reselling overclocked chips?

wxkid23

Limp Gawd
I have never done overclocking in the past but am planning to with either a new Q9550 or Q6600. I would like to use this chip until the new stuff is affordable. How much does overclocking (probably mild OC say 2.4 to 3.4 type stuff) affect the resell value of these chips? I see very few used chips on Ebay but a few here at H. I would really like to be able to resell my chip to help pay for a new Neh chip.

If I buy a used chip I assume it's been at least mildly overclocked anyway, regardless of what the seller says, so at least for me it won't affect the resell value one bit if you told me that Q6600 G0 SLACR was running at 2.4GHz the whole time :D

BTW 2.4 to 3.4 is not "mild," don't set your expectations too high :)

It normally doesn't hurt the resell value, especially here, and it could even help it if you get a good overclocker.

Sellers on ebay post listings advertising the overclock ability of the chip. I'd say go for it. You'd have to to try to hurt one of these chips to actually do it. Since I've made the switch to intel I couldn't have been happier with my PC.

in my experience most "used" chips were overclocked at least some.

If they seller claims they never overclocked it. Then its probably a chip that they tried to overclock and didn't get the results they wanted so they're selling it!!
(ie: its a crappy overclocker or at least under average overclocker)

Most people tell you this chip will do x.x Ghz at x.xxx volts, etc. if its a decent overclocker.

Overclocking a chip only mildy affects the its useful life.... unless you really overvolt it and neglect to cool it.

I am still nervous about buying used pc components. I have only done it twice in the past and both times they worked about right, but both had slight problems. A mobo I bought hads onboard sound that didn't work, and a Lian Li case I bought was scratched up much worse then advertised and had a bunch of sticky stuff left over inside ><

I'm sure a processor would be a different story, as overclocking one properly won't negatively affect its life span to badly, and purchasing one that has proven to be a solid overclocker is very handy.

I'm just nervous about the whole idea personally, and will be sure to purchase off the H forum's next time rather then ebay ><

I'd be careful about buying something off eBay, personally, because there are some shady characters there (and some great sellers also) - I've never had a problem buying anything from a forum member here though.

I bought plenty CPUs on eBay without any problems.
The key is to look at the seller's history.
Most CPUs are very reliable unlike memory or motherboard.
It is also relatively easily to test the stability of a CPU.
One potential problem with motherboards is missing accessories (a non existent issue with CPU).

Back