Returnal (Confirmed)

Found some random collision issues, items floating here and there, but nothing game-breaking. Didn't try to 100% on PS5, but will go for it on PC.

multiple reputable review sites have mentioned microstutter...sounds like a mostly solid port but I think I'm going to wait for a patch or 2...I'm in the middle of playing Dying Light 1 for the first time so I have time to wait

I'm glad that Unreal Engine 4 is reaching its end of life as it's one of the main causes of PC stutter
??

Unreal 5 is a thing.. shitty Unreal engine aint going anywhere. All Unreal engines have done this.. Expect the same from 5.

??

Unreal 5 is a thing.. shitty Unreal engine aint going anywhere. All Unreal engines have done this.. Expect the same from 5.

I've played plenty of UE game that don't have any stutter. Ace Combat 7 runs super smooth, but that is an older build of UE4. Same with Insurgency Sandstorm. FF7 Crisis Core Reunion is also on UE4 and it is perfectly smooth but that is a PSP port.

??

UE4 was very single-thread limited...as far as shader compilation, UE5 hopes to deliver an automated Pipeline State Object (PSO) gathering system at run-time, which pre-caches all PSOs that are required by the game...the pre-cache request will be handled as soon as an asset is loaded into the background

Nixxes incorporated this into the PC version of Horizon: Zero Dawn post-release...the game launched with stuttering issues, which were later resolved by pre-compiling shaders...UE5 is not just a simple upgrade from UE4, it's a significant new version

Returnal- February 17th Patch Notes

The update addresses a number of issues, including the grass draw distance on Epic Particle settings that Digital Foundry recently reported...it also fixes the "rare issue" with music stopping during Biome entry, as well as problems with incorrectly detecting Ultrawide monitor setups and Windows resolutions on the first boot, too...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1649240/view/3640634026216844191?l=english

looks like Returnal is underperforming on PC just as it did on PS5...although I'm guessing that it'll do better on PC once the price drops

According to SteamDB, Returnal’s concurrent player count has peaked at 6,691, or around 10 percent of what games like God of War (73,529) and Marvel’s Spider-Man (66,436) have peaked at...that said, it could be worse – Returnal has still done much better than Sackboy: A Big Adventure, which peaked at a somewhat embarrassing 610 players...so no, Returnal isn’t an outright flop, but Sony and Housemarque were probably hoping for a stronger PC debut

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Sony and its studios are not accustomed to releasing niche genres on PC at expected market rates, after decades of milking console players who will put up with being exploited for every cent they have. Both Sackboy and Returnal both should have been in the $25-30 range on their PC release. This is not an indication of the quality of the game, but an indication of being a two year old niche genre game on the PC platform where the entire userbase has a long backlog of games. Not to mention the roguelike genre automatically turns off a % of the playerbase.

Sony and its studios are not accustomed to releasing niche genres on PC at expected market rates, after decades of milking console players who will put up with being exploited for every cent they have. Both Sackboy and Returnal both should have been in the $25-30 range on their PC release. This is not an indication of the quality of the game, but an indication of being a two year old niche genre game on the PC platform where the entire userbase has a long backlog of games. Not to mention the roguelike genre automatically turns off a % of the playerbase.
I think it's less the price and more that it's a somewhat niche game released right after Hogwarts Legacy which has turned out to be a monster. Plus there's the lack of marketing; gamers that I've mentioned Returnal to have never even heard of it (even PS5 gamers have no idea what it is).

As for Sackboy; well, no one gives a shit about Sackboy as a mascot/leading character and the platforming in the previous level building games (I can't remember what they were called even though I played the first one or two) was floaty and not great from what I remember.

Last edited:

Spot on. The asking price is too high. That's the only problem.

I still plan on getting this once the price drops as I'm a fan of the gameplay and I hear it's a really underrated title...some folks are calling it the best PS5 title released thus far

I've been getting Fatal Error and collision bugs. Also this one right in the middle of my no-death run: Nemesis did not fully form in the final phase.. so I could not damage it directly (unless I was WAY close and under it).

I still plan on getting this once the price drops as I'm a fan of the gameplay and I hear it's a really underrated title...some folks are calling it the best PS5 title released thus far

I don't like rogue style games and even I have to salute this with respect. (I had played it on the PS5 when there was a sale)

I hope the tech issues get fixed for people who bought this.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1649240/view/3657524427208824413

PATCH NOTES:
  • Multiple optimisation improvements to reduce stuttering on CPUs with fewer than 8 cores.
  • Updated PSO system to reduce stuttering when Ray Tracing is enabled.
  • Fixed crash that can occur when finding or using translocators.
  • Fixed crash that can occur during various combat or high particle effect situations.
  • Enabled Intel's XeSS screen scaling technology on non-Intel hardware.
  • Fixed blocker that can occur when killing the Typhonops and using a Reconstructor.
  • Fixed 3840x1600 resolutions not displaying correctly.
  • Fixed Steam overlay run time being out of sync with in-game cycle time.
  • Optimised installation process to reduce file size.

Yeah, I have been waiting for the high particle/combat crash fix.

Sweetness

Returnal- April 19th Patch is Now Available

-Upgraded to AMD FSR 2
-Added option to manually rebuild PSO (Pipeline State Object) through Settings > Graphics
-Fixed specific hitches that can occur during boss fights
-Fixed out of world issue when loading into the start room of Crimson Wastes after suspending
-Fixed issue with sandstorm appearing where it shouldn't in Crimson Wastes
-Fixed issue with sandstorm vignette sometimes appearing on Crimson Wastes after suspending

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1649240/view/6360813434325680193?l=english

Returnal- April 19th Patch is Now Available

-Added option to manually rebuild PSO (Pipeline State Object) through Settings > Graphics

what does manually rebuilding the PSO (Pipeline State Object) do?...is that the same as shader compilation?

Last edited:
what does 'Added option to manually rebuild PSO (Pipeline State Object) through Settings > Graphics' do?...is that the same as shader compilation?
Basically. PSOs describe how the hardware will behave when interacting with the software, which includes the compiled shaders.

I suck at games like this. I never even made it to the first boss fight.

Repeatedly dying, and being returned to the beginning… even though that’s obviously the premise of the game… just felt too… punishing, though maybe I wasn’t in the proper frame of mind at the time. It didn’t help that the world kept transforming. Nor that I couldn’t get a handle on the weapon or skill situation - you lose all skill points and weapons when you die… some of it you don’t lose? I just couldn’t figure it out, though again, maybe I wasn’t really in the right frame of mind.

With this game I quickly became irritated and confused… which is not good when, at the end of the day, you’re trying to unwind.

I’d like to try again though. I can see that this game could potentially be addictive. That said, my backlog…

Back