Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on 8800GT (dialup beware!)

Yeah it is a but much especially once shipping is added, but some ppl. here have been looking for them for awhile w/o success.

Got a LianLi A05B coming in, doesn't have the greatest airflow, but I am going to have a negative pressure (rear fan is intake, front is exhaust, and the PSU doubles as a minor exhaust), also on the fence about getting the G50B side panel (2 vents above CPU/GPU), that said, might not need to mod a fan onto it, but may as well.

Second and most importantly, I ordered a 8800 GTS, not a GT, would the PCB design be great enough to stop this from working?

EDIT: After looking online, I see the 8800 GTS might have 2 extra ram chips... but it doesn't look that much different elsewise... but if I have to order 2 extra ram sinks that would suck. Hah. Also, heard people using AS5 on the ramsinks instead of the thermal tape, would this yield much cooling difference if at all?

EDIT2: Seems the Rev 2 states the 8800 GTS as working with its design.. so that's good news at least.

Those nice custom ram / vrm sinks are now available at Petra's Tech Shop:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/cu88cokitbyi.html

image00010ph4.jpg

Here's the thread about these at Xtreme Systems:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165270

^ very nice, but that price kills it for me.

I'd just buy some generic copper ramsinks for less than 1/4 of that and some AS5 adhesive.

They are custom made by iandh in his own garage in his free time and he sends them to Petra's for them to sell. Out of stock now though. They sold out in like 10 minutes.

40$ for ram/mosfet heatsinks alone??? wow... they cant be that much better then the heatsinks that come with the 25$ accelero S1 rev2. it does look sleek though, ill give it that.

There's a review showing temps. w/ this sinks. Can't find it atm, but these sinks will stick. They don't use thermal tape. You use AS5 or ceramique with them and they're mounted with push pins / screws.

just installed this on my BFG 8800gt oc2 512mb tonight. wasnt all that hard at all.

accelero s1 ver1 - $42.00
Silenx Ixtrema 92mm blue led fans - 2x $19.00 ea.
baggy of mini zip ties - $1.79

i picked up a speed controller but am returning it.......wasnt necessary. these fans are awesome.

1002034do8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1002042ql1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

idles about 32c, ran an hour of crysis and 3dmark06 benchs and couldnt get it to past 40c.

my old temps were about 42 c idle, max after benching of 79c.

Just mounted my S1 on an EVGA (old fan) 8800GT and slapped on a 120mm Antec Tri-Cool on low speed...my temps were cut my nearly 20C! Quiet, too bood as well! :D

I used to idle at 56-60 depending on ambient temps (usually by the hour of the day) and loaded at 60C on low-powered 3D games and 71-75 on games like COD4 and Crysis.

Now, I idle at 40 and load at 44 at low-powered 3D games. I've yet to test out high-powered 3D games like Crysis, but I doubt it'll break 60. Couldn't be happier, this cooler is a BEAST!

I can see why these things are flying off shelves, they're really great value for money coolers! :)

can the black plastic thing at the bottom be taken off?

I'm afraid it may block a few sata ports on the mobo.

My nVIDIA 8800GT with Accelero S1 and AC silent Turbo Modules.
*For sale.*

Bios: nVidia 8800GT 512mb 1.1v bios mod
Thermal Paste: Stock S1 pasting (MX-2 arriving, should go down by 2-4C)
CPU: Intel e6300 @3.35GHZ 1.375v w/ Tuniq Tower 120mm Fan @ 30%
RAM: Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR800mhz @ 956mhz (478FSBx2)

3DMark '06, NOT A QUAD CORE!
795/1907/1030
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4374272

OVERCLOCKS!!!

||PICTURES||
Idle: 36C /// 8mins+ ATITool Load: 46C
First overclock w/ warmer 23C room temperature and slow-speed side case fans
Idle: 34C /// 11mins+ ATITool Load: 43-44C (Ups and Downs every once in awhile.)
Overclock #2 w/ warm 21C room temperature and medium-speed side case fans

Does anybody have this inside of a CM690 case? It seems like it would have some clearance issues with the lower side case fan, which is where I get the best temps. Anybody have any ideas on where to place that fan and still get good cooling for my whole computer?

What do you guy use to clamp down fan onto the ArcticCooling S1? I couldn't wait until next month for the new shipments to come in so I ordered the Arctic Cooling S2 for my 8800GT.

According to a few reviews I read, S2 doesn't list 8800GT in its supporting videocard list but it has the same kind of holes as S1 and it works on 8800GT. S2 and S1 are also basically the same thing; S1 just has couple 1 or 2 extra copper strips(I doubt that will make more than 1 degrees Celcius difference). Other than that, I believe they are the same. I should have it by about Wednesday since I ordered it yesterday. Anyways, I am thinking of putting a 120MM fan on it but I don't know what kind of pins can I use to put it on. Any suggestions?

Thanks, that was very good review man. I was curious where you guys the cleaner to clean the ram sinks and stuff.. I always used alchohol and a swab but that leaves white "hairs" everywhere as you call it. What did you use exactly ?

blade12, those "copper strips" are heatpipes and they make a huge difference. I'm hoping the "1 degree celsius difference" was a joke. The s1 and s2 are not the same, aside from missing 2 critical heatpipes, the s2 is also smaller with less aluminum surface.

Most people are using zip ties to strap the fan on. I'm running passive, because I have 4 heatpipes.

What do you guy use to clamp down fan onto the ArcticCooling S1? I couldn't wait until next month for the new shipments to come in so I ordered the Arctic Cooling S2 for my 8800GT.

According to a few reviews I read, S2 doesn't list 8800GT in its supporting videocard list but it has the same kind of holes as S1 and it works on 8800GT. S2 and S1 are also basically the same thing; S1 just has couple 1 or 2 extra copper strips(I doubt that will make more than 1 degrees Celcius difference). Other than that, I believe they are the same. I should have it by about Wednesday since I ordered it yesterday. Anyways, I am thinking of putting a 120MM fan on it but I don't know what kind of pins can I use to put it on. Any suggestions?

i used mini zip ties. take your time and it looks pretty good. as for the s1 vs s2..... huge difference. s1 is alot bigger. its like comparing a yugo to an escalade. and yes i would advise on at least one fan for the cooler. better to spend a bit more for a quality quiet fan that pushes more cfm.

Thanks, that was very good review man. I was curious where you guys the cleaner to clean the ram sinks and stuff.. I always used alchohol and a swab but that leaves white "hairs" everywhere as you call it. What did you use exactly ?

(the white hairs wrent from the cotton swabs, but from the old thermal pad junk thats on the original cooler)

this was my first gpu cooler conversion. i bought some goof-off at home depot and some 99% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy. i found cotton swabs worked better than the coffee filters as an applicator. 1 used the goof-off to clean each chip. then did it 2 more times in sequence to assure all the crap was off. then you use the alcohol as a neutralizer. i applied 2 times per chip. cleaned everyting up real nice. ram sinks stuck with no problems. i posted pics previously in this thread if u wanna see the end result.

I just scrubbed semi-hard with Q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol...then I made sure I applied the heatsinks on with pressure for about half a minute each sink. Then I tested the contact by flipping the card to see if any fell down, but none did. As long as you're patient and the RAM chips are rid of the crap that was on it previously, and you put the RAM sinks on thoroughly, you should be fine.

blade12, those "copper strips" are heatpipes and they make a huge difference. I'm hoping the "1 degree celsius difference" was a joke. The s1 and s2 are not the same, aside from missing 2 critical heatpipes, the s2 is also smaller with less aluminum surface.

Most people are using zip ties to strap the fan on. I'm running passive, because I have 4 heatpipes.

I dunno but I based it off this review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/vga-coolers_10.html
I assumed that the temp difference between S1 and S2 would be pretty close on a 8800GT but it was a bad assumption. :p

Does anybody have this inside of a CM690 case? It seems like it would have some clearance issues with the lower side case fan, which is where I get the best temps. Anybody have any ideas on where to place that fan and still get good cooling for my whole computer?
I have one fitted inside my CM 690 It's close but it fits. On the bottom side case i have 120mm fan on. It all fits but just barely you should have no problems.

You do realize that the S2 was tested on a 7600, and the S1 was tested on an X1950, a much, much hotter running card?

nub.jpg

That's why I approximated that both would be pretty close if used on same videocard(According to chart, 7600 stays ~14 degrees cooler with S2 compared to a X1950 w/ S1). If S1 was much better cooler, I would have expected slightly closer temp difference between the 2. No big deal now since I already got my S2 today.
Questions:
1) With all that aside, I finally got my S2. I was going to put it in sometime later tomorrow since I don't have time for it now. Does it matter what kind of fans I put on it? I only have 80MM sleeve bearing fan and don't have any ball bearing fan. Not sure what the difference is between the 2. I assume it won't be a problem.

2) Should I put the fan facing into the videocard(air intake) or face it away from the videocard(push air out)?

3) I have enough space to place 2 of them side by side. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the 8800GT would have 2 fan connecters for 2 fans on it. If it doesn't, I would have to plug fan into normal fan connections across the motherboard. Is there anything I can use to turn off the fans when not gaming and turn them on when gaming? I don't have any physical fan controllers that I can mess around with for that. Perhaps some program can do it?

4) Along with question #3, even if I can get 2 fans on it, do you guys think it would be beneficial putting 2 on or should I just put one on and be done with it? As I said, I don't have any fan speed controllers so it could possibly be a nuisance sound-wise with both fans running at full speed(I doubt it would be louder than my current stock cooler so no reason to complain). Let me know!

Questions:
1) With all that aside, I finally got my S2. I was going to put it in sometime later tomorrow since I don't have time for it now. Does it matter what kind of fans I put on it? I only have 80MM sleeve bearing fan and don't have any ball bearing fan. Not sure what the difference is between the 2. I assume it won't be a problem.

2) Should I put the fan facing into the videocard(air intake) or face it away from the videocard(push air out)?

3) I have enough space to place 2 of them side by side. Unfortunately, I am not sure if the 8800GT would have 2 fan connecters for 2 fans on it. If it doesn't, I would have to plug fan into normal fan connections across the motherboard. Is there anything I can use to turn off the fans when not gaming and turn them on when gaming? I don't have any physical fan controllers that I can mess around with for that. Perhaps some program can do it?

4) Along with question #3, even if I can get 2 fans on it, do you guys think it would be beneficial putting 2 on or should I just put one on and be done with it? As I said, I don't have any fan speed controllers so it could possibly be a nuisance sound-wise with both fans running at full speed(I doubt it would be louder than my current stock cooler so no reason to complain). Let me know!
1) For the long term, it's not a good idea to run sleeve bearing fans in any position but vertically. What happens to sleeve bearings IIRC is the sleeve has a little bit of play in a horizontal orientation and the bearing will wear much more quickly. If they're cheap throwaway fans, it'd be fine, but know that the fans life expectancy drops.

2) I've not seen any comparisons, but I'm pretty sure blowing over the sink and card is the ideal configuration.

3) If the PWM connector on the card supports standard 3-pin fans, you could use a 3-pin Y splitter.

4) It's up to you and your tastes.

Got my Rev.2 and the 120mm PWM fan yesterday and an eVGA 8800GT on the way! Will post up results.

I put the S2 (Cheaper only 2 heatpipes compared to the S1's 4) w/turbo module fans. In a nutshell it does 53C 15 minutes artifact scan @ 700/1980 and idle's at about 39C. Ambient temp is about 20C +/-2C, usually warmer, specially during the summer. And there ya have it, both are just awesome and do just as good if not better as the $50+ solutions.

Another happy customer here.

Just installed my S1 with an old 120mm fan that I cut to act like a turbo module inspired by your pictures.

Stock idle - 65
Stock load - 91

S1 idle - 38
S1 load - 50

Also, that is with my 120mm fan @ 5v :eek::eek::eek:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, BUT...has anyone used 2 Accelero S1's in SLI with the EVGA 780i board. I am curious about fit and possible placement of fans. I am also using one of the PCI slots for my X-Fi..Case is a Coolermaster 690. Specs are in the sig..

Don't know if this has been posted yet, BUT...has anyone used 2 Accelero S1's in SLI with the EVGA 780i board. I am curious about fit and possible placement of fans. I am also using one of the PCI slots for my X-Fi..Case is a Coolermaster 690. Specs are in the sig..

You can do it easily, but you will need to make sure you purchase a long flexible SLI bridge (if your board didn't come with one already). It needs to be long and flexible to accomodate the Accelero S1 since it sticks out a an inch or so above the height of the card.

Fans SHOULDN'T be an issue, especially not if you use the Turbo Module since the 80mm fans it uses are sort of low profile. I'd have to see the board and your components to know for sure though.

Finally installed my S1 Rev. 2 last night:

XFX PV-T88P-YDQ4
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product...ce™+8800&productConfigurationId=1640442

Custom memory, mosfet, PWM sinks
UnisinksInstalled.jpg

Micro-sinks on the back
Micro-Sinks.jpg

Accelero S1 Installed
FrontAccelero.jpg

Used Arctic Silver Ceramique on the card's memory, mosfets and pwms. The Accelero came with Arctic Cooling MX2 pre-applied so I just left it and used that since people say it does just as good a job or even better than AS5. Plus it's not electrically conductive / capacitive like AS5.

Hi, this is good stuff. I'm concerned though were I cam get some good mosfet and PWM sinks from in the uk? Those mosfets are small.

Nice pictures, IsLNdbOi, but I'm wondering what purpose the microsinks on the other side of the PCB serve? :confused:

I've seen posts on various forums where people mention that one of the little chips on the back of the 8800GT gets pretty hot. Didn't remember which one it was so I just put micro-sinks on all of them.

Back