Rivets

rysher

Gawd
here's the deal, i want to take out my top case and drill holes in there for 2x120mm fans.
how do you take out rivets on a lian li top case?
and how can i put them back....
thanks...

Drill through the rivets to take them out. You need a rivet gun and rivets to put them back

Drill them out at slow speeds. Then go to Home Depot and get a riveter and some rivets

drilled them out... thanks for the advices. now all i've to do is get a rivet gun. again thanks alot guys.

Heads up

Lian-Li makes use of lots of countersunk rivets so the heads come out flush with the surface which most Home Depot type places dont carry (at least in my town). The generic countersunk rivet part number is AC4-3A (Grainger # 4Y044) which are 1/8D x 3/16L or AC4-2A (Grainger # 4Y043) which are 1/8D x 1/8L.

I get mine at W.W. Graingers

You don't have to pop out those rivets to drill the fan holes. Take a wire fan grill and mark the fans where you want them. Then drill out the four mounting holes and then the center. Then just use a hole saw for the size fan you want. Dremel it clean, paint the edge black if it's a black case and call it done. If need-be, after drilling all the pilot holes, use screws to mount a block of wood to the top and drill into the wood with the hole saw. The wood will keep the hole saw from drifting and make sure you get a clean, round hole.

ok already you have realized that you drill out the rivets to get them out. you can use a -4 cherry max rivet to replace the old ones. or just screws to hold it together again. One thing that is nessessary sometimes is countersinking the screw heads if you use screws. the side door and such might not go on without that.

Levell0rd said:
If need-be, after drilling all the pilot holes, use screws to mount a block of wood to the top and drill into the wood with the hole saw. The wood will keep the hole saw from drifting and make sure you get a clean, round hole.

Neater trick to stop a large hole saw from wandering =

1. drill pilot hole for holesaw then exchange pilot bit with same size drill blank (take 8" drill bit 1/4" for 4.5" holesaw and cut off enough shank to replace the hole saw pilot bit) to prevent holesaw pilot bit from side cutting and allowing the holesaw to drift off center.

I drilled (holesawed) 4 - 4.5" holes in my Lian_li V2100B with results as good as can be done in a drill press, they came out flawless, straight sided, on center etc. Had been fighting hand drilled holes for a couple of weeks on an old case until this trick hit me square in the face.

I got a fillport i wanna install, the hole saw's min, its an adjustable is 1/8 of an inch more than the 1" hole I need.

whats a good option for a 1" hole? all I got is a cordless hand drill am I gonna need like a dremel or something?

you can buy single sized hole saws. A 1" is only a few bucks at a hardware store. You should have a Dremel anyways, but this is a cheaper alternative.

Doing the fillport is easy. That 1" holesaw should be fine. Won't even have to dremel unless you just want to.

racebanner said:
Heads up

Lian-Li makes use of lots of countersunk rivets so the heads come out flush with the surface which most Home Depot type places dont carry (at least in my town). The generic countersunk rivet part number is AC4-3A (Grainger # 4Y044) which are 1/8D x 3/16L or AC4-2A (Grainger # 4Y043) which are 1/8D x 1/8L.

I get mine at W.W. Graingers

Thanks for the tip, I am in the process of dis-assembling my case, and needed a good source on rivets. Thanks a bunch :D

-=WooDWorKeR420=- said:
Thanks for the tip, I am in the process of dis-assembling my case, and needed a good source on rivets. Thanks a bunch :D

The local Dollar Stores are a great source for rivets if they aren't going to be seen after ass'y. And cheap to.

Back