resident evil 5

eon

2[H]4U
seen my brother play the demo before but for some reason never gave it a second glance until last weekend. On a whim my cousin and I played it and had a blast. I liked how it appears the game was designed for coop, like when one person jumps over to another building to unlock the door while the other guy can cover him with sniper fire.
Now I'm thinking to borrow my friend's 360 (the disc drive on mine is broke) and buy RE5 and try to pass it over the weekend on coop.
Is the full game good enough to be worth all this trouble?

bah meant to post this in Console section

Last edited:
Resident Evil 5 is definitely a good game. The few end levels get pretty hairy. There's also plenty of re-playability. You can grind levels over and over again for money to upgrade your guns. Makes killing majini a whole lot of fun. I forget which level exactly but there is this level that starts next to a river in a cave. It's really good for speed running and grinding for jewels/money.

I'm getting a free copy of 5. I've never played any of the RE games, but I do also own 4.

Is 5 a stand-alone game? Should I play 4 first?

(Thought I read somewhere that 4 sucked or didn't have anything to do with 1-3 or something? I just bought it as it was cheap...)

I'm getting a free copy of 5. I've never played any of the RE games, but I do also own 4.

(Thought I read somewhere that 4 sucked or didn't have anything to do with 1-3 or something? I just bought it as it was cheap...)

#1 Yes
#2 Yes
#3 No, 5 is the one that sucks. But since you own it anyways, why not see for yourself?

#1 Yes
#2 Yes
#3 No, 5 is the one that sucks. But since you own it anyways, why not see for yourself?

Given I think 5 has sold the best of them all...never played the others, but 5 is good. I played a BRIEF bit of one of them ~10 years ago, dunno what number it was, and I was unimpressed (but given I played for 5 minutes and it was 10 years ago, I won't count that as actually playing the game. Dunno which one it was...);)

At first I thought 5 sucked, but as I got further in, I realized that it was a pretty good game. Just not as good as 4. And Chris looks like a fucking linebacker.

5 is the one that sucks. But since you own it anyways, why not see for yourself?

Well, I've never played 4 or 5. Well, any of them at all, for that matter.

I could have my freebie be Dark Void, but it got some bad reviews. Should I consider it instead?

Well, I've never played 4 or 5. Well, any of them at all, for that matter.

I could have my freebie be Dark Void, but it got some bad reviews. Should I consider it instead?
RE 5 over Dark Void for sure. I have played all the RE games but RE 4 became more action based and RE 5 is basically just a straight up third person shooter. RE 5 is pretty good game though and I enjoyed the crap out of it.

RE 5 over Dark Void for sure. I have played all the RE games but RE 4 became more action based and RE 5 is basically just a straight up third person shooter. RE 5 is pretty good game though and I enjoyed the crap out of it.

Shoot, that's right, it's a TPS... Still don't understand a TPS instead of an FPS, or why it isn't an option...

Besides wonky controls and cameras (Abe's... well, whichever Abe's game that was on the Xbox...), I have trouble with 'em. I remember GoW (completed maybe 25% of it), I kept screwing myself by putting an object where it looked like my gun was pointing, instead of just putting the object in the center of my screen where the darn bullets apparently were going, regardless of where it appeared my gun was actually aiming by looking at the gun... I finally stopped at some spot where some big monster kept kicking my ass because when I'd run to a corner near a door to set him up to smash it open for me, the camera would naturally go inside the wall and I'd be like WTF!? Though it made sense... The camera either had the option to go inside the wall and let me see nothing, or show me from in front of me, which then doesn't show me where the darn monster is... But I had to go to the wall to get the monster to want to smash the door...

For whatever reason I tend to do retarded stuff in TPSers that I don't seem to do in FPSers... Wish the X part of X-person was an option...

Any good sources out there that can explain what goes into the decision making on third vs. first person? The cameras on too many of them just add to the frustration...

Shoot, that's right, it's a TPS... Still don't understand a TPS instead of an FPS, or why it isn't an option...

Besides wonky controls and cameras (Abe's... well, whichever Abe's game that was on the Xbox...), I have trouble with 'em. I remember GoW (completed maybe 25% of it), I kept screwing myself by putting an object where it looked like my gun was pointing, instead of just putting the object in the center of my screen where the darn bullets apparently were going, regardless of where it appeared my gun was actually aiming by looking at the gun... I finally stopped at some spot where some big monster kept kicking my ass because when I'd run to a corner near a door to set him up to smash it open for me, the camera would naturally go inside the wall and I'd be like WTF!? Though it made sense... The camera either had the option to go inside the wall and let me see nothing, or show me from in front of me, which then doesn't show me where the darn monster is... But I had to go to the wall to get the monster to want to smash the door...

For whatever reason I tend to do retarded stuff in TPSers that I don't seem to do in FPSers... Wish the X part of X-person was an option...

Any good sources out there that can explain what goes into the decision making on third vs. first person? The cameras on too many of them just add to the frustration...

I'm pretty sure it's an unwritten rule that all survival horror games must be third person. Also if you think back to the older games in the series, having those award, tank like controls made the game more scary, because of the clumsiness of the controls. They made it more difficult to survive.

I'm pretty sure it's an unwritten rule that all survival horror games must be third person. Also if you think back to the older games in the series, having those award, tank like controls made the game more scary, because of the clumsiness of the controls. They made it more difficult to survive.

Older games in which series? I'd never played Abe's before, GoW was the first of its series, and I've still never played any RE game?

I think Abe's and GoW's the only experience I've had with TPSers, though. I finally gave up with Abe's... And come to think of it more of the same of GoW, finally gave up...

But recently I was watching a speedrun of Abe's, and it reminded me of just how bad that game was... Half the time when he was fighting a bad guy, the guy wasn't even on the screen due to the bad camera angles...

Oops, it's Munch's Oddysee... But there were times when the camera's staring you straight in the face, so you can't see where you're going...

Older games in which series? I'd never played Abe's before, GoW was the first of its series, and I've still never played any RE game?

I think Abe's and GoW's the only experience I've had with TPSers, though. I finally gave up with Abe's... And come to think of it more of the same of GoW, finally gave up...

But recently I was watching a speedrun of Abe's, and it reminded me of just how bad that game was... Half the time when he was fighting a bad guy, the guy wasn't even on the screen due to the bad camera angles...

Oops, it's Munch's Oddysee... But there were times when the camera's staring you straight in the face, so you can't see where you're going...

I wasn't speaking of a series. I was talking about the genre, survival horror. You know, like Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Alone in the dark, ect.

I love TPS, the fact that I can see my character makes it awesome imo.

Anyway, I think it's the fact that RE5 has bad companion AI that makes it so bad. I hear good things when people play with friends though.

I loved 4, there were a few things that I despised... which returned in 5 but overall it was a great game. I havne't had a chance to play 5 yet... and when I do I need another person to play with me. I don't think I can stand playing with an AI.

I wasn't speaking of a series. I was talking about the genre, survival horror. You know, like Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Alone in the dark, ect.

Well, that doesn't speak well for them then.

Munch and GoW are the only third-person games I've played, and controlling them finally just became too ridiculous. (to make sure it's clear, I've never played a horror genre game...)

I'd find TPP more tolerable if I could have some level of control over the camera.

Why's Penumbra in FPP then? Also haven't played it, but it actually seems like a game that might make sense in TPP? It appeared to have that SH look to it...

I just found RE5 at a pawn shop for $15. I enjoyed RE4 (until I quit out of frustration on the PC), and this one feels a bit like it. I am hoping for some co-op soon.

Resident Evil 4 made the entire series worthwhile. That game was amazing.

Resident Evil 4 made the entire series worthwhile. That game was amazing.

Well, my apologies for having the story backwards. At least this explains why I probably bought the game (over two years ago). I do remember checking out the reviews before grabbing it as well.

so far I'm loving it, one of the best coop experiences I've had in ages
now I'm going to look for other coop games I may have looked over on the 360

I've had no problems playing with a mouse and keyboard at all. I think it's a damned good game myself. Gorgeous with all the eye candy maxed out.

I think the problem was that RE4 was ported without mouse support. That would be the cause of frustration...in fact I was also quite aggrivated over this. I ended up buying a Xbox 360 wireless controller for PC as a result.

Back