Replacing fan in HP 1910 switch

jimphreak

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought an HP Procurve v1910-24G switch and the fan is a little too loud for my bedroom. Can these fans be swapped out for a variable speed fan?

The switch needs to support variable fans. You could solder a resistor inline to slow it down a bit.

Would it be a terrible idea to replace the stock fan for a lower speed one? I don't expect to be stressing this thing a ton. I realize it would probably void my warranty.

If it's a brand new switch right from HP I personally wouldn't as to not void the warranty. If you are the second or third or whatever owner, I say do it as the warranty no longer applies; if you are comfortable doing so.

I put resistors in my 3COM 4200G to quiet it up a bit. Switch stays cool and it dampened the sound a bit. It's in my basement though so a bit of noise is OK.

It's a brand new switch but I bought it off eBay not directly from HP.

I'd go with /usr/home way and put a resistor inline. It will slow down the fan a little and you'll just have to make sure that the switch doesn't get too hot.

the guy in the 2nd post.

but yeh, try a resistor inline, or you can try some quieter/slower fans (SilenX are ones I use)

Does anyone know what size fans are in the 1910's? I can't find the specs anywhere. Also, I don't see anywhere in the web interface how to view/monitor the temps on these switches.

Last edited:
There are 40x40x20mm.

Thanks. Where did you find that info? I'm trying to find out what the CFM/DBA specs are on the stock fan so I know what I'm dealing with in terms of trying to find a quieter one.

A store by me sells 40x40x20mm Evercool's that are about 21dba but I'm not sure how that would compare sound wise.

i tried swapping the fan in mine for a quieter one, didnt do anything since i believe its putting out 12 volts out of the connector, next i tried a variety of resistors, the ones that did slow it down enough to acceptable levels had trouble getting the fan to spin on startup, so now im just running it without a fan, only a quarter of the ports are active so there isnt a heavy load on it. Its been running fine for the last 6 months like that.

Thanks. Where did you find that info? I'm trying to find out what the CFM/DBA specs are on the stock fan so I know what I'm dealing with in terms of trying to find a quieter one.

A store by me sells 40x40x20mm Evercool's that are about 21dba but I'm not sure how that would compare sound wise.

I've currently got a broken one that i opened trying to repair. I've mesured it with a tape.

The stock Fan model number on mine is : EFB0405MD

The power supply is providing 5V. The fan get 5v and around 140mA.

Hope this might help you.

I'm looking for advice, my 1910 was collecting dust due to fan noise, I opened it up and realized it's not a fan normally used in PC, 12v vs 5v, different header. See pictures below.

I think I may have two options:
1. replace with a quiet fan, but what & where to buy?
2. disconnect fan, rest on a laptop cooler, should this provide enough cooling? the bottom gets hot w/o fan.

Thanks.

tJ1actx.jpg

N2XeW20.jpg

KItgXPJ.jpg

I faced exactly the same noise problem in a 24 port version of the v1910.

I suggest slowing down the fan using a potentiometer in parallel with a large capacitor. The cap shorts resistor for initial couple ms providing current necessary to start the fan.

It's easy to buil a circuit which fits the stock socket/plug. You need a small universal pcb, four gold pins and gold pin socket.

Tachometer and Vcc lines are connected straight through. A 470 Ohm potentiometer is added in series to the GND line and 3000 uF cap (2200 uF should also work) sits in parallel to the potentiometer. I used 3 x 1000 uF (caps must be soldered in parallel to each other to increase the capacity).

There is one issue - below certain RPM switch reports fan failure and it's power indicator blinks so if you want to still have fan monitoring working you can't slow it down to more than about half of the full speed. Just increase the resistence up to a point where the power diode starts blinking and then get back just a little bit. If you don't care about the alarming you can make the switch silent.

voltage reductor installed:
hp1910_fan_voltage_reductor_installed.JPG

bottom view:

hp1910_fan_voltage_reductor_pins.jpg

I've found out how to disable the fan failure messages on this switch. Simply ground the white fan speed wire from the motherboard by fixing it to the ground screw inside the case used for the power supply. No more messages!

I followed the instructions on http://wahlnetwork.com/2015/01/09/diy-project-replacing-stock-hp-v1910-fan-golden-silence/
to replace the stock fan with a quieter one, but ran into fan failure and fan recovered messages, thousands per day in the logs.
Turns out the RPM of the Noctua NF-A4x10 5v fan is 4500 while the stock one is 6000rpm.

Even with the Noctua fan this case still makes noise, it seems the acoustics and wind flow in the case itself creates a lot of noise.
So I further reduced the speed of the Noctua by using two diodes and a 12 ohm resistor, all in series on the red (positive) fan wire. Now the fan is virtually silent and no error messages, because the white fan speed wire is grounded!

Hope this is helpful information for others...

Back