RPGs for the PC??

Jalega7

Weaksauce
Im looking for a good rpg to hold me over until Fable: The Lost Chapters comes out. It must be a single-player, non-online game. Im new to PC gaming and have been spoiled by console RPGs. Are there any of the traditional Final Fantasy style RPGs for the PC?

Any others? I miss storylines. The last great RPG I played was Baldur's Gate 2 and the Throne of Bhaal expansion pack.

Good luck finding it though (fallout 2) unless you luck out and scrounge one out of a bargain bin or get a used copy from Amazon. Same with Planescape:Torment which I bought awhile ago and am finally getting around to playing. Then of course there's the Icewind Dale series which I still see on the shelf at the local COMP USA. Other then that, I suppose theres Knights of the Old Republic one and two (and one based on the same engine that took a different path which was supposed to be real good...i just don't recall the name of it). Neverwinter Nights is good and does not have to be played online either.

Neverwinter Night/Shadows of Undrentide/Hoards of the Underdark - They have an online option, but they play very well single player. Honestly, the story gets better the further through the expansion packs you get with Hoards being by far the best. Then you can always go online if that becomes an option to download extra single-player modules.

Morrowind -Single player only and seemingly unending. HUGE game.

The only Final Fantasy like RPGs for the PC I know of are Septerra Core which is pretty old and FF7 / FF8 which of course are Final Fantasy games.
Other than that, ROMs would be the only other way to get FF like RPGs for the PC.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
star wars KOTOR series

Oh man you'll love that one..

There's so much to do, people to mess with, instigating, arguing lol

GET IT!

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines was one of the most original and greatest RPG's I've played in ages.

RailGunRiz said:
Oh man you'll love that one..

There's so much to do, people to mess with, instigating, arguing lol

GET IT!

Yeah, KOTOR was awesome. So much to do! I played it twice through and it's still not boring.

I just started morrowind again the other day, great game. It is truely non-linear, can't say that for any other RPG i've played

Last night, I started playing again Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven, I forgotten how much fun it was. I played it when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Funny thing is that I never got any other M&M prequels or sequels.

But I recently got from Ebay the entire set from I to IX. But I wanted to play VI first since this was the game that I played long ago.

Its kinda old, so maybe Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind?

I played both Morrowind and Kotor on the x-box and I disliked both of them due to the control sceme. To me both games felt like they were meant for the PC. I had completely forgotten about these titles and will definitely give them another chance.

The one thing I noticed was that most suggestions were for Diablo-esque, hack-n-slash games. I've played MANY of them including some of those mentioned but I find myself needing variety and those types of games, although fun, do start to all feel the same after a while.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming as it's obvious I'm not the only one who enjoys a good RPG.

You'll learn that computer rpgs are very few and far much like FF turn based rpgs.

Some crpg's i'd suggest, you might like them/get used to the difference. I'm suggesting some stuff here that's not going to be "Extremely" old, since I assume you probally don't want to delvuge back into the very early days of crpgs, but if you do look at the bottom.

Gothic I and II
Vampire: The Masquerade bloodlines
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Star Wars: Knights of the old republic I and II (many people prefer I over II)
Neverwinter nights + expansions
Arx Fatalis
Divine Divinty

some older crpgs that many people agree are hands down some of the pc's best rpgs to offer:

Fallout series
Baldur's Gate series (if you play and like this, I suggest Icewind dale aswell)
The Ultima Series
Planescape torment
Lands of Lore I and II

Nasty_Savage said:
Good luck finding it though (fallout 2) unless you luck out and scrounge one out of a bargain bin or get a used copy from Amazon. Same with Planescape:Torment which I bought awhile ago and am finally getting around to playing. Then of course there's the Icewind Dale series which I still see on the shelf at the local COMP USA. Other then that, I suppose theres Knights of the Old Republic one and two (and one based on the same engine that took a different path which was supposed to be real good...i just don't recall the name of it). Neverwinter Nights is good and does not have to be played online either.

Actually, I just say a combo cd set at my local Fry's Electronics containing both Fallout 1 and 2 for $5. Can't beat that. I picked one up for myself.

On another note, I'll give another not to Arx Fatalis as well. Not what I would call a traditional RPG in any sense of the work, but it is an RPG, and boasts one of the most innovative and unique magic/spell systems I have seen in a long time. There is a demo floating about for it, that is definitely worth checking out.

Stiler said:
You'll learn that computer rpgs are very few and far much like FF turn based rpgs.

There are far more RPG's for computers than there are for consoles and there always has been. More recently there have been hardly any for consoles, unfortunately the console RPG seemed to die with the SNES...

I have a few of those Fallout 1/2 sets from Fry's. I also have a ton of Planescape Torment sets from Fry's...

However, I have the holy grail of PC RPGs

The original Planescape Torment with all the spell animations :D

I wanted to try planescape torment - the story definitely seemed interesting - but the low res graphics was too much for me to bear in this day and age. Hopefully there will be a community effort to update it with 1600x1200 textures or something.

CHollman82 said:
There are far more RPG's for computers than there are for consoles and there always has been. More recently there have been hardly any for consoles, unfortunately the console RPG seemed to die with the SNES...

uhh..yea, I was saying that there aren't a lot of rpgs on the pc that are like most japanese style turn-based rpgs.

for those who have played arx fatalis. is it fun like ultima underworld? worth buying?

WookieRookie said:
The only Final Fantasy like RPGs for the PC I know of are Septerra Core which is pretty old and FF7 / FF8 which of course are Final Fantasy games.
Septerra Core was great. Heck, I even played it though again like a week ago.

Septerra core was awesome. Took me several computer builds till i found a combination that would somplete the game. Serious sound issues. But an outstanding game nonetheless. Never did manage to finish planescape:torment. Game always crashes about 2/3'rds of the way through. Game may be great, but it's buggy as hell. I'd like to finish it, but it's not likely.

Bo_Bice said:
for those who have played arx fatalis. is it fun like ultima underworld? worth buying?

I say yes.

Arx Fatalis was actually being developed with being the new Ultima, however EA would not sell the rights to the company so they had to name it a different name and thus it became Arx fatalis.

There's a sequel on the way aswell :).

Nobody´s mentioned Anachronox? I've yet to see another RPG with characters so amusing and sarcastic.

-wil

Anachronox was fun. Got to the the final area, and said screw it. I never did figure out how to make the bugs work worth a damn. Even the online help guides weren't much help. If someone could point me in the direction of a decent guide to making the bugs work in the devices, i'd appreciate it. I've read dozens, and not one has made any sense to me. Maybe i'm stupid, but i don't think so... :p

Back