Reusing laptop LCD display without paying $200? Perhaps!

tom61

[H]ard|Gawd
If I recall correctly, that only limits the display to 16 colors? A controller card really is a feasible option, and you get the resolution and color depth you deserve. I've been quoted in the $150-200 range by several controller card vendors.

Originally posted by xonik
If I recall correctly, that only limits the display to 16 colors? A controller card really is a feasible option, and you get the resolution and color depth you deserve. I've been quoted in the $150-200 range by several controller card vendors.

Too costly, for an LCD from a $50 laptop that died at least. You can get a desktop LCD for that, when it's on sale with a rebate or two. 16 color would be OK for basic tasks (temps, winamp, etc.), this isn't exactly going to be a main monitor for a system (considering finding an AGP card that has a VESA connector is very hard).

Would this mod work on a Compaq IA-1? I have one just laying around, i'd love to make something out of it and this would help me out.

Originally posted by xonik

Ya but if you have a dead laptop and you could mount that screen on the side of a BSD box you could always have a display attatched to it. On my BSD box I dont' use any graphical stuff it's purely command line.

nope, and i had that exact same panel :(

Back