replacing fedora with other distros, what to use?

o0akoni0o

[H]ard|Gawd
well i've been using fc legacy than fc3 for a while now and would like to use a more customizable distro. i'm thinking about using gentoo on my main rig since it should be fast enough to handle it, but what should i do about my laptop. its a 1.6 pentium m, has 512 mb, radeon 9600, 40gig hd, wifi, etc. how will gentoo run on this? and other there any other distros i should look at other than gentoo?

If you like gentoo, try doing a GRP install on that laptop - this uses binary packages rather than compiling everything.

Or use debian for both; it's got a nice, simple package system and upgrades are dead easy.

I'm a huge gentoo fan as well. If a box is really just too slow to compile things, I find debian works out better. So yeah. Gentoo or Debian sounds good.

gentoo will run superbly on that laptop. whether or not you want to choose gentoo is another story. (i use gentoo on a thinkpad t42)

I installed gentoo stage 1 on a k6-2 500Mhz before. It just depends on how much time you want to spend compiling. It took about 5 days to get through the install on that box, since I'd leave a stage running and not check again until the next day. It eventually installed though and is pretty quick given the box is a POS.

That laptop should be plenty fast enough for a gentoo install. I've always liked debian and slackware as well if you want a fast install.

thanks for all the replies, looks like i'll be giving gentoo a go on both systems.

Be wary of the wifi on the gentoo boxes...I find it somewhat hard to set up for some reason.

That's the irony of Gentoo. The older the system, the more it can benefit from Gentoo, but the more painful it is to install :)

Back