Replacing a Dell 2408.

NKDietrich

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey gents.

I'm looking to replace my Dell 2408. It's gotten some strange vertical green and yellow lines that appear when it is turned on. They go away after some time but they've stayed around longer and there are 4 or 5 of them now instead of just one.

What I'm looking for:
1080 or 1200 doesn't matter to me.
Mild AG Coating or Glossy
Good color accuracy out of the box.
Ghosting or input lag are not paramount concerns, but avoiding them would be nice.

I'm not firm on a price but I'd like to avoid topping $400 if at all possible.

Thanks.

The hardest part about your request is finding a monitor these days that doesn't have an AG coating problem. Your best bet would either be the Dell U2311H or the U2410 depending on how much you're willing to spend. Both are great IPS monitors with decent out of the box color and with 5 minutes of calibration (just use values people have posted here) it will look a lot better. A cheaper option would be a NEC Multisync EA231WMI. There's some debate on the panel but it seems that it has the same as the Dell U2311H and you can get a NEC for a little less then the Dell 23" on a good day. I used to have 3 of the NEC's in eyefinity and I can tell you they are gorgeous and totally worth the money.

Good luck with your purchase!

Try and get the 2408 replaced on warranty from Dell as there is no real successor/solution to the 2408 without downsizing and getting harsh AG or spending more and getting harsh AG and medicore contrast when switching to an IPS display.

Try and get the 2408 replaced on warranty from Dell as there is no real successor/solution to the 2408 without downsizing and getting harsh AG or spending more and getting harsh AG and medicore contrast when switching to an IPS display.

Yeah I'm actually looking into that now. Should buy me some time until some better panels come out. Thanks!

Looks like my 2408 is out of warranty (just barely). Figures right? So I'm still looking for a solution. Right now I'm leaning towards a U2410 at $450. Doesn't really meet all my requirements but it's a real IPS panel without FRC.

You're ready to willingly pay 450$ for medicore contrast, tinting issues and harsh Anti-Glare coating? At least get the HP ZR24W, it has better default color and contrast, cheaper too. For 500$ you can get the Asus PA246q which has less AG coating and similar performance to the HP/Dell.

You're ready to willingly pay 450$ for medicore contrast, tinting issues and harsh Anti-Glare coating? At least get the HP ZR24W, it has better default color and contrast, cheaper too.

What do you think of the Asus PA246Q? Basically the same deal as the Dell?

According to [H] users it has lighter AG compared to the HP/Dell, out of the 3 it would be my first choice.

According to this foriegn review it has accurate color presets as well.

The thing is for <500$ you can get the 250$ Dell U2311H and 150-170$ C-PVA Samsung 2333t (high contrast+the lightest AG coating). That is the best value for $.

Last edited:
Hmm, U2311H and a 2333T, and then pick up a second 2333T later for Surround. I imagine the 2333T blur wouldn't hurt too much on the side screens, since I'd be looking at the U2311H primarily. Any thoughts on that?

Hmm, U2311H and a 2333T, and then pick up a second 2333T later for Surround. I imagine the 2333T blur wouldn't hurt too much on the side screens, since I'd be looking at the U2311H primarily. Any thoughts on that?

Nvidia Surround is VERY particular about the sync polarity between all monitors as they HAVE to be the same or else it won't work. Eyefinity is a little more forgiving in this regard. Since the sync polarity is not a widely published specification, the safe bet is to pick up three identical monitors if you are planning on using Surround.

Nvidia Surround is VERY particular about the sync polarity between all monitors as they HAVE to be the same or else it won't work. Eyefinity is a little more forgiving in this regard. Since the sync polarity is not a widely published specification, the safe bet is to pick up three identical monitors if you are planning on using Surround.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll pick up more 2311s then. I think that'll work better for me than three 2333Ts.

Back