Ripping DVDs to MKV question - duration ?

aldy402

2[H]4U
I've bought one of new WD media players and would like to consolidate my blu-ray collection onto a 1tb hard drive I bought along with it.

I just have a couple of questions before buying a blu-ray computer drive to rip blu-ray discs.
How long does it usually take to rip a Blu-Ray movie into a single MKV container?

im running a q6600 at 3.6ghz with 8gb ram. thanks for your input

Well, it depends on several factors, but assuming you'll be using a reasonably fast BD-ROM to get it onto the computer:

30-45minutes to get the disc on your drive
about 8-12 hours (depending on the size of the movie, and what you're keeping...and what's you're not) to convert from .m2ts to .mkv, all things being equal (framerate, bitrate, resolution of the output, etc).

wow that is a substantial amount of time..
thanks for the reply

I most most likely just be ripping the movie without any subs or extras.. in pure 1080p

If you dont want to re-encode everything you can just remux the desired streams into a .mkv file

Total time from disc to file is about 2 hours....but the resulting file is almost as big as the .m2ts file usually 15-30gb in size.

So if you are size conscious then you will want to re-encode but if not then just remux to .mkv container.

I use my Q9550, 8gb RAM PC to rip my bluray movies to .mkv. Just to extract just the main movie, audio, and subtitles takes about 25-40 mins, depending on the length of the movie. Then to mux it together takes about 15 mins. The con is I keep all my blurays in 1080p so my movies avg 20-40GB per movie. But they look great and sound great, all stored on my 14TB unRAID box.

This is kind of "apples and oranges", but I just started doing the same thing for my WD Media player with my DVDs. If memory serves - a 4.5gig dvd takes around 30 mins using "Handbrake" (2 pass) to complete. WinXP, Q6600, 4 gig ram.

I use my Q9550, 8gb RAM PC to rip my bluray movies to .mkv. Just to extract just the main movie, audio, and subtitles takes about 25-40 mins, depending on the length of the movie. Then to mux it together takes about 15 mins. The con is I keep all my blurays in 1080p so my movies avg 20-40GB per movie. But they look great and sound great, all stored on my 14TB unRAID box.

I just end up ripping the entire disc and it takes about an hour. I know storage is a huge issue, but I got a 7TB raid5 box. Can hold about 140 Blu-ray discs if I max it out, probably more since not all discs are 50Gigs.

thanks for all the input guys, I only have about 1tb for storage

If i don't ree-ncode, I could always do this later correct? My ideal size for each blu-ray movie would be about 8-12 gigs. What programs or combination of programs are you guys using?

thanks for all the input guys, I only have about 1tb for storage

If i don't ree-ncode, I could always do this later correct? My ideal size for each blu-ray movie would be about 8-12 gigs. What programs or combination of programs are you guys using?

Yes
Ripbot264

how are some of you converting bluray movies to mkv files in 2hours or one guy even said 15mins??

The way i do it is using AnyDVD to rip the bluray movie to the hd, then i use Ripbot to convert those files to mkv. but that takes up to 8 hours depending on the size of the movie. i use the highest settings, CQ at 18 and best audio.. then i use mkv2vob software to convert the mkv files to mp4 so i can play them on my PS3 using tversity.

Im also using a q6600 at 3.6ghz and a 4850 in my media pc so its plenty fast ..

is there a faster way to do it?? I dont care about the size of the file, i just want the best quality

thanks in advance
ubc ccc

Best quality = Dont reencode

take .m2ts open it with TSMuxer...select desired streams....Demux
Open mkvMerge add demuxed streams merge together

Completely Lossless and takes almost no time at all...with ripping and everyting around 2 hours.

Completely Lossless and takes almost no time at all...with ripping and everyting around 2 hours.

Do you rip and encode on your workstation or HTPC? Your workstation does have 8 cores in it so I'd imagine that lowers your encode time.

Do you rip and encode on your workstation or HTPC? Your workstation does have 8 cores in it so I'd imagine that lowers your encode time.

Workstation...but im not encoding anything...im simply remuxing into a .mkv container

If I do a reencode with Ripbot 264 on CQ18 it takes about 8 hours

Best quality = Dont reencode

take .m2ts open it with TSMuxer...select desired streams....Demux
Open mkvMerge add demuxed streams merge together

this may sound stupid but i guess im not following the actual steps your using.. i tried it the way you said and i get a .mkv file but it doesnt actually play, you can fast forward to parts and see the picture but it doesnt actually play..

i used anydvd and extracted files to harddrive, then opened with tsmuxer and selected the 2 main feature evo's and the highest audios, chose the dmux option and put that in a folder, then i opened those files with the mkvmerge and made 1 .mkv file.

could you be a little more specific on the actual steps you used?

thanks
ubc ccc

Read the guide in the Sticky that sabregen made, so you get a better understanding of what is going on.

Back