to stick on mine. My Slip Stream 1900rpm does about 2c better than the stock fan, but I've been told that the GT would do better despite the lower CFM.

Those slipstreams have pretty low air pressure. They work great for case fans but not so well on a rad or heatsink. My 1900rpm slipstream performs about as well on my True as the low speed Yate Loon that I am using now. Obviously the noise difference between the two is quite large.

Last edited:
Those slipstreams have pretty low air pressure. They work great for case fans but not so well on a rad or heatsink. My 1900rpm slipstream performs about as well on my True as the low speed Yate Loon that I am using now. Obviously the noise difference between the two is quite large.

I don't know. I keep getting told about static pressure but I'm not really convinced. I saw about a 2c drop when I replaced my stock fan with a slip stream 1900 which is about what the guy above saw with a gentle typhoon. I find it hard to believe that your low speed yate loon performs as well as your slip stream as I tried a high speed yate loon and it was about the same as the stock fan. Maybe the ue120 does better with different fans, but so far I haven't seen any reason to consider a gentle typhoon other than noise which I don't really care about.

Ok did some tests, got my bracket in!

1st let me say, the bracket dropped my temps under load, almost 10C. At 3.6 OC, prime went from a high of 70 after and hour, to now a high of 61, after and hour. Not to mention my peace of mind :)

As for the fans:

The Sytche S-flex 1600, gave no better performance than the stock fan.

The old logisys gave about a 2C drop.

Now the good ole cre air, the old case fan from my liani li. Rated at 88 CFMS. This thing moves some air. Awesome static pressure. You can feel the difference.

That gave me roughly a 5C drop under load. Only problem is, its loud as hell. Not worth it, in my book.

So at this point, i think im just goona stick with the stock fan, until i get some more to play with.

Last edited:
Awesome. I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you.

Oh and just to be clear, the reason that it dropped your temps by 10c was because your heat sink hadn't been making good contact with your cpu when you used the pushpins, not because bolt through kits are some amazing advancement. Correct?

correct. But if you ask me its an amazing advancement over push pins :) what a terrible design. Bolt kit is awesome. nice and tight, no worries, piece of mind. The true spirit, is a nice little cooler once its in right :)

OK I'm sold on the bracket. I'm gonna order one tonight. My load temp was about 90C and mostly ran at 89C on P95 small FFTs with my OC of 3.8 using a C0 920. Although my push pin set up is relatively tight for a push pin setup, it will be interesting to see if I get any temp changes after installing the bracket. I'll probably use the GT 1850 also. I almost can't believe I'll get 76C, but that would be great.

Hey Doug, why does your sig say "3.8ghz OC 190 x 21?"

190 x 21 = 3.99ghz ~ 4ghz, or should your sig read "190 x 20?"

Hey Doug, why does your sig say "3.8ghz OC 190 x 21?"

190 x 21 = 3.99ghz ~ 4ghz, or should your sig read "190 x 20?"

I was actually thinking about your temps when I was doing my sig. I ran x21 and lower Bclk to get 3.8 for stability reasons. Couldn't use anything except 21. I was using the F7 BIOS which didn't allow 21 I don't think. Gigabyte had memory problems with all slots filled and their way around that was to offer higher multiplier and lower Blck using the F10 BIOS. I'm sure I could get 5Ghz out of old Besty now, but the performance from 3.8 to 4Ghz is marginal, and the heat increase from a higher vCore is high.

Back