Replacing a Core Duo CPU with Core 2 Duo?

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
I am planning to upgrade a Dell XPS M1210 notebook CPU from a Core Duo 1.8 GHz to a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, is this possible?

But isn't "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo" different? Perhaps a chipset designed for "Core Duo" will not work with "Core 2 Duo"?

But isn't "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo" different? Perhaps a chipset designed for "Core Duo" will not work with "Core 2 Duo"?

Some work. Some don't. Since that particular model of laptop is available with both Core Duos and Core 2 Duos, I think it's pretty safe to say that it supports both.

Run CPUZ and find out what chipset your laptops board is running and report back.

It uses the 945GM chipset and the A04 BIOS added support for the T5200 CPU. There might be even newer BIOSs by now since that one came out a year ago.

If you do upgrade the CPU, it looks like you are limited to 533MHz FSB Core 2 Duo mobile models, and realistically only the T5200 due to the lower TDP.

You can lookup your machine with your dell service tag on dell.com/support, too.

I looked mine up...

My Dell E1505 uses the Intel 945PM chipset with support for 533/667Mhz FSB QDR.

It came with an Intel T2300 1.66Ghz socket M, 1.25-1.4V.

The T7200 is 2.0Ghz socket M, 1.0375 - 1.30V. So, I'm guessing I can upgrade to that CPU if I wanted to with the newer A17 BIOS.

Back