Room problems: sound absorbing panels?

deathBOB

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a pair of Swans M200s for Christmas. They sounded great at home, but now that I have them in my apartment I'm having problems.

I have a built in desk shaped like so:

_____|
| x
|x
|_____
x |

Xs are walls. It's basically an indentation with a sliding desk. It doesn't really matter where the speakers are on the desk (which is pretty small), certain notes (not that these go very low) sound like crap (lots of humming).

Edit: aww, it messed up my drawing :(

I figure I need some kind of sound absorbing material, what should I look for? Do I need to break up the right angles of the corners?

These are excellent speakers BTW.

Edit: aww, it messed up my drawing :(

People use different resolutions for their monitor so your drawing will change on different computers. A nice looking and good way to absorb sound is by using curtains.

A cheap solution for sound insulation is egg cartons. Attaching them oval-side out to the walls acts as insulation. Might make your room look ugly but it's a cheap and easy way to do it.

Do you have any large furniture? I had a large chair half the size of a couch... Well, I was having a hell of a time with dead spots in my listening area, in the corner of my room near the fireplace. Once I moved that thing in and positioned it a few feet from the wall, it seemd to help, though maybe it was just placebo.

Seems large furniture would act as a poor-mans bass trap... But I cant say for sure.

Back