[review] upgrade your 8800GT cooler please.

cookerjc

n00b
88gtstock1.jpg

You know,though 8800GT is good, but its cooler is small and less-effective.

We manage to find out that the 8800GT's stock cooler is only 500 square centimeter. FYI, the 8800GTS stock fan is 2000 centimeter(and it have a better heatpipe design too).

And all of us konw that 8800GT's TDP is 110W. With this high TDP, only a 500 centimeter stock cooler is absolutely not enough.

so we've try some different GPU coolers on 8800GT.

[warning! Coz 88000GT doesn't have the IHS protection(which G80 have), so pls do not put too much pressure on the core or it will broke!]

inno3d_8800gt_512mb_27.jpg

We try these GPU coolers on 8800GT.

cccpal.png

And here is our test bed.(we are using Gainward Expertool to OC the shader)

reference frequency reasult:

normalidle.png

normalload.png

the word behind the the model number:
(high speed)
(low speed)
(high speed)
(low speed)
(high speed)
(low speed)
(Auto)

OC result:

ocidle.png

ocload.png

Please visit original page(now the site loves FF too! :) ): http://www.expreview.com/review/2007-10-31/1193822121d6703.html

Good article, thanks for the link. Might want to add it to the top of the post as well so more people see it.

The 8800 series was the first to have a heatspreader, I'm pretty sure everything before it was a bare core.

I really wish the article would show a profile picture of how these replacements compare to the single slot cooler.

I have a Shuttle and no room to spare, I need to know how much higher these heatsinks are in comparision to the single slot!!!

Sucks you have to spend another $40ish to get a good cooler for the card, kinda kills the great deal :(

Hopefully some of the big companies will come out with dual slot coolers or at least more effective ones. Guessing BFG will do it since they already have their own style cooler for the 8600 series.

What is IHS protection? Do you think they will make revisions of the coolers like the V2 so we don't have to worry about breaking the core?

meh, I'm going to watercool it as soon as a decent full cover block comes out for it. DangerDen told me they are working on one now and hope to have it done in a few weeks.

IHS = Integrated Heat Spreader, it's just a metal plate over the core, results in higher temperatures over direct core contact just about always by a few degrees celsius. Unless you're being reckless, you're not going to crush the core regardless.

You can get silicon cushion things if that makes you feel better, but they might not actually do anything.

EDIT: Like this here. Not sure if it's big enough.

I wish those benchmarks has dBa levels so we could see how loud each of the coolers get. I know there are also other options so it would be nice to see more coolers benchmarked. Doesn't the regular Thermaltake HR03 fit on there?

If you're interested in a custom cooling solution then either find the guts to do it yourself or find someone who will do it for you! :)

the v2 brings up some interesting results but they didn't specify what fan they used..

Surprisingly the VF900 is not too far behind the VF1000. For some reason many people said the VF900 was not able to handle certain ATI cards heat. Definitely was worth the $35 or so I paid a long time ago as I keep transfering it to new cards.

IHS = Integrated Heat Spreader, it's just a metal plate over the core, results in higher temperatures over direct core contact just about always by a few degrees celsius. Unless you're being reckless, you're not going to crush the core regardless.

not true man...i chipped a core on a video card before with almost no pressure at all, i am extremely careful and it still happened.....the core is as fragile as thin glass

at any rate, i knew before i read the entire thing that the Thermalright V2 would own all, they always have

not true man...i chipped a core on a video card before with almost no pressure at all, i am extremely careful and it still happened.....the core is as fragile as thin glass

at any rate, i knew before i read the entire thing that the Thermalright V2 would own all, they always have

I wouldn't call 0-1 degrees difference "owning all".

I wouldn't call 0-1 degrees difference "owning all".

either it's first place or it's not, either it's better or it's not, either it ran cooler or it didn't, winner owns all, Thermalright rocks, /thread

How about noise? Seems like a natural for HSF test.

the Thermalright V2 allows you to use whatever fan you want with it, so you control the noise, unlike the Zalmans that are a paperweight when the fan goes bad

Not true. I've seen people replace the stock fan on the VF-1000 with larger more efficient coolers resulting in even better numbers. Numbers that would "own all". :p

yeah, that HR-03 would beat all of them, another Thermalright product....their stuff rocks man, they really put time into designing better products, not sticking some heatpipes in some fins and calling it a day

lol? I thought that was all they do. They cram more and more heatpipes in their products and they get better. Hey, works for me.

lol? I thought that was all they do. They cram more and more heatpipes in their products and they get better. Hey, works for me.

i now you are joking, but seriously, look at newegg and other online retailers at all the coolers that look like they were made just like the other guys cooler, except that they dont perform like the good ones...its just a copy cat world in the cooling business, theres a few top manufacturers, the others just want to look like them

right now i have a cheap zalman gwb2 water block on my 7950 and i idle at 33 and load at 40. i plan on using it on my 8800 when it arrives. its also dead silent and doesnt collect dust.

Just picked up two of the Thermaltake ND1 for my 8800gt cards. I'll give those a try tonight.

Anybody found an HR-03 GT for sale anywhere?

I need one.

i emailed thermalright about where to buy but looking on their site it doesn't look like they are available yet (i think that web page just went up today)..

really all it looks like is the RevA mounting bracket coupled with the HR-03Plus Heatsink..

if you look on their RevA page it says it will mount on the 8800GT but they recommend the 6pipe cooler for the 8800GT..

i emailed thermalright about where to buy but looking on their site it doesn't look like they are available yet (i think that web page just went up today)..

really all it looks like is the RevA mounting bracket coupled with the HR-03Plus Heatsink..

if you look on their RevA page it says it will mount on the 8800GT but they recommend the 6pipe cooler for the 8800GT..

So I have the 6-pipe HR-03 Plus, and you're saying it should fit on the 8800GT using a different mounting bracket?

The HR-03 NON-plus fits fine with its stock bracket. Bear in mind the "GT" version is basically identical, they are just spinning it with marketing heavily that you should "upgrade" (rofl) to it.

Back