Reseat with AS5?

BronxBartoni

Limp Gawd
So i just got some AS5, and I have a vf700cu on my 68GT. Idles at 50 C, although it used to idle at 42. Should I reseat with the AS5? Would it make that much of a diff than the Zalman paste?

BronxBartoni said:
So i just got some AS5, and I have a vf700cu on my 68GT. Idles at 50 C, although it used to idle at 42. Should I reseat with the AS5? Would it make that much of a diff than the Zalman paste?

it could, if your doing that might as well lap it while your at it...

BronxBartoni said:
what the fuck is lapping, i know it involves doin something to the surface of the hsf :confused:

Here you go

It comes with complete instructions and what-not. I think you can download them on their site too if you want to go somewhere else to buy the supplies to do it.

good luck :D

hmm... lapping is only really useful if the core AND the heatsink are lapped. And lapping videocard cores isn't the safest or wisest thing to do... lots of little fiddly bits that can get knocked off making it into a very expensive paperweight.

Usually it's the core that has the biggest surface irregularities.. easy way to test that is to coat the core with something colored (jiffy marker maybe) and put the heatsink on and wiggle it around a little. Take it off and you'll see where the highpoints are.

Not that there's a lot you can do about them without lapping... <shrug>

As for AS, be very careful not to smear any of it around the core, and use as little as possible. It can conduct and burn out your card or at the least cause stability issues.

Logan321 said:
Usually it's the core that has the biggest surface irregularities.

One would think that the reason we use thermal transfer compound would be to fill in these irregularities. If there were no irregularities and both the CPU die and the heat sink were perfectly flat there would be no need for any thermal transfer compound.

Also any irregularities on the CPU die are microscopic at best. The reason why one wants to use the least amount of thermal transfer compound as possible is that it should only be filling in these microscopic imperfections.

Back