RIP and whatnot

obobski

2[H]4U
alright, I've got a wireless network at home, and a massive deadspot that covers my kitchen and family room (you can see my problem)

I have 2 extra routers on the shelf, one is basically NIB and one is missing an antenna (friend gave it to me as a freebie), I'm just having issues getting one of the routers to work as a second AP on the network and let the current router still be the DHCP and all that

router 1 (main router):
Netgear WPN824v2

router 2 (what I'm having issues with)
Linksys WRT54G

connected the WRT54G to the WPN824 via ethernet, set RIP up to broadcast only on the WPN824, and the WRT54's DHCP server off + RIP in/out in "router" mode, nothing can connect to the WRT54 after setting this up, but the WPN824 is fine and will connect to anything within range

what am I missing? and any other help would be great...

Make sure the Ethernet cable that connects both routers is a crossover cable.
Also, you shouldn't need a routing protocol enabled if you have two routers directly connected to each other.

Also, make sure that the cable runs from a switch port on the netgear to a switch port on the linksys. You don't want the second router being fed through the internet port.

Also, make sure that the cable runs from a switch port on the netgear to a switch port on the linksys. You don't want the second router being fed through the internet port.

so switch port to switch port, and disable DHCP/etc and it'll extend wireless just like an AP?

if you put DD-WRT on the WRT54g, there is a way to turn it into an Access Point very easily....depending on your version of hardware.

after a lovely hour romp up in my ceiling running a new 100ft lead of cat6, the deadzone is gone with the help of the WRT54g, and I didn't even have to flash it :)

thanks for the tip on switch to switch Mak (and I even remember doing this about a year ago for a LAN party, knew I was forgetting something simple)

Back