Requesting some advice (which cpu to keep)

skizzled

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I recently built an Intel rig with the E2180 (stock 2GHz) and overclocked it to 3GHz easily with a simple smidgen bump of vcore one notch. I know this cpu can do 3.2GHz with a bit more vcore just fine. I also have my memory running 5-5-5-15 at 1000MHz. Knowing this, I have an AMD 6400+ staring at me on my desk which is stock at 3.2GHz.

Since receiving the 6400+, my father has been asking me to build him a new computer. I am curious as to whether or not I should keep the E2180 and build a new system with the 6400+ for him or keep the 6400+ and give him the E2180. At stock, which is what they'll be running at if I do give my E2180 to him, I know the AMD will most likely outperform the low-end Intel. But, at 3GHz, or even 3.2GHz if I wish to push it a bit, does the E2180 stand a chance against the AMD? Is it better to have a stock system than an overclocked one if I can get away with it?

How would I go about overclocking the ram on an AMD to get it running 1000MHz or is it not that much different from running 800MHz?

Either way, I'll most likely upgrade my PSU to a Corsair and possibly get 4GB of ram.

Thanks for any input. I probably have a ton more questions on the back-burner.

Keep the 6400+ and give your Dad the E2180. He probably won't need the horsepower of the 6400+ for just general usage. And make sure and pick up a motherboard that supports AM2+ for future Phenom compatibility.

It's always best to run things at stock clocks since overclocking does shorten the life of your hardware, especially when pushed hard.

The AMD will out perform the Intel chip if both are stock. You know this though. You dont want to have your Dads system overclocked you said and if the Intel at stock speeds are fast enough for him ide give that system to him. If not he can get 3.2 stock from the AMD. I think the Intel chip would outperform the AMD if both were at 3.2 but the AMD isnt going to be a problem running anything or a bottleneck. It also probably wont clock up much higher than 3.2 but who knows. If i had to decide ide keep the 3.2 AMD for myself and get a nice am2+ mb for when the next phenom comes out.

At the same clock speed a C2D with full cache gives about 10% faster (rough approximation) framerate.
With less cache, the E2180 isnt quite as good but is still better so unless the AMD clocks higher, I'd keep the E2180 for gaming.

for example, my Sisters new PC with E2160 @ 2.8GHz, HD3850 highly clocked gives the same 3DMark06 score as my 4200+X2 @ 2.8GHz and a well clocked 8800GT.
The E2160 machines 3DMark 03 score is 35% faster !!

Keep the 6400+ and give your Dad the E2180. He probably won't need the horsepower of the 6400+ for just general usage. And make sure and pick up a motherboard that supports AM2+ for future Phenom compatibility.

It's always best to run things at stock clocks since overclocking does shorten the life of your hardware, especially when pushed hard.

While it may be true that life expectancy may be shortened due to overclocking I have yet to see any real damage resulting from it. My skt 754 3700+ Clawhammer has been overclocked for 3.5 years now at 1.6+v (1.5 is stock) and 2.6 ghz (2.4 is stock) and it is still performing like a champ. My sig system is aslo pushed hard (1.6 to 1.7v oc vs. 1.4v stock) @ 2.7+ ghz (2.4 stock) and it still runs fine. All you have to do is make sure you have adequate cooling to keep temps under control.
Now, when it comes to the 6400+ its already clocked quite high for an AMD cpu so there isn't a lot of head room left for overclocking unless one uses chilled water, Peltier or phase-change cooling to lower the cpu temp below ambient room temp. I'd have to agree that if I had one I'd just run it stock and leave it alone. You might get a little more speed out of it on air cooling but I doubt it would be all that much. I'd keep the 6400+ and give the Intel to dad - unless you want something to play with and overclock. In that case give the 6400+ to dad and keep the E2180 to play around with.

Some valuable advice here. I probably should have mentioned this earlier but the main focus of my system is gaming while his is mainly multitasking with browsers, stock/investment programs, etc.. nothing too demanding. This decision is difficult, while I like the fact that I tinkered with my current rig to get it faster than stock, it makes it hard to give it up. More performance (souped up horsepower, Tim Allen style). How much of an edge would the E2180 at 3.2GHz or even 3GHz have over the 6400+ in gaming? Or is the difference not that noticeable? It's interesting that an overclocked E2160 with a HD3850 could match that of a comparable X2 with a 8800GT in 3dmark but what about real world performance?

Thanks for the help thus far.

Sorry I cant help further, my Sisters PC (E2160+3850) is wrapped up ready for Christmas now!
I tried Crysis quickly on it to see how it runs.
The post I made a few days ago about it seems to be lost but the FPS were something like
1024x768, 44FPS at medium settings, 34FPS at high settings.

I'm about to leave for a very long trip so cant test my X2 GT machine so wish you all a happy Christmas :)

Looking at this from a slightly different standpoint, I'd keep the LGA775 system for the simple fact that you can drop in a quad later. A budget AM2 board for that 6400 should be fairly inexpensive too. My guess would be that the clocked 2180 will be faster in gaming also. (At least I hope so, I've got an e2140 on its way to me). Just my $0.02.

I say keep the AMD chip. 3 GHz half-cache Core 2 vs. 3.2 GHz 6400+ will likely be quite close in terms of performance. One requires a massive overclock to get the performance you want, the other doesn't.

I agree also that you should get an AM2+ board. Hopefully some time in the future Phenom won't be so slow and hot (I'd settle for hot and fast, or slow and cool, but not both) and it will actually be worth buying. For now, that 6400+ is a great chip, enjoy it.

Well, it seems that either way, I'll be able to go Quad later but is it known whether or not the Phenoms will be able to compete later next year with the Intels? It appears that the current gen of Phenoms are a tad slower in most benchies I've seen thus far. Are the current AM2+ boards, in any way, hampering the performance of these Phenoms? Also, whats the projected date of release for the next chipsets (AM3 and whatever Intel has coming)?

All very nice opinions, which makes it hard to decide. Anyone have any benchmarks or know what keywords to search for regarding possibly comparing the performance of the two (overclocked intel vs highend amd)? Raw power seems to shift in the 6400+'s favor as its faster out of the gate at stock.

Whatever happens, Phenom will certainly be affordable. If it were me, though, I'd wait until AMD has their bugs and hopefully their power consumption under control.

Back