Returning to Win7 from Win8 upgrade

UncleMeat

Weaksauce
Hi, i have an Asus Essentio i3-2120 / 8Gb / Intel H61 rev. B3 Chipset (not sure which model). This was originally shipped with Win7, but was upgraded to Win8 by the chap i bought it from. I would like very much to return it to Win7. CPU-Z reports 3 models under the mainboard section (CM6731 / CM6431 / CM6331) which im assuming means that those 3 models all use the exact same mobo, correct? would Asus do a Win7 driver pack for chipset, video, lan, usb etc?

I am extremely concerned about the uefi bios (no experience with them at all) and so would appreciate any advice on how this may affect procedures. Also, as this is an oem machine, there are muiltiple partitions (locked for recovery files maybe?), im not sure how to proceed here.

I bought this pc for the kids (to replace there tired p4 rig) and they where over the moon with it at first, but since we have encountered issues with the usb mouse and kb not working, also the front panel usb's are not working. I'm hoping these issues are all software (mouse does work in the uefi bios) and so maybe returning the pc back to Win7 would sort out these issues. I do know that they secretly prefered Win7 anyway.

Any help /advice / comments would be most gratefully appreciated

Cheers,
Steve ;)

I am extremely concerned about the uefi bios (no experience with them at all) and so would appreciate any advice on how this may affect procedures. Also, as this is an oem machine, there are muiltiple partitions (locked for recovery files maybe?), im not sure how to proceed here.
Boot from the recovery partition. Different PC makers do it different ways, commonly one of the higher F keys like F9 or F11.

You should have a license on the system somewhere if it was shipped with win 7 installed.

Download and burn the appropriate ISO from...
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Install windows with the key on the case, then go to the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers for your system(you can do this in advance and put the drivers on a usb flash drive if you only have this machine to work with.)

At least you can return to Windows 7. Unlike the poor Apple owners who don't like iOS 7, they are screwed, Apple blocks them from going back.

I also suggest installing Windows 8.1 just in case as well. Also, what is the keyboard and mouse that you have? It may be that the usb drivers just need to be removed and reinstalled. Either that or maybe the latest versions of the wireless keyboard and mouse drivers/ software need to be installed.

The problem is, if it is hardware related, switching to 7 would not fix it. Better to verify in my opinion before switching. However, like the comments above, do you have a Windows 7 COA sticker on the bottom of the computer?

Try 8.1 (it's free for you, since you have Windows 8 already) before you go through all of the work of downgrading to Windows 7. If that fixes your problem, you'll come out ahead rather than behind.

I also say give 8.1 a try. Most people who are windows 8 and 8.1 bashers focus on the look of the OS (metro U/I), but the fact is that Windows 8 is optimized much better than 7 was. There are many behind the scenes and code fixes in 8 and 8.1 that aren't in 7, so the same computer should perform better on 8.1, than in 7.

Dear god no.

8.1 is the buggiest pile since Millennium Edition.

Been using 8 for over a year now and just did the upgrade to 8.1. 8.1 is no where near, not even in the same ballpark as Windows ME.

I concur with the majority, upgrade to 8.1. I like it.

Firstly Thanks for the replies :)

I , and i suspect the kids too, would much rather go back to Win7 tbh.

Boot from the recovery partition. Different PC makers do it different ways, commonly one of the higher F keys like F9 or F11.
...at the risk of sounding like a thicky, what will i be doing from the recovery partition? i kinda think in old skool style - download all relevant drivers on a usb stick and format / install one operating system on one partition. I've no experience whatsoever with multiple partitions.

Here is a screenshot of the drive in disk management

DiskManagement_zpsbb8bd6aa.jpg

The 1 Terrabyte drive is split into 4 partitions. What are they all for? ...can i remove them all with a single format?

EDIT:

You should have a license on the system somewhere if it was shipped with win 7 installed.
the case does have an oem Win7 Home Premium license sticker so i should be able to go back to it safely.

Last edited:
...at the risk of sounding like a thicky, what will i be doing from the recovery partition? i kinda think in old skool style - download all relevant drivers on a usb stick and format / install one operating system on one partition. I've no experience whatsoever with multiple partitions.
The idea was to simply put the Win7 that came with it, back on it. The recovery partition, while I presume is the second one there with no drive letter, will nuke whatever is on the OS partition and overlay Win7 back on it.

If you do not wish to go this route, you would get your Win7 disc, boot from it, Custom install, then delete *all* of the partitions (just delete all of them) -=*I really mean it, ALL of them, not 2 of them*=- and click Next.

You don't remove partitions with a format, you have to delete the partition(s), create new ones or just one big one, format as necessary, then install from there.

Thanks again for all replies

The idea was to simply put the Win7 that came with it, back on it. The recovery partition, while I presume is the second one there with no drive letter, will nuke whatever is on the OS partition and overlay Win7 back on it.

If you do not wish to go this route, you would get your Win7 disc, boot from it, Custom install, then delete *all* of the partitions (just delete all of them) -=*I really mean it, ALL of them, not 2 of them*=- and click Next.

If i take route 1 back to original Win7, will i still have uefi bios? is the uefi bios located on that 100Mb partition?

Yes, nothing is replaced in your BIOS. No, the BIOS is on the motherboard not the disk. The 100MB partition is not even an EFI one which contains the boot loader, your OS is currently using MBR (If your BIOS is indeed UEFI, it's currently running Legacy ROM). Oh and you should backup your data even data on the non-system partition (E: ) too. The system recovery tool is supposed to only recover the OS partition (C: ) but who knows.

Last edited:
At least you can return to Windows 7. Unlike the poor Apple owners who don't like iOS 7, they are screwed, Apple blocks them from going back.

I dunno, that makes sense though? Apple's strict control over it's ecosystem is why they are so good at fixing a problem when it does arise (at least in my experience). I am not happy with iOS7 either, but I feel that even if Apple DID allow switching back I probably wouldn't do it. And, if my friends who own Droids have shown any indication, things aren't a ton better for them in that regard (not so much because they can't revert, but I hear plenty of griping in that arena of OS upgrades as well, if not perhaps moreso).

Also, at least iOS7 only affects the phones. Apple has a very stable situation going on with their main OS with their recent Mavericks release.

And yes, Windows 8 makes me very uncomfortable :/ . While it's clear I am currently an Apple owner, I have been waiting for a bit now to get my Windows desktop replacement, and this whole business with Windows going through another crap period is unsettling to me (and I'd rather move ahead than backward so I'd rather not "just get Windows 7" be my only solid option....I wonder how long it will take for a hopefully righted Windows 9.....or maybe a SteamOS machine :p ?).

Don't buy into the "moving backwards" BS that's out there. It's not backwards, it's just different, and depending on what you prefer that different is either better or worse.

Not to mention, Windows is all about customizing (though not to the same extent as Linux). Don't like the interface? Download a different one from the internet.

Kids are usually more open to trying different things than adults are.

Actually my kid likes windows 8.1 better. he had windows 7 and asked me why his computer looked different than mine (mine has 8,1). He said he liked mine better ( he is 6 BTW) So I installed windows 8.1 a last weekend.

Well I'm with the minority. I say if you want to go back to win 7 then do it. I went from win 7 to win 8 (clean install) and I actually like the win 8 setup with start8 installed however I am fast running out of excuses why not to also revert back to win 7. Devices than ran perfectly in win 7 do not function properly in win 8. I have customers who decided to bite the bullet and upgrade further from 7 to 8.1 only to regret it big time as it seems to break many devices that worked in both win 7 and 8.

If win 7 works and is rock stable then I believe it is a mistake to go any further. If you do be sure to make a complete disk image of your win 7 install so it's quick and easy to revert back top win 7 if problems arise. Acronis TrueImage is great for that.

If win 7 works and is rock stable then I believe it is a mistake to go any further. If you do be sure to make a complete disk image of your win 7 install so it's quick and easy to revert back top win 7 if problems arise. Acronis TrueImage is great for that.

Mileage is always going to very and in both directions. While some will have issues with going to 8.x from 7 some won't and often get some benefit from improved performance. Like you said, make backups or get a spare drive and try out an upgrade or clean install there. I pretty much had an easy time with upgrading all of my systems, a few minor issues, the two biggest are slowdowns with my x220t after it's been on a couple a days and my Clover Trail tablet not coming out of sleep properly which causes the video driver to restart. Nothing crashes actually but it takes about 5 seconds to resume in that case when it should be instant. But the performance gain going from 8 to 8.1 on that device is worth it.

Kids are usually more open to trying different things than adults are.
Aye, i hear you, but we're a right bunch of hobbits, don't like change. I remember being pulled kicking and screaming from XP to Win7 :rolleyes:

Appreciate all the help guys, now i may have a fighting chance at sorting this out for them ;)

EDIT: God i should be in bed :eek:

8.1 works just fine except for IE11 it has some problems they need to work out.Use Chrome

Not a fan of Windows 8 at all, I installed it for a few people but wasn't interested. Only played around with it for about 30-60 minutes but it was beyond irritating. Windows 7 Ultimate is great and I will never install Windows 8 or 8.1

Not a fan of Windows 8 at all, I installed it for a few people but wasn't interested. Only played around with it for about 30-60 minutes but it was beyond irritating. Windows 7 Ultimate is great and I will never install Windows 8 or 8.1

What was so irritating about it? I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 8.1 myself but I've seen mixed views on it.

Back