Replacing a 24" Dell 2405FPW with a 32" or 37" HDTV?

freebeerz

n00b
Hi,

I have a 24" Dell 2405 which I find great for gaming, videos and of course desktop apps. I'd like a bigger screen though and I don't want to spend some crazy money on a 30" dell or LG.

Would I be crazy to replace the Dell with a 32" or 37" HDTV and a DVI/HDMI cable? Gaming and video would certainly be great but I don't about normal PC desktop usage as HDTVs are optimised for video (e.g. agressive brightness and contrast). I can do with losing 120 vertical pixels (from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080) so the only thing I am worried about is the picture quality.

So would a top of the range Sony 32" (W4000) or LG 37" be at least as good as the Dell for desktop usage?

Thanks
- freebeerz

Since the resolutions of the 2405 and an HDTV are very close (1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080), you're basically seeing the same things on the screen, only they're bigger on the TV. The TVs have bigger pixels which can result in some loss of sharpness/clarity with text. If you work with a lot of documents, this could be a problem. Gaming, on the other hand, is usually fantastic on HDTVs like the two you listed.

I sit about 2 ft from my 24". I think a 37" would be too big but a 32" at 4ft should be ok.

I've got a 32" samsung A550 and after lowering the sharpness on it, I think it looks fantastic. It does take a bit to adjust to it, but overall, I think color quality is far superior. I decided a bit ago that I don't really game anymore anyways and since I mainly use it as a media center anyways, I might as well just use a TV for it. Works perfectly for me.

Back