Resolution - vs - AA & AF - etc.

TroyTalksNoMore

Supreme [H]ardness
Do you have any links to sources that would explain this?

*I would actually like to hear your real life EXPERIENCES - ie:
You had monitor X, got video card Y - and ran at settings Z + opinions!
You had video card X, then got monitor Y - and ran settings Z + opinions!

======================================
I hope you all "get" what I am asking...

What will provide a better gaming experience?

Playing games @ 1280x768 w/ ALL quality features on - on a 32" westy LCD?
- max refresh = 75mhz @ 1280x768

-OR-

Playing games @ 1600x1200 w/ half the features on - on a 21' CRT?
- supports higher resolutions too... Princeton Graphics EO2010.

FYI - I have both type of monitors & just ordered an 8800GT 512mb.

If you have both monitors why can't you just plug both of them in and see for yourself? Even if we do tell you which will "looks" better, you're still going to be curious anyways.

Once you move up resolutions/monitor size, you can't go back.

When I first started computer gaming like more than 10 years ago, I was a kid using my parent's 486 on a 15" monitor playing doom @ 1024x768. Now I play on a 24" LCD @ 1920x1200, and in between I've used a 17", a 19" LCD at 1280x1024, and a 20.1" LCD @ 1680x1050. Each time I upgraded, I swore I couldn't go back to the smaller display.

In terms of balancing resolutions vs. eye candy, with decent midrange cards you can get the best of both worlds. When I had a single 8800gt I could play all my games virtually maxed out with the exception of Crysis at my native resolution (I have to drop AA to 2x instead of 4x in some games) and pull around 30-60 fps.

So I think it's very feasible to have both a high resolution, and lots of eye candy. Although personally, I must have that big display - just feels a lot more satisfying.

37" westinghouse + 8800GT + crysis = Awesome.

of course I'm biased but I do like the 1080p resolution.

Must be old drivers im running everything on high except preprocessing and shadows on medium. I don't have a FPS problem although it will drop to 24 FPS in heavy action sceens...The new drivers + OC really help though. Actualy I was getting 14fps with AA2x enabled hah...

I like [H] reviews but I'm getting beter results on my old 939 setup than they were, and I AM noticing a difference when overclocking the video card despite their results.

I'd go with bigger monitor + lower resolution + higher AA/AF + max settings. That's going to be the better "experience" IMO.

Once you move up resolutions/monitor size, you can't go back.

When I first started computer gaming like more than 10 years ago, I was a kid using my parent's 486 on a 15" monitor playing doom @ 1024x768.

Actually the original Doom was 320x240. It's amazing to go back and look at some of the stuff we once thought was "cutting edge".

And just to keep on-topic, I prefer a higher resolution and more eye-candy than I do AA, I will crank up the AF though. It's all subjective. Try things out and see what *you* like.

Actually the original Doom was 320x240. It's amazing to go back and look at some of the stuff we once thought was "cutting edge".

Ah yes, my mistake.

I remember when Doom 3 first came out how stoked my friends and I were. My machine back then could barely run it on low settings.

IMO I like crysis better at 1680x1050 no aa or af than at 1280x with aa and af

I was gonna say...
I remember when Doom 2 came out on 5 disks and we were like "wooaaah" :)
good times

I was gonna say...
I remember when Doom 2 came out on 5 disks and we were like "wooaaah" :)
good times
lol, I remember the five floppies with the little graphic stickers on them too :D

About the thread, LCD @ native resolution, all sacrifices made to get that. I can't stand the quality drop when an LCD doesn't run at native resolution, and I think AA gives the same effect: the picture just looks blurry and lacks that crispness. I also like having all the eye candy cranked (AF included). I don't know why aliasing bothers people, I never notice it unless I actually stop and try to see it in a roof against the sky or something.

I don't mind sacrificing a little resolution to get better fps / more eye candy. I can't do my monitors native 2560 x 1600 anyway, and everything above 1680 x 1050 is fine for me. I did have to drop to 1280 x 800 to play crysis with details at high, and that resolution is a little horrible. When I had a 1680 x 1050 monitor, 1280 x 800 was fine for me. I run my games at an as high resolution as possible, and IF I can reach 2560 x 1600 I won't do AA even on super old games that my rig could handle..

Back