"Retro" Games...

thisperishedmin

Limp Gawd
Where do you guys go for your older games?

I just got an N64 recently and have been trouble finding games...most of the good stuff is picked clean at the local music store / farmers markets. The only way to get controllers is bundled with consoles...and the heck if you can find any RCA connectors for sale un-bundled...

Of course, I'm aware of Amazon and Ebay...but the shipping ends up making ordering a few various items cost more than they presumably would paying a bit extra local...

Are there any chain stores that still deal in them that I'm not aware of? I've been poaching craigslist to minimal avail...

Subject also applies to SNES and to an extent PS1...my cousin just got a PS1 for some unknown reason, refusing to believe me that a slim ps2 would do all the same things better haha.

Thanks and discuss...

May I also quick slip in...I've been having more fun with the n64 classics than any current gen console / PC games from the last 3 years...what has happened to this industry? :confused:

i also had fun buying n64 games like 2 years ago. Best way to find some games was ebay for me. Try to hit some garage sales if there are any around you , you could be surprised!

and the original Conker is the best of all!

Sometimes local 'Mom and Pop' stores are a goldmine for retro games. If you joined up any videogame community sites you can probably trade for a bunch of older titles. I actually have a few SNES games I wouldn't mind parting with.

Where do you live? Here in NE Ohio we have The Exchange, buybacks and a few other small stores. (I bought a copy of Sub Zero Mythologies from buyback for $3.99 and turns out it was brand new in box just not sealed!)

Over the last couple years I've been building my collection of PS2/PS1/N64/Game Cube/SNES/Genesis games. So far I have almost 80 PS2 Games (most of the classics and then more unknown gems), and picking up many of the games I remember and some that were highly rated I never played! (ICO, Super Metroid, Zelda: Link to the Past, Zombies at my Neighbors, Crimson Sea 2, Toe Jam and Earl Panic in funkitron, Eternal Darkness, etc....)

As for accessories and games, eBay isn't bad, I've picked up about 6 or so games, mostly "buy it now" and try to get the ones that have free shipping.

If you are looking for RCA connectors for Nintendo, look for the refurbished ones from the Nintendo store. If you want the best picture though you want S-Video cable (Same cable can work on SNES/N64/Game cube) You want to get the S-video only from the Nintendo store (expensive but eBay ones don't work and found they aren't even hooked up correctly)

Actually the last week I rebuilt my SNES which I just bought 2 weeks ago (new top case, internal connector for cartridges, cleaned the controllers and all my cartridge based games. Tonight I just fixed my Genesis 2 (pulled from storage from over 6 years ago!) which had power issues and needed soldered and the connector cleaned up. I just e-mailed a guy in Germany about his S-Video adapter so I could build it in, and looking at overclocking the system from 7.67MHz to maybe 10MHz (w00t!)

As for the industry, It annoys me, I haven't even thought about a Wii (well maybe after it gets to $150 or less), PS3 (have to wait for the Slim version, God of War 3, and Splatterhouse), Xb360, I upgraded my computer to a Quad-Core Ph-II 940, GTX260, 8GB DDR1066 and its a waste since there hasn't been much released that is good in the genre's I like or get board very fast!

Anyways, good luck, pawn shops, antique malls, garage sales, friends are probably some great ways to get a hold of older things. Even posting here in the For Sale/Buy forums might turn out something good.

i also had fun buying n64 games like 2 years ago. Best way to find some games was ebay for me. Try to hit some garage sales if there are any around you , you could be surprised! and the original Conker is the best of all!

I just bought this sucker from a local store, I do have the expansion ram pak and do see some slowdowns, is this normal? Its not as bad as Donkey Kong 64 though.

I'm spoiled. I have 2 very large retro gaming stores where I live. One of them even does imports for you.

A good mom and pop is probally your best bet if there is one in your area.

Rogue Trip: Play "The Zombies Ate My Neighbors" as soon as possible if you never did...game is excellent. used to scare my 8 year old shit out of me haha.

To all: I'll probably just snag the S-Video cables from the Nintendo store...can I use an adapter from Svideo to composite video for a friends house or something where svid is unavailable? If not I'll just have to use the dumpy cable type I already have haha

I gotta think a bit to find some mom and pop shops around here...the farmers markets, like I said...have been overpriced and understocked. I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting in the area...

I played Mario 64 for about 4 hours straight lastnight without realizing it ...I got 37 stars in one sitting haha. Love it.

Rogue Trip: Play "The Zombies Ate My Neighbors" as soon as possible if you never did...game is excellent. used to scare my 8 year old shit out of me haha.

To all: I'll probably just snag the S-Video cables from the Nintendo store...can I use an adapter from Svideo to composite video for a friends house or something where svid is unavailable? If not I'll just have to use the dumpy cable type I already have haha

I gotta think a bit to find some mom and pop shops around here...the farmers markets, like I said...have been overpriced and understocked. I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting in the area...

I played Mario 64 for about 4 hours straight lastnight without realizing it ...I got 37 stars in one sitting haha. Love it.

I've never played Zombie Ate my Neighbors and can't wait to play it. I'm in the middle of Super Metroid for the first time! Great game!

I did forget one thing, the S-video cable will work with the SNES 1, but not the SNES 2 (the little slim redisigned one), otherwise it works great and can use a S-video to composite adapter to play on anyone with composite input. www.monoprice.com might have them cheap.

I just scored Yoshi Island on SNES and a buch of Genesis games at my exchange, w00t, did find a multi adapter (XBox, PS2, Gamecube) cable that has S-video for $5.00 also that I'm gonna try and see if it works (since I need 2 more S-video for Gamecube, N64), it has a 30 day warranty if not so no worries here!

On Super Mario 64, once I got it again the 2nd time with my N64 I ran through that sucker fast, still a great game!

I used to have a solid, large collection of retro games dating back to my Atari 2600. A few years back I cleaned house, sold off most of what I had, and lost the rest in a fire (multiple legacy consoles (working), and hundreds of games). Starting brand new was like a breath of fresh air, almost like an intervention. No longer do I feel the need to collect because I "have a collection." I save hundreds of dollars a year now. Plus a lot less clutter :)

So today, I tend to buy, play and sell my games keeping a healthy 10-15 game library at all times. Selling my games tends to pay for the hobby, and allows me to keep it a hobby.

The only retro games I have now, are ones that have been re-released lately.

Thats a crying shame to have lost such a library due to fire...but at the same time - you make it sound likes its worked out for the better for you individually. Theres always a fine line between collecting and enjoying...I prefer to enjoy when possible, personally. That applies to games, musical instruments, cars, etc.

I have a tv tuner on the way so I'll be gaming my old systems even more than I already have been. (Won't need to fight for access to the main tv anymore haha)

Thats a crying shame to have lost such a library due to fire...but at the same time - you make it sound likes its worked out for the better for you individually. Theres always a fine line between collecting and enjoying...I prefer to enjoy when possible, personally. That applies to games, musical instruments, cars, etc.

I have a tv tuner on the way so I'll be gaming my old systems even more than I already have been. (Won't need to fight for access to the main tv anymore haha)

I'd like to think it worked out for the better. But it was a shame to lose everything in the fire. I understand the obsession behind collecting anything gaming because well.. there is so much out there to collect! Its a fun hobby because you can always be finding rare items, from all platforms across history.

I used to have a solid, large collection of retro games dating back to my Atari 2600. A few years back I cleaned house, sold off most of what I had, and lost the rest in a fire (multiple legacy consoles (working), and hundreds of games). Starting brand new was like a breath of fresh air, almost like an intervention. No longer do I feel the need to collect because I "have a collection." I save hundreds of dollars a year now. Plus a lot less clutter :)

So today, I tend to buy, play and sell my games keeping a healthy 10-15 game library at all times. Selling my games tends to pay for the hobby, and allows me to keep it a hobby.

The only retro games I have now, are ones that have been re-released lately.

Yep, not to mention all those classics can be emulated and on the Wii, oops that is illegal though. I just sold off most of my collection. Stupid to have a big collection and watch them depreciate. Some games appreciate, which is rare, but thanks to a game that ends with the words "Saga" I paid off 2 months of my car loan.

forgive my ignorance...but what game was that?

freakin awesome either way haha.

Probably Panzer Dragoon Saga for Sega Saturn. I have a friend who owns the game so I got to play it a bit years ago...I don't think its worth even remotely what people want to pay for it but to each their own.

Probably Panzer Dragoon Saga for Sega Saturn. I have a friend who owns the game so I got to play it a bit years ago...I don't think its worth even remotely what people want to pay for it but to each their own.

Thing is I never finished it. I only got past the 2nd disc and somehow I lost the 4th disc, but I bought that for 48 on eBay and then sold the collection with Panzer Dragoon 2 for 180. I did not make that much money off of it to be honest since I paid 70 for it back in the day.

The game that surprised me the most in my collection was Mortal Kombat Trilogy. That game got me 65 bucks on eBay. I think I paid 20 for it like 10 years ago.

Back