Replacing Fan on A8N SLI Deluxe with...?

Blackdog

Limp Gawd
So the dinky little Chipset Fan on my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe Motherboard is ceasing up, and I was curious if I could just replace it with a large, passive Heatsink like my old Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo, or will it need another, similar fan? I've tried cleaning it out twice now, and it works for a few days, but then freezes up again. I'd rather not RMA it, b/c I have no backup PC and I use this computer frequently (every day). I can be without it for a few days while I look for a solution, but a few weeks to a month to wait for an RMA won't work. :(

I was thinking of this one from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103155

BlackDog-
This is a known issue with that board and if you call Asus at 502-995-0883 (select option 3) they will ship you a new one with very few questions asked and no RMA. I just put my new one in and yes, you do have to remove the mobo to install it. Not a big deal as I was moving to a new case anyways. Mine was in my hands a few days after I called.

Merc said:
BlackDog-
This is a known issue with that board and if you call Asus at 502-995-0883 (select option 3) they will ship you a new one with very few questions asked and no RMA. I just put my new one in and yes, you do have to remove the mobo to install it. Not a big deal as I was moving to a new case anyways. Mine was in my hands a few days after I called.
Hrm. I wonder if they'll send me more than one? :eek:

It's sad, b/c I've only had this mobo and computer up and running for less than 2 months. :(

I use the passive cooler from Zalman, and have not had any problems so far. It's a bit tight but it just fits between my 2x 6800gts.

Fajorry-
What kind of chipset temps do you see? I get 40c with the new fan. Up about 6c over the old 8000+ RPM unit.

How would go about removing the stock chipset fan... My room mate just got an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe and he wants to replace the chipset fan but Im not quite sure how the proper way of removing it would be.

thx

i have about 40C chipset temp. although it should be mentioned that my gfx cards and cpu are all watercooled.

ok just a bit of an update here.

I bought 2 different fan kits, and neither would fit on the board with my GF 6800 GT, so I had to use the passive heatsink that was in one of the kits. I put some arctic silver on the nvidia chipset on the chip, and some thermal adhesive on the passive cooler to attach it, and I'm getting temps of 44-45 deg. Celsius. Will this be ok till Asus ships me my replacement fan? The original finally died this morning and I just now finally got my stuff all put back together. :(

so if you call asus they will send you a new fan, no questions asked? it looks like the a8n-e has the same fan, and i was planning on gettin that motherboard. anyone know if the a8n-e has the fan problem too?

At the shop we had a new A8N-Sli dlx. come back due to the fan issue. I personally run a Premium board on water so I've added the Heatpipe setup from the Premium to the Deluxe as its a perfect fit. I'm dealing with an issue of a warning nag on bootup about the Chip Fan being faulty or too slow and of course there isn't one there. Sooo, I'll be adding a little high rpm fan to use that header and attaching it to the Gfx card. Just something to keep in mind if you go passive.

Back