Replacing RAM need advice

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, one of my 4*512MB memory modules has decided to die. I'm now going to change my RAM and am deciding on a model. I'm going to be running Vista 64-bit and want 4GB to work with my:

Q6600 @ 3.3GHz
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
BFG 8800 GTS 640MB OC2

Currently running 3*512MB Corsair XMS2 8000UL. I was thinking of the GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 but have read too many threads on overclocking problems, and I've always heard great things about OCZ and Crucial Ballistix so any advice? Will be running at ~DDR2 730-800.

Cheers.

Hi guys, one of my 4*512MB memory modules has decided to die. I'm now going to change my RAM and am deciding on a model. I'm going to be running Vista 64-bit and want 4GB to work with my:

Q6600 @ 3.3GHz
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
BFG 8800 GTS 640MB OC2

Currently running 3*512MB Corsair XMS2 8000UL. I was thinking of the GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 but have read too many threads on overclocking problems, and I've always heard great things about OCZ and Crucial Ballistix so any advice? Will be running at ~DDR2 730-800.

Cheers.
We'll be happy to RMA that bad module for you also.

Cheers for the replies guys. About the OCZ, the timings seem a bit loose, how do they overclock at tighter timings? I'm assuming they're pretty good since they're 2 sticks instead of 4.

We'll be happy to RMA that bad module for you also.

You would? That's great! Who would I talk to for more information, RAMGUY over at Corsair forums or yourself? Also, would you replace it with another 8000UL even though it's discontinued? Since replacing it with another model (closest I think would be the 8500) would bring about compatibility issues.

I would go for the G.Skill 4GB or Patriot Extreme 4GB.
The Patriot is more expensive but is great for OCing and has looser timings.

Edit: Crucial Ballistix are using Micron chips are are also very good ram.

You would? That's great! Who would I talk to for more information, RAMGUY over at Corsair forums or yourself? Also, would you replace it with another 8000UL even though it's discontinued? Since replacing it with another model (closest I think would be the 8500) would bring about compatibility issues.
Customer service will make the call. If we don't have any PC8000UL available for you, they will tell you the options you have. The fastest way to get the case started is the TSX Express, linked below. Also, you can call if you want to speak to someone about the replacements.

Sorry you had an issue.

CS: 888-222-4346

TSX

Kudos to Mike Clements. That was an excellent move on your part. That is something you do not see often in communities such as this. I commend you for that. I use Crucial Ballistix myself. Excellent memory without no problems as of yet. I would take Mike's advice though & see what you can get through customer service. Might end up with something better =).

Hi guys, cheers for the replies. Thanks Mike for the RMA info, I'll be getting it done soon.

Back