Reworking the FiOS Layout with DVR

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I have Verizon FiOS at home with the DVR service. I was under the impression that the Actiontec router they provide had to be at the head of the network, but I believe I read somewhere that there's a way around this. How would I wire up the Actiontec from the ONT so that I could implement my own firewall/router and still maintain the DVR service?

the actiontec just needs to be online, so plug its WAN port into a switch behind your new firewall and then hook the cable line to it and that will give the DVR's access to the internet to get guide data.

You can test this by going to the help screen on the DVR and testing the network connectivity.

Depending on what kind of firewall you may need to open outbound ports for the DVR to communicate.

just make sure you use the WAN port. It will create a network within your network just for the DVR's.

just make sure you use the WAN port. It will create a network within your network just for the DVR's.

This my preferred method. You could set the Actiontek to bridge mode and use a LAN port, but I just used the WAN port myself. The set top boses are double NAT'd and forgotabout.

I've been running it this way for years.

How about just placing the Actiontek WAN port in the DMZ of your own personal router and calling it a day.

This my preferred method. You could set the Actiontek to bridge mode and use a LAN port, but I just used the WAN port myself. The set top boses are double NAT'd and forgotabout.

I've been running it this way for years.

Does this allow you to maintain full functionality of the DVR service? Will everything function in that setup the way it does now with the Actiontec as the primary gateway?

Does this allow you to maintain full functionality of the DVR service? Will everything function in that setup the way it does now with the Actiontec as the primary gateway?

One thing I found that didn't work and took a lot of tweaking/playing to make work was managing the DVR from the verizon.net site. Setting up shows and whatnot.

Just think of it like this, anything outbound will work just fine, anything inbound won't work at all unless you do what Mackintire said and put the ActionTec WAN within a DMZ that has full inbound.

One thing I found that didn't work and took a lot of tweaking/playing to make work was managing the DVR from the verizon.net site. Setting up shows and whatnot.

Just think of it like this, anything outbound will work just fine, anything inbound won't work at all unless you do what Mackintire said and put the ActionTec WAN within a DMZ that has full inbound.

Gotta be honest, I didn't even know that was possible.. LOL. I've only had FiOS for a few months now, but still... :p

How exactly would the DMZ be setup? That's something I'm not familiar with...

I dont have the DVR but I dont see why not.

The set top boxes all get internet still, and all communicate with each other on their own little network behind your main network.

Back