Reseting Permission?

Dark_Seph

Weaksauce
Hello every one, I have a bit of a issue that is hampering my ability to transfer old files to my new harddrive. On my old computer I had set permission for my secondary harddrive to my special admin login account to prevent one of my friends from getting to sensitive information when they used my computer. Well this week my new cpu parts came in, and I formated my primary harddrive forgetting to remove permission on my secondary. Now It wont let me access my secondary harddrive on this new format.

My question is, is their any method of removing this permission (or moving the files) without formatting the harddrive and loosing all information.

(For both computers its windows 2kpro Sp4, bothing being NTFS file format)

Thank you all in advance

Any admin account can assume ownership of files. Just do that (recursively) on the locked-out hard drive. (it's in security or some tab like that) Then you can disable the previous setting.

That is the odd thing though, their is no security tab if I right click the harddrive.
If I try to access it it says.

E:\ is not accessible.
The wrong Diskette is in the drive. Insert (volume serial number: ) into drive E:\

If I go to Computer Managment -> Storge -> Logical Drives, and go to security on the E:\ drive from their I get the message.

You only have permission to view the current security information on Local Disk (E:)

Thank you for responding :)

Another thing, The western Digital tools show the 80 gig intact, and its file system (it does not show the files).

I just posted this in another thread but if you can't do anything else try BartPE to copy the files <have to load network drivers>

BartPE

The BartPe did not fix it, It still would not let me get access to E:, it said the same errors as before. Is it possible that their is a linux client that could help.
Thank you all once again.

Dark_Seph said:
Hello every one, I have a bit of a issue that is hampering my ability to transfer old files to my new harddrive. On my old computer I had set permission for my secondary harddrive to my special admin login account to prevent one of my friends from getting to sensitive information when they used my computer. Well this week my new cpu parts came in, and I formated my primary harddrive forgetting to remove permission on my secondary. Now It wont let me access my secondary harddrive on this new format.

My question is, is their any method of removing this permission (or moving the files) without formatting the harddrive and loosing all information.

(For both computers its windows 2kpro Sp4, bothing being NTFS file format)

Thank you all in advance

Shot in the dark here, but it sounds more like you encrypted the drive accessible only to the admin account. To my knowledge (and it's not great in this area), once you have done this and deleted the public / private keys then the directory, or drive in this case, remains encrypted, unable to be decrypted. My guess is, you've lost the info.

Helpful linkage here, and here.

Keep us posted.

Cheers.

Oh one bit of detail that could be important that I left out, after I removed the secondary I placed it in another computer, and I could access security via that CPUs Admin account and I could get into the harddrive, all files intact. The next day, when I removed the harddrive, the computer that this harddrive was in, had been formated a hour after this secondary harddrive was removed.

Yeah, that might be important. When you reinstall Windows and it's not part of domain (i.e. it's part of a workgroup) then Simple File Sharing is enabled by default. That means that many of the nifty file-related security features aren't going to be there. Follow this linkage for instructions on how to return the security tab (basically, disable simple file sharing).

This is, of course, assuming that there isn't any hardware failure.

Cheers.

My other cpu is running Xp Pro, do you think I should try to plug the harddrive into their and see if I can access it? From their If I can transfer files over :eek:

If the simple file sharing thing didn't work, absolutely you can give that a shot a see what happens. You shouldn't be able to hurt anything.

Cheers.

Well I popped it in my other CPU, and Same thing. It denied access....
Im going to try a linux OS, maybe mandrake 10 (well im comforable with the newbie mandrake). Hopefully I can get to the harddrive, if not I may have to format it, which I dont want to do at all :(.

If any one else has suggestions, I would love to hear them, becuase Im running out of ideas! :(

Try looking at this for the heck of it. Can't hurt anything at this point.

OK. Just played around with this a bit and it MIGHT work but you're going to have to mess with some settings. I was able to reset permissions for an entire drive through this. Granted, the drive was already accessible, but see what you come up with. Good luck.

Cheers.

Well, I can play around with security (when I check owners, in advanced security options it says unable to display current owner). Yet when I try to APPLY this I get.

The data is invalid.
Failed to Save

Im gonna continue to play around, this is much farther than I have gotten before.
Thank you so much for the link!

Back