Roms for Galaxy Nexus

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
What roms are you guys using for your Nexus? From the XDA forums there seem to be a good dozen or so and all seem to do very similar things....ie.battery life, radio, etc...etc...

Any you prefer over the others? I'm looking at Revolution HD 2.1.2, but with all the others floating around didn't know if there were others worth considering.

I'm using gummy now. Better than revo and IMO better than rootzboat.

Do yourself a favor and stick with rootzwiki.com xda is too disorganized, and rootzwiki has the same stuff and more, updated faster.

I'm actually staying stock for now. I want to use the phone stock for a while to make sure it's stable before I ROM it, then start blaming the ROMs for instability issues. I've actually had one random reboot on the 2nd G-Nex. The first one I returned for random rebooting as well (it did it 4 times within a week). I wish there was a way to root without wiping though. I just want to use wireless tethering and titanium.

I'm actually staying stock for now. I want to use the phone stock for a while to make sure it's stable before I ROM it, then start blaming the ROMs for instability issues. I've actually had one random reboot on the 2nd G-Nex. The first one I returned for random rebooting as well (it did it 4 times within a week). I wish there was a way to root without wiping though. I just want to use wireless tethering and titanium.

Kind of self defeating, as a good custom rom gets rid of bugs and shit the stock phone has. My phone runs much faster and haven't had a single issue since I got on my current rom.

Kind of self defeating, as a good custom rom gets rid of bugs and shit the stock phone has. My phone runs much faster and haven't had a single issue since I got on my current rom.

Not in my experience. Pretty sure every ROM I used on my OG Droid had some sort of trade-off as far as stability, features and performance (in terms of both speed and battery life). I could only have 2/3 of those with any ROM I tried.

In stock config, this phone is blazing fast already and can't see it benefiting much from ROMing in that area. As opposed to the OG Droid, you'd be retarded to want to OC it. Using a LV kernel may yield better battery life, but sometimes at the expense of stability if you're doing anything too demanding (i.e. navigating; this was the true test of a LV kernel on my Droid as it would usually force a reboot if the voltage wasn't right). The only thing I can see gaining from a ROM is more features/functionality, but if you're rooted, usually you can attain that same functionality without totally re-ROMing/wiping the phone.

I know there's some amazing devs out there, but I wouldn't trust any of them over Google to put the same quality of code and testing into their ROMs. If my phone isn't stable in stock config, I highly doubt ROMing it would help unless they explicitly say it fixes random reboots/crashes and I don't see how they could claim that without extensively testing it in controlled environments (not by having XDA/forum users vaguely reporting their problems with it).

Performance wise stock is great but there are a couple things i would like to see if rooting can fix. First is battery life, second is data reception, and third is the quirky keyboard action i get on websites as well as spell check.

Plus i just like to tinker.

Not really. If you have a Nexus device a custom ROM will typically only add features that introduce stability issues. Contrary to popular belief, custom ROM hackers don't know more than Google's engineers that wrote the thing ;)

Congratulations of writing the stupidest post I've read in 2012. I'm not even going to try and explain things to you, as it would be a waste of time.

That's a bit harsh. It's usually best to defend your position with facts and references/links. Not by insulting people. I can understand his logic, why can't you?

That's a bit harsh. It's usually best to defend your position with facts and references/links. Not by insulting people. I can understand his logic, why can't you?

He doesn't understand it because the best ROMs for the Nexus are pure AOSP roms that are compiled and based on community feedback.

The "hackers" that compile these ROMS aren't just slapping shit together. The ROMs are normally improved upon where improvement is needed. The things that work great are normally left alone, since there is no reason to touch them.

Comparing the level of current ROM development with what was going on in the days of the OG Droid is also ridiculous.

He doesn't understand it because the best ROMs for the Nexus are pure AOSP roms that are compiled and based on community feedback.

No different than the OG Droid.

The "hackers" that compile these ROMS aren't just slapping shit together. The ROMs are normally improved upon where improvement is needed. The things that work great are normally left alone, since there is no reason to touch them.

Comparing the level of current ROM development with what was going on in the days of the OG Droid is also ridiculous.

Peter Alfonso, Chevyno1 and several other devs still work on the OG Droid. There's even an AOSP ICS ROM in development for it. The process and techniques of writing ROMs for the Droid is not going to be much different than developing for the Galaxy Nexus. The only thing differentiating them is the hardware gap. They both have unlocked bootloaders and have plenty of AOSP ROMs. So how is comparing them "ridiculous"? They may be far apart in terms of hardware, but you're exaggerating a bit by saying that.

(That was fun writing in my phone :p)

Custom roms have always been a waste of time for me, it was fun to begin with but they all end up being the same rom with some awful theme applied to it.

This isn't rocket science. Most of us research before making most decisions, and we want end user reviews most of the time, not "pro" reviews. Here's 500 pages, nearly 5000 posts, about the ROM I'm using. Not from your mother or aunt, but from tech minded people like most of us. Seems to me that would lead an educated person to believe the claims of increased battery-life, speed, customization, and better overall user experience, based solely on user feedback. For someone to come in this thread and start claiming custom ROMs are worse than stock is completely beyond me. There may be bugs EARLY on in a custom ROMs life, which is true for the stock ROM while in development, but they nearly always become rock solid. The good ones at least.

It's like saying 1000's of positive reviews for a processor or other piece of hardware, game, software, etc. means nothing. It goes completely against what we practice around here.

Why is there ALWAYS people on this forum who love to stir the pot on things that should be common sense? I swear, it's like everyday a new chiu pops up.

...Why is there ALWAYS people on this forum who love to stir the pot on things that should be common sense? I swear, it's like everyday a new chiu pops up.

Haha, Chiu is going to live on in infamy here. But I agree people need to stop chiuing and help me find a good ROM. Officer I'm going to try out yours when I get a chance, that thread is perfect.

Peter Alfonso, Chevyno1 and several other devs still work on the OG Droid. There's even an AOSP ICS ROM in development for it. The process and techniques of writing ROMs for the Droid is not going to be much different than developing for the Galaxy Nexus. The only thing differentiating them is the hardware gap. They both have unlocked bootloaders and have plenty of AOSP ROMs. So how is comparing them "ridiculous"? They may be far apart in terms of hardware, but you're exaggerating a bit by saying that.

(That was fun writing in my phone :p)

I wasnt talking about currently. But people saying "back when my og droid..." are being ridiculous. "back then" were pretty early stages of Android dev, of course there were issues.

So, currently yes, its no different, back then, very different.

Almost all of the guys who used to (still are) develop for the og are making Nexus roms now too

I personally would stick to stock. Thats the point in paying for the nexus line is that you get a clean AOSP rom thats not locked down.. In every phone I use (other then the Nexus S I was toying with this past weekend) I always look for a vanilla AOSP rom (currently CM9 on my vibrant & cm7 on my Defy).

Congratulations of writing the stupidest post I've read in 2012. I'm not even going to try and explain things to you, as it would be a waste of time.

I've actually worked with the Android code base and have done my own builds. I've kept an eye on the custom ROM scene since the original Droid. I know a thing or two.

If you would like to have a rational debate, be my guest. Otherwise kindly fuck off.

AOSP comes from Google, not the community ;)

They are absolutely slapping shit together. Very, very rarely do custom ROM people understand what exactly they are tinkering with and what subtle effects it could cause, if any. Android's code base is extremely complex. Any "fixes" should be treated very cautiously, yet rarely are. There are definitely some very skilled people in the community - but they tend to be lost in the noise, and there isn't any real vetting process other than those that actually contribute to AOSP.

More importantly the various "features" added are honestly the only source of fragmentation in Android. Some of them even intentionally break the rules of the platform.

RootzBoat v6(Just released today). I was on v5 before and this one is even smoother. Definitely the BEST ROM I've used for the GNex, including RevolutionHD and Axiom.

I'm using the alpha cm9. Its alpha but pretty much everything works some features are not yet completed. I also feel like a lot of the rooms are just slapped together but cyanogemod team are def some pro's at what they do.

RootzBoat v6(Just released today). I was on v5 before and this one is even smoother. Definitely the BEST ROM I've used for the GNex, including RevolutionHD and Axiom.

Damn it I jut switched from Gummy to Axiom, and V6 wasnt out when I did so. TIME TO WIPE AGAIN.

I secretly love this actually :D

Damn it I jut switched from Gummy to Axiom, and V6 wasnt out when I did so. TIME TO WIPE AGAIN.

I secretly love this actually :D

Grrrr....Need....To....Switch....Rising.

Seriously, I haven't kept a ROM for more than a couple days. Axiom is 2.3 is going to released any time now, so I think I'm gonna wait. Tempting to go back to Rootzboat though..

Grrrr....Need....To....Switch....Rising.

Seriously, I haven't kept a ROM for more than a couple days. Axiom is 2.3 is going to released any time now, so I think I'm gonna wait. Tempting to go back to Rootzboat though..

Yea I was thinking about that also. Figured It try out v6 anyway. The only thing that ever really bothered me was losing my SMS all the time, but I found a good app for backing them up so Im set

Yea I was thinking about that also. Figured It try out v6 anyway. The only thing that ever really bothered me was losing my SMS all the time, but I found a good app for backing them up so Im set

Looks like Axiom is getting updated to 2.3 in a few hours. Supposed to be a nice update.

IMO there's a difference between rom's for Nexus phones and everything else. Since Nexus is the only line that ships with AOSP, the rom's are a lot closer to stock tha n for any other phone. There are no driver issues, no need to take parts from other phone images which are newer (as is common for other phones), and the result is custom Nexus rom's are stable and solid. e.g. other phones have to wait for the oem's to release updated images to get the right binary drivers etc in many cases.

They are absolutely slapping shit together. Very, very rarely do custom ROM people understand what exactly they are tinkering with and what subtle effects it could cause, if any.

This.

Myself and p3droid from MyDroidWorld collaborated on some of the earliest kernel work on the OG Droid. We got wifi tethering, temperature monitoring, and overclocking all enabled in one kernel back in the days when there wasn't a "do it all" kernel.

Only after we fucked with this stuff for weeks and months did we actually get to the point where we knew what we were working with. Most of it was done through trial and error. It's not like we had "Custom Android Kernels for Dummies" at our disposal.

This isn't rocket science. Most of us research before making most decisions, and we want end user reviews most of the time, not "pro" reviews. Here's 500 pages, nearly 5000 posts, about the ROM I'm using. Not from your mother or aunt, but from tech minded people like most of us. Seems to me that would lead an educated person to believe the claims of increased battery-life, speed, customization, and better overall user experience, based solely on user feedback. For someone to come in this thread and start claiming custom ROMs are worse than stock is completely beyond me. There may be bugs EARLY on in a custom ROMs life, which is true for the stock ROM while in development, but they nearly always become rock solid. The good ones at least.

It's like saying 1000's of positive reviews for a processor or other piece of hardware, game, software, etc. means nothing. It goes completely against what we practice around here.

Why is there ALWAYS people on this forum who love to stir the pot on things that should be common sense? I swear, it's like everyday a new chiu pops up.

You have to realize that people see what they want to see.

I'm not saying custom roms arent good, i've used about every single one ever made for the Hero and the Thunderbolt, and rarely have i ever used a stock rom except to update something, but they do have their place in terms of stability most of the time.

I have yet to find a rom that is more stable than stock or even 100% stable. You can call me out on this all you want, every rom has problems, even "stable" ones.
A lot of the time, a custom rom that will "fix" one stability issue with a phone, will break something else

I leave stock roms on my fiancee's phone for the sole reason i dont want to keep fixing shit every day like i do on mine, and she has almost never once had a problem.

using axiom 2.3 and liking it. still had to hunt down nova launcher b/c i prefer it over trebuchet. probably going to try rootzboat today. anyone compared the two newest versions yet?

IMO there's a difference between rom's for Nexus phones and everything else. Since Nexus is the only line that ships with AOSP, the rom's are a lot closer to stock tha n for any other phone. There are no driver issues, no need to take parts from other phone images which are newer (as is common for other phones), and the result is custom Nexus rom's are stable and solid. e.g. other phones have to wait for the oem's to release updated images to get the right binary drivers etc in many cases.

not really your opinion, its FACT :) Nexus phones are far and away the smartest choice, even when they aren't exactly the newest models on the block....

well after giving rootzboat a few hours, back to axiom 2.3... i like the integrated options in rootzboat but it clearly is inferior when it comes to performance/lag/transitions.

well after giving rootzboat a few hours, back to axiom 2.3... i like the integrated options in rootzboat but it clearly is inferior when it comes to performance/lag/transitions.

6.1?

RootzBoat 6.1 is stupid fast for me. Inconceivably fast even.

Meh, I stick with stock both on my old Nexus S and Galaxy. all the 'ROMs' do is fuck up something else.

Meh, I stick with stock both on my old Nexus S and Galaxy. all the 'ROMs' do is fuck up something else.

Thumbs%20up%20bro.gif

Aint nuttin wrong with my action bro.

Poasting from teh Nexi

What is the best way to fully back up data between ROMS? I have unlocked the bootloader and am using the leaked radios, im not afraid of using custom roms, I just hate having to reinstall all my apps, sign in to all my apps, etc. I know titanium backup will back up the apps but it will it make it so I dont have to "re0verify" apps like my Chase Checking app and all? Having to always do that gets very annoying very fast. Also I would love to save my text messages between ROMS, Titanium doesnt even seem to do that.

What is the best way to fully back up data between ROMS? I have unlocked the bootloader and am using the leaked radios, im not afraid of using custom roms, I just hate having to reinstall all my apps, sign in to all my apps, etc. I know titanium backup will back up the apps but it will it make it so I dont have to "re0verify" apps like my Chase Checking app and all? Having to always do that gets very annoying very fast. Also I would love to save my text messages between ROMS, Titanium doesnt even seem to do that.

I love me some of this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Also not sure bout the rest. I never back up, just my SMS, I like to always start perfectly clean (maybe why Im the only person who doesnt have any issues.... hmmmmm, curious.)

I love me some of this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Also not sure bout the rest. I never back up, just my SMS, I like to always start perfectly clean (maybe why Im the only person who doesnt have any issues.... hmmmmm, curious.)

I was the exact same way, I only ever used SMSBackup and Restore,

But after flashing nightly's for a couple months i got sick of losing all my progress in games.

I always knew about Titanium Backup I just never really used it all that much, now I use it every time i reload a rom, but only for apps that i dont want to lose data for such as games.

However, i'm still the kind of person that will load a rom, load backups from Titanium Backup, and if i have any problems i'll reload the entire rom without TiBackups just to make sure it isnt the issue, although in most cases it's not

In short, another recommendation for Titanium Backup

All my games retain there saves and stuff. Im pretty sure its all stored on the SD partition. Not sure, but yea, all my stuff just syncs from the market after install, and boom goes the dynamite. Ready to pick up where I left off.

Back