Restoring an OS, without the backup CD but files are on HD

fallguy

2[H]4U
I have a HP dc7-1273cl laptop. I do not have the backup disc it came with, but the files are on the HD under a secondary partition called "RECOVERY". I dug thru there a bit, but cant find a way to put it back to its day one state.

Went thru Windows factory restore, but I dont have the disc, and it wants it. Wondering if there is a way to put it back how it was? Vista was on there, tried the trial version of Win 7, and want to go back to Vista.

Well, I don't know of HP doing this since I work with their business models, and they don't do this, but when you first boot the machine, do you see something like "press F** to enter recovery" or something like that? Usually those recovery partitions are for the bios level recovery systems. I should be the very first screen you see when it powers on.

It says hit ESC for boot options. From there you can run a memory check, hd check, get system information and get into the BIOS. And a recovery option, which I tried... but it wants a disc. I have aboout 6gigs of files in the recovery partition.. just no way of using it as far as I can tell. I would just order another CD, but I dont have the time.

Thanks though. :)

Do you have a Vista OEM DVD or one you can borrow? I'd borrow one and install it with the key on the bottom.

Most modern laptops should allow u to restore without a cd, why does it require a cd is beyond me.

Do you absolutely need your laptop to be like day one? Or you can live with another new installation?

You should have run the HP Recovery Disk Creation tool or whatever it is called, prior to installing 7. Looks like you'll need to call HP and order the recovery discs. :|

Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible
If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition. The Recovery Manager can be launched during the start up process by following the steps below.
Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.
NOTE: Pressing the f11 key during the startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.

If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.
When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the step-by-step recovery instructions shown above.

Taken from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00809678&product=18703#RestoreWithoutWindows

If the machine is still under warranty you should be able to get them to send a free recovery disc set.

With whatever utility you use to manage partitions, change the recovery partition to "active" or "boot" and restart the computer, it should boot to recovery ambient and restore windows to factory state.

Back