Rig Down!

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
So I had the pleasure of waking up to...that smell...

Evidently a circuit breaker popped last night. As I reset it, and began powering on all the rigs...sure enough....MINE doesnt power up. A couple of sniffs later...and I was fearing the worst.

I was only able to put about 5 minutes into troubleshooting this morning, and my money is on the PSU being shot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012

I purchased this about 2 years ago next month. I'm assuming that warranty replacement is outta the picture, but I'm kinda disappointed that the PSU quit on me so soon. Maybe my expectations were too high.

My question is simple. With the 90%+ certainty I have that will need to replace, do we look to match PSU's or do we go bigger and better? I'm thinking 1200w? I've only ran THIS much hardware with the 1000w for only a couple of months, so its feasible to me that maybe it was running "redline"?

I do have 2 long hair cats, so I'm wondering if I have a little furball to point this at. Until I disassemble the rig I wont know. I like to think I'm pretty diligent in keeping the rig clean. I literally have a vaccuum in arms reach to clean the fans, vents, floor and desktop area at LEAST once a week.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Why do you think warranty replacement is out of the picture?

It says 5 year warranty on that PSU.

Why do you think warranty replacement is out of the picture?

It says 5 year warranty on that PSU.

Ahh..so it does. I'm not sure how I missed that, other than its Monday!

According to Antec's PSU chart, (they dont have the Corsair H70 in thier watercooling kit dropdown) I'm under 800w recommended.

Looks like I'll be investigating replacement! Thank you for the extra set of eyes!

Yeah, RMA. Antec will take care of you.

I'm trying to remember if they switched to single rail with later version of that PSU (I have one of the early versions with 4 rails), but just to be safe, make sure you spread things across connectors as the manual recommends when you get your warranty replacement.

Yeah, RMA. Antec will take care of you.

I'm trying to remember if they switched to single rail with later version of that PSU (I have one of the early versions with 4 rails), but just to be safe, make sure you spread things across connectors as the manual recommends when you get your warranty replacement.

Apparently I need to run home to get the SN# for the online RMA :)

I'm pretty sure I was diligent in using different rails for each device as best I could. I'm pretty confident it would pass an [H] installation review!

Its not that I'm upset with Antec per se (stuff happens!) - but as a gamer, knowing that I'm going home to a down rig, and the hour or more its going to take me to test/remove the 1000, and potentially install the backup 750 I have only to be done in time to say "It works!..and bedtime..."

Even with the 750, I can only hook up 1 X2, so Quadfire will be on hold till RMA.

I just needed a place to vent a little frustration and get focused to individuals who understand :)

Ahh..so it does. I'm not sure how I missed that, other than its Monday!

According to Antec's PSU chart, (they dont have the Corsair H70 in thier watercooling kit dropdown) I'm under 800w recommended.

Looks like I'll be investigating replacement! Thank you for the extra set of eyes!

Np. I wouldn't worry about the Corsair h70. It doesn't take that much power anyway.

If you have any issues getting this resolved, PM me.

That I will!

One basic question to get my ducks in a row - the modular power cables. When I setup to RMA the PSU, do I need to include ALL of the modular cables? I think I have some in a closet somewhere, and I'm certain I wont be able to find them all. OR - would I be able to remove all of the modular cables, and just have the base unit replaced, at which time I'll just reconnect the modular cables I'm using.

Thank you for your time.

Np. I wouldn't worry about the Corsair h70. It doesn't take that much power anyway.

An H7 is maybe 15-25 watts draw, and that'd be on the high end. Nothing to worry about.

I didnt think it did. I pretty much went thru every drop down WC Kit that Antec's site had, and none of them made a significant difference in power. I couldn't imagine the H70 being a bigger power drain.

Soon as I get to the SN# - I think I'm golden!

Thanks for the reassurance :)

if antec's rma policy is like everybody else's, they will direct you to just ship the base unit, without accessories (modular cables).

That I will!

One basic question to get my ducks in a row - the modular power cables. When I setup to RMA the PSU, do I need to include ALL of the modular cables? I think I have some in a closet somewhere, and I'm certain I wont be able to find them all. OR - would I be able to remove all of the modular cables, and just have the base unit replaced, at which time I'll just reconnect the modular cables I'm using.

Thank you for your time.

All we need back is the unit. Keep the cables.

Original Unit - Got it!

In the meantime, I may have run into a larger issue. While I have been able to confirm the Antec1000 will not power up, I may have lost my CPU in the process. Before I post in the Motherboard forum, I thought I'd ask a couple PSU questions first.

I was able to pull the PSU from my system, and with just the PSU, use a paperclip to link the Green (Skip one) Black connectors on the PSU. No activity. Validated power switch was on, power was good, re-touched the connectors...nothing.

I pulled my Corsair 750 out of a backup rig, and setup to install. I pulled out the extra 4870x2. My concern is the 8 pin and 4 pin power connectors on the MB next to the CPU. This PSU only has an 8 pin connector, no 4 pin like the Antec1000 has. So, I powered up the system, and it powers on for about 6 seconds...and shuts off....powers up....shuts off. Evidently something is jacked. All I can see on this ASUS MB, is that the CPU LED is solid red during this power on...this cant be good either. So, after a quick ASUS search, it seems that I need to have the 8 pin AND 4 pin CPU power connectors used. Now..understand that it is truely an 8 pin + 8 pin, but the 2nd 8 pin is covered by a plastic cover that makes the 2nd 8 pin a 4 pin (whew!)

So to test the website suggestion, I grabbed my 650, pulled out the main 4870x2 and put in an ATI2600 since it doesnt need external power, just to test. The 650 I have has an 8 pin CPU power plug, but daisy chained off of it, is also the 4 pin. Its not separate like the Antec1000. In the end, same result as the 750.

Lastly, I tested with NO cpu power pin....the system powers up and stays on....but no POST, as expected.

So, unless someone has some experience with this setup, my only other option is to wait out the 1000 RMA, or disassemble the GF's rig (That will go over well...NOT!) and test with her hardware to validate I didnt get collateral damage.

An H7 is maybe 15-25 watts draw, and that'd be on the high end. Nothing to worry about.

Really? I wonder how they manage to pull that out from the motherboard's 3-pin. heh I just assume it was pretty low power.

Try clearing CMOS when running your test with that Corsair unit.

Also, when running your paperclip test, make sure that there's something....a couple of fans or a HDD connected to the PSU. Without some sort of load, the unit won't fire up.

This MB has some pretty sweet tools.

I was able to connect the ROG Connect USB cable to my single core folding box, since it sits on my repair table. I was able to confirm that I cleared CMOS with the button on the back. No help. I posted my troubleshooting in the MB Forum if you're bored :)

I'll hook up some fans and some 500GB HDD's tonight when I get home. Is this new with PSU's now? I've always tested without devices attached, in case the PSU was faulty. I figured there was no point in launching a HDD across the room due to faulty power. :) The most fireworks I ever got was my attempt to replace a bus fuse on an old 450 I had years ago. I didnt have any more 15's...or maybe it was a 10...anyway, I did have one that was 5A larger than the one that was popped. Yeah...4th of July in my apt. :)

That's why I suggested a couple of fans :)

on most power supplies, you need to have some sort of load on them in order for the paperclip test to work. without a load, the fan (in most cases) won't spin up.

Interesting - I'll keep that in mind.

I still didnt get any action. I was able to get the PSU in a box and shipped out. Antec should see thebox on Tuesday.

Thank you!

I wanted to post a follow up - just incase someone was intently concerned!! :D

My Rig, as of last Tuesday, is back online.

After the PSU RMA, I plugged in the PSU and fired everything backup. No go. The board was still powering on and shutting off. So, I contacted ASUS. The online tech informed me that because the board remains "ON" with the CPU power cable disconnected, and remains on with the CPU removed, it must be a bad CPU.

So, I RMA'd the CPU. After the 2 week wait, the new CPU arrived, popped it in, replaced the H70 - no help. Same effect. Board powers up, and back off. I contacted ASUS with the current situation. I got an Advanced RMA form to have them send me a new board, which arrived last Tuesday. I was able to assemble everything and BAM...my machine booted :)

I'm still running stock i7, just to let the machine...burn in?, but I do have my quad GPU's back in and all seems well.

Thank you for everyone who chimed in, and to ANTEC for making my PSU swap a breeze.

I'm glad to hear that your machine is back up and running. Best of luck!

Back