REVIEW-- World of Warcraft Quad SLI at 1920x1200

jtking

n00b
My system is as follows:
Falcon Northwest FX-62
Corsair PC6400C4 2Gb
BFG 7950GX2 x 2
ASUS MN32-SLi Deluxe (Nforce 590 rev 0404)
Silverstone SST-ST60F
Philips Brilliance 230WP7NS 23" LCD at 1920x1200 native
Windows XP Pro SP2

FPS
I have done fairly extensive testing of FPS in WoW now under the new drivers. I have tested with in-game settings and with overrides, both in dual mode and quad mode. For those looking to recreate my FPS numbers, go in-game to the far end of the Stormwind Griffin eyrie, nd look out over the water towards the front gates. Stand near the edge, and rotate around and zoom until you find the LOWEST fps. This is the location that all testing was done from, with no other character models in view.

COMMON SETTINGS
All tests were done at the native resolution of the monitor (1920x1200) with 24bit color depth and 24bit textures. All in-game settings were at maximum with vertex shaders off and no triple buffering. V-Synch was forced on by the Nvidia control panel as well as in-game.

DUAL MODE - SLi disabled
Application Controlled:
1 x Multisampling = 58.3 FPS
2 x Multisampling = 40.0 FPS
4 x Multisampling = 30.0 FPS

In-Game settings at 4x MS:
Nvidia 8xS = 20.0 FPS

In all cases there were noticable edge smoothing differences. In no cases were any any screen corruption or system locks present. Game entered and exited smoothly.

QUAD MODE - SLi enabled
Application Controlled:
1 x Multisampling = 60+ FPS
2 x Multisampling = 50.6 FPS
4 x Multisampling = 39.2 FPS (L,L,L,L)

In-Game settings at 4x MS:
Nvidia 8xS = 22.6 FPS (L)
Nvidia SLI 16X = 39.2 FPS (L)
Nvidia SLI 32X = 22.6 FPS (L,L)

In-Game settings at 2x MS:
Nvidia 4x = 38.4 FPS
Nvidia 8xS = 22.6 FPS (C,L)

In-Game settings at 1x MS:
Nvidia 4x = 56.4 FPS (*)
Nvidia 8xS = 49.2 FPS (*)
Nvidia SLI 16X = 54.8 FPS (*)

annotations:
(L) = Machine exited game to desktop and locked up within 30 seconds. The mouse cursor would move but no desktop controls were enabled.
(C) = Game crashed to a completely corrupted multi-colored horizontal line screen
(K) = Machine hard locked without returning to desktop or game
(*) = No perceivable effect of change, i.e. there was no anti-aliasing in-game

NOTES
Anti-aliasing controls from the Nvidia control panel did not work when set globally, only when directly set in the World of Warcraft override screen in the Nvidia tools.

No locks or corruption occured when running only one 7950 in Dual Mode.

SLI16 rendered as the underlying in-game mode (usually 4xMS), and had no effect on render or on FPS

SLI32 rendered identically to 8xS, both of which were a notable improvement over the in-game 4xMS. Both 8xS and SLI32 had the same FPS.

When in Quad mode, any change from an in-game setting of 2x or 4x MS to an in-game setting of 1x MS resulted in a corrupted screen, usually rapidly flickering, or broken into 4 parts. A game restart fixed this problem.

No Nvidia anti-aliasing modes functioned if in-game multisampling was set to 1x

There were no differences in render and little difference in frame rate for a given Nvidia AA setting when in either 2x or 4x MS as set in-game.

CONCLUSIONS
There are significant problems when overriding WoW anti-aliasing settings. There is only one better render possible which can be reached by setting the in-game Multi-sampling to either x2 or x4 and overriding the World of Warcraft controls on the Nvidia application settings screen to either 8xS or SLI32. There is no difference in frame rate or render between these two modes. This is a beautiful setting that virtually eliminates the edge crawl which is still present even at 1920x1200 at 4xMS. This is how I want my game to look!

There are significant issues with Quad SLI when exiting World of Warcraft. Alt-Tab will 50% of the time get you a corrupted screen which you can usually alt-tab back to the game. Exiting the game, whether from the ESC exit game or from the log-out, quit buttons will result in a system lock 50% of the time after a brief moment looking at an uncorrupted windows desktop. Rarely, a completely corrupted screen and crash will occur.

The frame rate increase of Quad over Dual at 1920x1200 is disappointing. using only application supported anit-aliasing settings the increase is 25-30%. This is ok, but just barely. At the anti-aliasing settigns that are the whole purpose for this card setup, i.e. 8xS, we see only a 10% increase in FPS. This is very disappointing. Ideally we should see more like a 50-75% increase in FPS at these high resolution and high anit-aliasing settings.

FINAL THOUGHTS
There are many potential issues here ranging from dual-core CPU's (yes I have the latest windows patch), motherboard implementation of the dual PCIE SLI slots, World of Warcraft's peculiarities, etc.

But some issues are CLEARLY Driver related IMHO. The crashes and corrupted screen do not happen using the dual GPU 7950 by itself, only in quad mode. The manner in whcih the AA settings override the application controls is unclear and chancy at best.

So what's the purpose to hving this card? Supposedly its to get a significant increase in frame rate for large, wide-screened monitors running games at high native resolutions with high anti-aliasing settings. In the case of this machine, these cards and this game the Quad SLI does not deliver as promised.

I would love to have any comments that might change the way my machine responds to these settings.

JT

The alt-tab driver bug also exists with a single card in dual-gpu mode. I only have one card and frequently the game corrupts the screen just like you described when I alt-tab. Setting it to single gpu solves the problem.

Hopefully NV will at least fix that.

My personal feeling is that the game is CPU bound in most situations, but I hate having to set the card to single gpu just for this one game. In fact I find that I only use 1 gpu all the time because so much of my time is spent with WoW anyways. So yeah, I'm disappointed in that regard.

Im soo sorry about getting off on a tangent but i just have to ask this: Will u pleaaaaaaase post some pics of ur rig? I love F-NW but have never met anyone who actually has one. Maybe u could start a seperate thread on it. anyway, sorry about getting off on a tangent. :D

Why do you have in-game AA and profile/control panel AA running at the same time? That makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

If you want to at least get rid of the lockups and possibly see better performance at Nvidia 8x, 16x, and 32xAA I would suggest turning off all in-game AA and AF and use only your external profile based settings.

WOW has some odd problems with AA settings.

For example:

Set control panel to Application AA
Set WOW to 2x/4x AA , everything works great.

Set Control panel to 4x AA
Set WOW to 1x AA, you get no AA at all.

Set Control panel to 8xS
Set WOW to 2x/4x AA , you get BOTH and a massive performance hit.

This is why it's hard to be able to set 8xS AA or anything along those lines because it appears the game will ONLY do AA if/when it's own AA settings are enabled, regardless of what you override them too.

Stanley Pain said:
WOW has some odd problems with AA settings.

For example:

Set control panel to Application AA
Set WOW to 2x/4x AA , everything works great.

Set Control panel to 4x AA
Set WOW to 1x AA, you get no AA at all.

Set Control panel to 8xS
Set WOW to 2x/4x AA , you get BOTH and a massive performance hit.

This is why it's hard to be able to set 8xS AA or anything along those lines because it appears the game will ONLY do AA if/when it's own AA settings are enabled, regardless of what you override them too.

Wow, yet another annoying technical issue with WoW that I can add to the ever growing list of technical issues that shows what a PoS that game is.

Well, at least this shows the issue is with the game and not the cards.

BTW, WTF is 1xAA supposed to be?

I dont think external video card settings have ever worked for me in that game.

arentol said:
Wow, yet another annoying technical issue with WoW that I can add to the ever growing list of technical issues that shows what a PoS that game is.

Well, at least this shows the issue is with the game and not the cards.

BTW, WTF is 1xAA supposed to be?

Obviously you are bittter about someone nija-looting your big drop! ;)

j/k

There are issues with both the game and the cards. In parsing the test data, Stanley is correct. if you turn off AA in the game (thats what 1xMS is, i.e. NO multisampling) you get no antialiasing regardless of control panel setting. My concern is that there is no AA when set to SLI16, and the same AA when set to SLI32 as when set to 8xS. Clearly this should not be the case. As to the corruption issues, this is purely card/driver related.

The point to my post is to educate those who primarily play WoW as to what they can expect out of a rig like this. Ultimately all you are getting (and it is something) is a 30% increase in frame rate at WoW supported 4x AA if you are running a quad setup over a single 7950. For that 30% increase you will ahve to deal with screen corruption, random locks, and occasional full crashes. One hopes that Nvidia will get some of these bugs Ironed out in the near future. So far they have been quite responsive to detailed issues posted to their forums about quad sli.

JT

MrFace said:
I dont think external video card settings have ever worked for me in that game.

They dont unless you exceed the game's internal settings and even then they only work from the World of Warcraft override section of the Nvidia control panle, no the gloabl settings control panel.

JT

brentsg said:
The alt-tab driver bug also exists with a single card in dual-gpu mode. I only have one card and frequently the game corrupts the screen just like you described when I alt-tab. Setting it to single gpu solves the problem.

Hopefully NV will at least fix that.

My personal feeling is that the game is CPU bound in most situations, but I hate having to set the card to single gpu just for this one game. In fact I find that I only use 1 gpu all the time because so much of my time is spent with WoW anyways. So yeah, I'm disappointed in that regard.

This has not been my experience wit hte BFG 7950GX2's. So far I have expereinced *no* corruption or locking with jsut a single card running in dual GPU mode. I have heard of others reporting the problem you state, however.

The game may be CPU bound at lower resoultions and settings, but it clearly is not CPU bound at 1920x1200 with the AA settings that I tested. For the rezzes and settings that I want to run I need all the GPU power I can get!

JT

Most games these days seem to be going the route of having to set the "advanced" (ala eye candy) graphics options in the game itself and leaving all the in driver settings to application controlled. I don't think thats news, per say.. but nice write up. :)

BFGuy1741 said:
Im soo sorry about getting off on a tangent but i just have to ask this: Will u pleaaaaaaase post some pics of ur rig? I love F-NW but have never met anyone who actually has one. Maybe u could start a seperate thread on it. anyway, sorry about getting off on a tangent. :D

Ive posted it once before but I will do it one more time :p

Here you go!

system.jpg

jtking said:
This has not been my experience wit hte BFG 7950GX2's. So far I have expereinced *no* corruption or locking with jsut a single card running in dual GPU mode. I have heard of others reporting the problem you state, however.

The game may be CPU bound at lower resoultions and settings, but it clearly is not CPU bound at 1920x1200 with the AA settings that I tested. For the rezzes and settings that I want to run I need all the GPU power I can get!

Yeah, I absolutely cannot run WoW in dual GPU mode and it sucks. I was following an nvnews thread about others with the single card desktop corruption issue.

Fortunately my personal situation doesn't require the second GPU, as I stated. I'm just inconvenienced that I have to toggle it back/forth all the time. Of course I forget, corrupt my desktop, etc...

jtking said:
They dont unless you exceed the game's internal settings and even then they only work from the World of Warcraft override section of the Nvidia control panle, no the gloabl settings control panel.

JT

I don't follow by what you mean by "override section". Are you referring to the profiles for specific games? I've never been able to figure out how to make those work :eek:

MrFace said:
I don't follow by what you mean by "override section". Are you referring to the profiles for specific games? I've never been able to figure out how to make those work :eek:

Yes! The tab that lets you set individual settings for specific applications/games. Those override the global settings. For reasons that only WoW and Nvidia know, the global settings seem not to affect WoW while those application overrides do. Again, you will take a mighty performance hit to go to 8xS, but it looks damn good with no edge crawl at all. I *relaly* want to paly WoW here, but the negatives in frame rate at 1920x1200 are jsut flat out not worth it.

Hopefulyl a driver fix or a game patch wil lenable thsi to work.

JT

So the overrides for the WOW profile work now? I need to test that out.

I'd like to be able to play around with different SLI/AA settings in WOW. For now I just run the game at 1680x1050 with in game AA set to 4x + Gamma Correction/MSAA Transparency set in the profile.

Stanley Pain said:
So the overrides for the WOW profile work now? I need to test that out.

I'd like to be able to play around with different SLI/AA settings in WOW. For now I just run the game at 1680x1050 with in game AA set to 4x + Gamma Correction/MSAA Transparency set in the profile.

The yare NOT supported (direct from Nvidia to me) *but* they sorta-work. Read my initial post on this tread to understand what they can do and what their limitations are.

Specifically, you CAN get a better antialiasing setting than the stock in-game ones, but only if you leave in-game AA turned to 4x (or 2x) and then force on 8xS or SLI32 mode in the WoW overrides in the Nvidia control panel. NOTE that there is *no* difference between thsoe two modes in WoW. That is, you will get exactly the same AA render as well as the same framerate hit which is substantial. Again, I refer you to my post above for specifics. Pay particular attention to the notes section and the conclusion sections.

JT

Couple of thoughts/comments.
With my X1900 WoW runs fine no AA problems or anything of that nature, but I'm not using 4 cards lol. Also as far as the FPS go it's kind of meaningless because WoW caps at 60, with the occasional jump over.

An easy fix for the WoW alt-tab corrupted screen is to set it to windowed mode, then check the box to have it always maximized. You can't even tell you're playing in a window, and you have much easier alt tabbing.

Anavel0 said:
Couple of thoughts/comments.
With my X1900 WoW runs fine no AA problems or anything of that nature, but I'm not using 4 cards lol. Also as far as the FPS go it's kind of meaningless because WoW caps at 60, with the occasional jump over.

Anavel, its certainly NOT meaningless when you are running at widescreen native res 1920x1200 with full anti-aliasing! At those settings you never get over 64fps, hell you rarely break 40fps!

The FPS limitation that you are talkign about will be removed in the next patch which is already running on the WoW Public Test Servers.

JT

I run all settings max at 1600x1200 and stay at 60fps easy. But anyway glad to hear they are removing the fps limit. So annoying to see your new top end card only doing 60fps.

Symon14 said:
An easy fix for the WoW alt-tab corrupted screen is to set it to windowed mode, then check the box to have it always maximized. You can't even tell you're playing in a window, and you have much easier alt tabbing.

True, but running in windowed mode decreases your performance. At 1600x1200 nonwindowed I get 60fps, but if I window it I go down to 50fps.

jtking said:
The yare NOT supported (direct from Nvidia to me) *but* they sorta-work. Read my initial post on this tread to understand what they can do and what their limitations are.

Specifically, you CAN get a better antialiasing setting than the stock in-game ones, but only if you leave in-game AA turned to 4x (or 2x) and then force on 8xS or SLI32 mode in the WoW overrides in the Nvidia control panel. NOTE that there is *no* difference between thsoe two modes in WoW. That is, you will get exactly the same AA render as well as the same framerate hit which is substantial. Again, I refer you to my post above for specifics. Pay particular attention to the notes section and the conclusion sections.

JT

I've pretty much noticed the exact same thing as your conclusion. Forcing MSAA of any sort in the control panel does NOT affect the game at all. However if you use nHancer you can turn AA on IN GAME (2x/4x) an then play around with some of the more "advanced" AA settings within nHancer (things that the nvidia CP does not have).

Things like setting 2x2 SSAA.. For example:

In Game AA Settings: 4x
nahcner setting: 4x SSA (2x2)

Will net you 4x MSAA + 4x SSAA. This looks amazing (no jaggies at ALL), but you loose some texture quality due to the blurring effect of SSAA.

The bonus is that you can remove Transparency AA since your SSAA settings will get those.

Anavel0 said:
I run all settings max at 1600x1200 and stay at 60fps easy. But anyway glad to hear they are removing the fps limit. So annoying to see your new top end card only doing 60fps.

Anavel,

I am pushing 20% more pixels than you are so I am not expecting to get the same level of performance. Also, bear in mind that my test numbers were from a location that gave the LOWEST frame rate that I could find that was static. I can get lower frame rates from the back of a griffon, but I can't accurately duplicate it from one mode to another. My TYPICAL frame rate is a good 20% higher than what I listed. If I run 4xMS from the ingame panel with all settigns maxed, I usually see 45-60 FPS running around stormwind and very close to that even in a big fight. Whereas when I tested this mode from the demanding render that I was using, I got only 39.2fps. This is excellent performance from the 7950. This is a great card and I am not unhappy with it at all.

I do wish I would pick up more than 25-30% FPS when runnign an in-game supported AA setting comparing the quad over the duo, and certainly would love more than 10% increase in FPS when running an unsupported, but better fps.

Such is life, and I have faith that Nvidia will do what they can to make all this work as well as it can.

As to windowed mode I *hate* it. I want as immersive of a game experience as possible, and seeing the edge of a window and/or my windows button bar does not do it for me. Frame rate aside, I want full-screen.

JT

Do Windowd mode + maximize within the game.

It's exactly like fullscreen, except you can alt-tab out easier/faster + you don't get as much screen corruption

Back