restart issue

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dell vostro 1400 laptop. I installed OEM vista on it and used the keycode from the laptop to install and validate it. Lost the dell disk but was able to install and validate home premium with another disk and used keycode that came with laptop to validate.

Problem is unit works fine but it hangs up in restart. if i do full shutdown and then restart, it is fine no problems. but if i do straight restart it hangs in booting process and tries to restart over and over.

any ideas as to what casuses this??

A lot of things can cause the ol' reboot loop. The last time I dealt with this, it was caused by a driver. Since installing home premium, did it EVER restart normally? If so, the first thing I would attempt is to roll back to an old restore point back to when it restarted properly.

Some more information would help us help you: Did it ever restart properly with home premium installed on it? Have you updated any drivers recently? Did you reformat and clean install between installing OEM Vista and Home Premium, or did you perform an upgrade?

Ok heres the funny thing. I lost my dell reinstall disk. I still have the authenticity sticker on my laptop so I have keycode to reinstall. So this is a fresh install off OEM home premium disk with keycode of my laptop. authenticated and activated right now. no upgrade.

Funny thing is for a short time I had a retail version on here and it did not do it. Only off the OEM disk.

Ok, so a clean install off OEM Home Premium. I'm assuming that you've already installed the latest Dell drivers for the laptop? Did the reboot problem occur after installing OEM, but before installing drivers?

Since we don't have much information to go on, I'm trying to determine what was the very last time it had no problem, and what was the last action taken when this started occurring?

does it immeadiatly even with no drivers installed. never did with retail ultimate but i sold that

Back