Rockstar Not Responsible for Manhunt Hacks

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Once again, Rockstar is in the midst of game hacking controversy with Manhunt 2. It seems that people have figured out how to remove the blurring effects from the game that helped get it a lower ESRB rating. This time however, Rockstar is not at fault.

"Contrary to some reports, however, we do not believe these modifications fully restore the product to the version that originally received an AO rating, nor is this a matter of unlocking content," said the ESRB in a statement released to the press. "Our investigation indicates that the game's publisher disclosed to the ESRB all pertinent content in the authorized Mature-rated version of Manhunt 2 now available in stores, and complied with our guidelines on full disclosure of content."

If they want to hack a game so it shows violence then let them do it.

I don't think this is really any different than hot coffee (and I think Rockstar got shafted on that one).

Does this affect the WII? I didn't think that machine had a HD.

Considering The Sims had a hack that would remove the blurring effect for naked sims and there was never any big deal made over that I don't see how this would be any different.

Also, there have been so many nudity mods for video games it's not even funny and the creators of those games didn't get into any trouble either.

The hot coffee deal is a little different as it was something which was actually put into the game by the creators. However, I do think they got shafted on that due to the fact that it wasn't something you could access in the game without a third party hack.

Basically, crap like this is just out of line. Anything that requires a third party to make changes to add or remove something from the game isn't the responsibility of the game creator as long as the content can't be changed via something built into the game. The hot coffee deal is the perfect example. You could not activate that in the game through any means of the game itself. The content could only be unlocked via third party and therefore Rockstar should not have been held responsible.

While reading this the first thing that pops into mind is Jack Thompson. I don't know if he has anything to do with this but I'm sure he's going to use it to his advantage at another publicity stunt.

I'm sure there's been scenes in movies that had to be taken out for their violence score so why the hell not?

Hell, supposedly in the original American pie the movie would've gotten an NC-17 rating if he thrusted into a pie more than what's shown in the movie. According to IMDB's trivia on the movie, it took four tries to get an R rating instead of NC-17.

So how the hell is this any different? People can watch some guy hump food over and over again and get their NC-17 jollies. And I'm sure there's an unrated version where you can see all the things that would have garnered that rating on top of that.

But nobody's bitching that their under 17 kids are watching things they shouldn't be. And retailers aren't carding people who buy the unrated versions of movies. Just M rated games.

Gotta love double standards.

Back