Reply to Steve's front page reg link for Nintendo

Saist

Limp Gawd
once again I see a [H] news person display a shocking lack of knowledge about a subject.

Wether or not you like it, Nintendo has the creds to speak about online functions and play that neither Sony Nor Microsoft have. Nintendo was one of the first gamer organizations to go online. Their so called "RandNet" if memory serves was actually an ISP service for the N64. Nintendo's Gameboy systems also have seen extensive online use in Japan. The catch is that Japan's cellphone structure is much more... unified... compared to the US and Europe Markets. The complicated (and at least in the US, disorganized) cell systems have been what have prevented US and Europe gamers from seeing the online benifits of the GameBoy systems.

The hard-drive is also old hat. The N64-DD was a hard-drive, like it or not, and was concieved long before the X-box. If you want to get technicial, Microsoft ripped the idea from Nintendo and put it into production in other markets outside of Japan. So Steve, you're also wrong that Nintendo consoles don't have a hard drive. Now, I now what you're going to say. The N64-DD was a flop. It never saw a US release. yeah, because it was only designed to hold like 64megs of data. However, by the time it's introduction came along ROM prices had crashed. The DD carts and units were more costly than higher density roms. Also, with the dev's coming up with more inventive ways to use the memory interface, the write/re-write capabilities were muted. The DD was a victim of advancing technology.

Steve, I know I've written you before to complain about your lack of willing to look outside your sandbox, but this is becoming rather disconcerting. This is /BASIC DATA/. This isn't trivia. And your missing it. Why?

Get used to it. The gaming world is larger than the US.

(now, I'm pretty sure other people on this forum have already corrected Steve. But I couldn't find any such post. Either I'm blind (well, considering I missed which cable was plugged into a CD-Rom yesterday, that may be the case) or I just am bad at parsing search queries.)

I think its more a comment on the idea of a patent on something already widely in place.
Almost how strange it is for a Sound company having a patent on a graphic shadow rendering
technique that was described to the public, way in advance of said patent's filing.

LMAO arent u the same guy who posted that PM? if you have a problem with steve then talk to steve :eek:

Steve didnt write an article on it.... just a editiorial style statement. It did read quite funny. "If you look its like nintendo is trying to patent an xbox"...lol. That is exactly what it "seems" like to most people. No one cares if they some how flunked with a ROM device that is more analogous (~sp) to a hard drive than actually being one. It doesnt matter who came first anyway, the point here is the concern a company is being the little devil that they are capable of in trying to hoarde a technology for themselves. That doesnt help us, it helps them. It is despicable anyways when it is a natural evolution. What if Sony stepped up when they made PS2 and tried to patent DVD-Rom use in consoles? What a freaking joke that would be.

Attacks on semantics dont change the fact that in this instance, Nintendo sucks. Defending them is silly. How can you ignore the fact that they are essentially trying to patent something made for umpteen years that takes little modification to use in your device? Something made widely by the likes of Hitachi, Western Digital, Maxtor, and Seagate, not Nintendo themselves? It's ludicrous and worthy of picking on them. It's not an article, its a statement that appeals to a wide pool of [H]'s readers and very accurate enough. You can also see how nintendo claiming exclusivity would hurt the real Hard drive makers, by patenting other people's shit. The patent also screams XBOX.... come the fuck on.

Most of this was editorial style on my own as so let me switch that up to more of a debate.... your arguments are ludicrous really. For one it IS trivia as in trivial. There was a rarely used online component of the Genesis and if you call that ROM system a precedent of hard drive use.... there are a whole lot of patents in trouble. Lol... some POS considered a mass storage device in its day has absolutely nothing to do with Hard Drives. Thats a pretty loose comparison. Hard drives have platters and spin etc.... or what now.... no one can use anything that read/writes data on there consoles all because of nintendo's failed unit that was obsololeted shortly after it's release and their preciuos patent.

Recap... Nintendo's thing was not a hard drive, it is actually THE LAST major console maker to not use them. Sega probably pioneered online gaming both in the genesis days and again with the Dreamcast. The XBOX has spread both technologies to the most people all before this precious patent. Also note you will never convince [H] readership devices made by computer hardware makers should be patented for console use. It's not there business decision nor does it sit well when we know PC>Console and consoles get these devices usually once they have become a normal commodity type item. The 56k modem in the dreamcast, the ethernet jack and 20 gig drive or so in the xbox... all old news even by the time of there implication.. and to add insult to injury Nintendo is behind on ALL of it. Actually, you got me thinking, this patent is probably red tape and obstacles for the other guys so maybe Nintendo can step into our century.... maybe get some marketshare from people other than mobile gamers and pokemon fans. ;) In fact in the gamecube development days they specifically stated they wanted to draw the line in the sand when harassed as to why they wont read or use DVD's or offer online play. They STATED they wanted to keep that vast differences between console, computer, and home entertainment device. Now they look pissed everyone else is going the other way. Boo Hoo and they throw a temper tantrum. Your whole argument is based on a ROM device add on as a HDD and the false notion that anything from the N64 era was the first to offer online. So you can flame if you want but it is plain to see you need a new argument.

If you ask me is comments are valid because he was going on Nintendo past and presesnt. I am even surprised they would patent aything with online play because even the big man at Nintendo of Japan a while back said online play was not the future. :eek: Read some of the views of the former boss at Nintendo of Japan at IGN, they even have a funny articles on him all the time, he didnt want to change at all and many thought Nintendo would die and go the way of Sega only making games because of this. Microsoft has brought the most inovation and change to consoles and if it wasnt for them Nintendo and even Sony would not have made many changes and I wouldnt be so quick to give

Also Sega was the first to go online and I do give Nintendo credit for the DD as sort of the first HD for gaming but they gave up on it and never even brought it here so I wouldnt give them that much credit.

You know I believe the genesis preliminary setup used a form of Sega Channel or something and I believe cable wire. So using the ROM device as a harddrive argument... sega should patent cable internet! :eek: They also added the 32X to there genesis and sega CD.... now sony goes and uses addons! Bastards! The jig is up, your video game business shall be relinquished to Sega. Please refer to gamecube as the segacube and you know who is now SegaStation2.

The patent, number 6,769,989, was granted on 3 August this year, but is essentially a continuation of another Nintendo patent, 6,599,194, which was filed in April 1999.

I remember seeing an ad for the Sega Channel in an old old old EGM. It was actually much like the Phantom....You got a receiver that plugged into your Genesis Cart slot and you could obtain content through your cable line on demand. Obviously it wasn't a big hit because at the time nobody really thought you could carry a high speed MAN over Cable co Coax. An inventive idea, but the logistics had to have been a bitch since it used a proprietary network. Even if Nintendo had a Hard Drive they never brought one to the US so this UNITED STATES patent is nothing more than an attempt to collect royalties on XBoxes and PS2 HDD units.

Another thing that chaps my ass about Nintendo is the fact that they think exactly like my 54 year old dad. They both think that games are for kids, not for grown men (I'm just shy of 21) My dad will say "you should stop playing these childish games" to me while I'm playing Farcry and blasting away at a mercenary with blood going everywhere. Nintendo forgets that the kids that played the NES back in the 80's are all grown up and STILL love to play video games. As such they want games that cater to their tastes. Honestly, who would you rather have as a video game hero? A walking badass nerd with a crowbar and lots of fuckoff shiny guns? Or a short italian plumber that squirts his enemies with water?

I'm not saying Nintendo's titles aren't fun, they are. I played Mario Kart Double dash with my 10 year old nephew for like 3 hours when he came for a visit at New Year's. We both had a blast. Its great entertainment for my 4 year old nephews and niece. However, at the end of the day Uncle Evil wants to kill shit with firearms and then for giggles watch the ragdoll physics as he whacks the corpse with the machete.

Saist said:
The hard-drive is also old hat. The N64-DD was a hard-drive, like it or not,

No, you're wrong. The disk was removable and did not contain the heads. It is removable media. That is not a hard drive. Do all your posts suck like this? Maybe I should send you a PM so you can post a thread about it.

Saist, you've gotta stop these lameass hit-and-run posts. You're not exactly gaining points with anybody.

This Saist guy seems to act like an elitist idiot everywhere he goes and posts around here. Saist constantly calls people out when he's wrong himself, and many of his points are only true in a subjective, not factual, manner. I bashed him for his dumb post about the PS2 being superior to the X-Box it infuriated me so much...

Saist, pal, if you read these last four or five posts, you just got OWNED. So much so that you should consider relinquishing your account in these forums if you ask me...

I hope to never meet you in real life. I'd probably end up in jail...

Doing something first and doing something right are two very different things. Unfortunately, with online gaming and the 64DD, they only got the "doing it first" part of the equation.

Back