Router to use with UniFi system?

Ghent915

Gawd
So, on a whim, I put a UniFi 3 pack on my Amazon Wish-list. It looks now like someone has bought me that.

That being said, I was curious if anyone had suggestions for a router to pair with this system. Right now I'm using an Airport Extreme, but that's seriously excessive for just a DHCP server. (That, and well, I could sell it pretty easily...)

I've looked at the Edgerouter Lite from Ubiquiti, but that's not going to be out until after the first of the year. Anyone else have suggestions on what to run?

EDIT:
Oh, figured I may as well list out what hardware I have.
2x Desktops (can be run wired or wireless)
2x Laptops
1x Wireless printer
Wii
2x PS3
Xbox360
Tivo
Multiple iOS devices.

I would say just keep using the APE if it's working for you.
If you want to play with something interesting, get a pfSense box setup for yourself (if you don't have extra hardware, check the Craigslist giveaways - it seriously runs boss on anything better than a Pentium 90).

Just curious - were you not getting good wireless coverage from the APE? And did you get the UniFi Pro, or do you not use 5GHz?
3 APs for anything resembling a house and not a "manor" or "palace" seems slightly overkill, but that's just me.

Innocence:
Thanks for the info. To be honest, I just put the 3 pack on my wishlist just for giggles, as I didn't expect anyone to get them for me. It's probably going to be SERIOUS overkill for me, but better over than under, I suppose.

I've been using a E3200 and E4200 at my boss' for the past year, not a single hiccup when used as a DHCP server. You can get them pretty cheap as well.

Depends on your needs.

If you intend to keep a single network, pretty much any home router that meets your WAN speed needs will work.

If you want multiple SSID, for a secure & guest network for instance, your best bet is probably to get a router distro like PFSense. That way you could do segmented subnets per SSID over vlans. This would also require you to have a manged switch.

Back