Res vs Size vs Aspect vs Type

Turbosound

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have a Dell 30" 2560x1600 IPS, 16/10 monitor for my PC that I use for Audio Post Production, Photo Editing, Gaming, watching Blu Ray .MKV's and surfing the web. I have a studio desk where the display is 5' away from my chair and if I watch .mkv's I sit even further away. I was wondering if a 42"-46" 1920x1080, 16/9 monitor (public display, no tuner) be better or worse? I don't think they make those displays in IPS. Also is displayport the best connection for picture, assuming that I have a displayport connection on my graphic card?

If you are having trouble seeing small things on your screen, then it may be better for your situation. They do make large 1080p LFDs in IPS. The res downgrade is your biggest hit.. if possible try running your 30" at 1920x1080 for a while though and see if your workflow actually fits into that small a resolution (I'm especially dubious of the audio post-production..)

5' is a long long way away.. have you considered some sort of arm to just bring the 30" closer to your face?

I have to windows 7 running at 1280x800, or else I can't see anything... and I have very good vision. The OS res doesn't effect the res of an image or video, so that's where I leave it. Even wall mounted and extended I will still be atleast 4.5' away from the display, so I don't interfere with a mixing console.

Definitely a waste using that display then.. going to 1080p is actually an upgrade if you're doing that.

How about something like NEC MultiSync V421? (first one I noticed that was S-IPS.. no experience of the display personally)

Also someone on the forums has an HP LD4200 - judging by its contrast ratio I'm guessing it's IPS (*VA panels would be higher).

Definitely a waste using that display then.. going to 1080p is actually an upgrade if you're doing that.

How about something like NEC MultiSync V421? (first one I noticed that was S-IPS.. no experience of the display personally)

How would I be upgrading if I run a larger display in the same res 1280x800? Also is IPS the best panel type?

It sounds like you want as big pixels as possible, if so go for a normal HDTV of whatever size you can fit and feed it 720p.

You definitely wouldn't want to run it at 1280x800. 1280x800 works on your current screen, as it's half its native resolution (4x4 pixel blocks). Run it at 1920x1080. Or as mashie mentioned you could hamper yourself by getting a native 1366x768 set, I suppose.

Regarding panel type, *VA screens have deeper blacks, but the pixels are slower to update. Since you're going to game on it too, this may affect fast movement, but can vary between models and some people notice it more than others.

If you go for a TV instead of LFD then keep in mind many have bad input lag.. there's a thread knocking about on the first few pages here which recommends some currently available models to look at, may work out cheaper.

I would be going for a 42"-46" pubic display with no tuner from NEC, Sony or mabey Pansonic. I would never get a TV, wouldn't that be less quality? As far as the panel types go which one is the best and should I use Displayport?

DP, DVI and HDMI sends the same image data. DP has the benefit of being able to drive multiple displays.

30in IPS @ 2560x1600, 100.63 PPI, .2524 Dot Pitch.
Running the same display at 1280x800, 50.31 PPI, .5048 Dot Pitch.

42in @ 1920x1080, 52.45 PPI, .4843 Dot Pitch.
46in @ 1920x1080, 47.89 PPI, .5304 Dot Pitch.

Using the 42-46in screen @ 1920x1080, the switch would be pretty seamless as far as objects on screen. Minimal change in the size of anything on screen, but significant gain in resolution.

I take it, replacing the display with a bigger one @ 1920x1080 would be better for my situation. The downside would be not being able to play games or view pictures @2560x1600. What about increasing the font size in windows? Well I quess I'm in the market for a 42"-46" LFD, what is the best panel type?

1) Is there any 46" LFD (without speakers and tuner) that is 2560x1440?
2) Are all LCD's and LED's either IPS, SPVA or TN panel types?
3) What type of panels are the consumer HDTV's?

From what I understand IPS panels are the best and I'm wondering if ther is such thing as a LFD 46"@1920x1080 or 2560x1440 IPS panel that has Displayport. Right now the one I'm looking at is the NEC X461S but it is a SPVA.

Back