returning 1905fp to get a 2001fp?

jsh3d

n00b
My 1905fp showed up earlier this week. I've read a lot of people here saying not to get it, but I figured I'd try it since it was pretty cheap. I was upgrading from a really old and bad 19" crt.

I've used it for a few days, and it's a huge improvement from the crt, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. The ghosting is pretty extreme, and I'd really like to be able to run at 1600x1200. I also feel silly because everybody is bashing the 1905fp but saying the 2001fp (which I can maybe afford) is great.

On the other hand, image quality/contrast/view angle on this thing is to me amazing, and I can't see any dead pixels. Only major problems are the small/strange screen resolution and extreme ghosting. As I understand it, these are characteristics of the PVA panel that is used in this screen.

I guess what I'm asking is, for those who've seen both these monitors, is the image quality of the 2001fp better or worse than the 1905fp? Is the 2001fp worth the $100? Is there any reason not to get it?

Note: I'm not a hardcore gamer (only a casual gamer), so if image quality was far better on the 1905fp I might stick with it.

thanks
-jsh3d

I have neither, but am just now purchasing the 2001FP. From what I've read it's a really good LCD. I thought the 19" had some issues that the 20" doesn't (sorry I can't remember what they are).

Anandtech has a good review on the 2001FP (and the 19" too I guess). Tom's Hardware (cough) did a review on the 2001 and said it wasn't too great for gaming. That's what I do most, although I read you're just a casual gamer...so whatever.

Anyway... I'm curious to hear what people's experiences are with the 2001FP too. Especially for gaming (FPS's like BF1942, CS, Far Cry).

Hi jhs3d

I have a 1905FP. It is a good monitor, I had it for more that a month and had no problems. I don't play games just DVD and surf the net. The L.C.D. meets my needs just fine.
On this forum you can search for more information on the Dell 19inch LCD monitor.

When it comes to 2001FP monitor it is better than the 1905FP because the Dell 19inch monitor has 25ms respond time that is the reason why there is ghosting when you play games and 1280x1024 resolution but the 2001FP is 1600x1200 and 16ms responds time.

The 2001FP is a better 20inch monitor because you can play games and it is 1inch bigger so you can watch DVD movies. From the modern scale 19inch is 48 centremeter and 20inch is 51 centremeter L.C.Ds, it is 3 centremeters bigger than than the Dell 19inch monitor.
Not every one is bashing the 1905FP Ultrasharp monitor and some people in this forum have said negative things in the 2001FP monitor about light leakage and dead pixels, you have to read about it just look around.
There is the Dell 2405FPW monitor and I have seen some pictures of people who have bought it and it is very impresive. You may want to read about it before thinking of replacing the Dell 1905FP monitor.

mike8

I just purchased a 2001fp - I haven't experienced any ghosting. I'm just a casual gamer (main WoW) and I love this monitor althought my Mitsu. DiamondPro was bada$$ while it lasted.. (started to lose its brightness @1600)

I ordered the 1905 3 weeks ago and I think that if you are not a hard core gamer you will be extremely pleased with it.

The color reproduction is great, blacks are really black and I didn't have one stuck pixel. I was really amazed at the bright colors and wide viewing angles.

Gaming on the other hand is pretty bad. I tried HL2 and COD and after 20 minutes or so my head actually started to hurt from the blurryness, or ghosting I guess you would call it.

After the review I read on this LCD on Anandtech they rated it pretty good on gaming but I must be more sensitive than most.

So I ordered a 2001fp and wow there really is a difference in color reproduction. The blacks on the 2001 when compared to the 1905 look almost greyish and there is some backlight leakage on the 2001 and absolutely none on the 1905.
Colors on the 2001 are good but the 1905 are just a little bit better.

I could probably only tell this because they were sitting side by side.
But to me gaming is what counts and the 2001 really shines when it comes to this. I noticed very little ghosting when playing HL2 and none at all on COD and Max Payne, and on this big screen they really looked awesome. Never will I go back to a CRT.

So I guess if your not into gaming all that much I think you would be really happy with the 1905.

hmm, well, I was just able to get the 2001fp for $140 more so I decided to go for it. Mostly because of the resolution/gosting. Hopefully image quality won't be too much worse. I'm going to be sending back the 1905fp before the 2001fp shows up so I won't be able to look at them both at the same time, so hopefully I won't go crazy compareing them :D

I'll post when the 2001fp show up.

thanks
-jsh3d

[edit: 2 weeks later]

I figured I'd post for those who find this and have the same question.

The 2001fp just showed up. So far, it looks absolutely excellent. really amazeing display. As far as I can see, the 1905fp's image quality wasn't really any different/better. No ghosting, and the higher res rocks. The physical size actually seems a lot bigger too (probably because of the 1600x1200). Very much worth the extra cash :)

Back