Rumor: MacBooks in Black and White this Tuesday

Black MacBook would be really nice. I have a feeling it'll be a huge scratch magnet.

synergyo1 said:
Black MacBook would be really nice. I have a feeling it'll be a huge scratch magnet.

That depends on the finish, if it winds up having the same matt aluminium casing as the mbp, just stained white or black, it probably won't show up scratches (and be pretty scratch resistant to begin with).

At this point I'd probably still go with white anyway (though a black aluminium finish would be pretty cool), but we'll see what they look like soon enough.

now i'm dreaming of a 13.3in widescreen in black that doesn't scratch to shiny al

when i was a boy, i dreamt of a 999mhz (because at the time, 1gz would just be too fast) intel laptop in silver, that was but a dream

MartinX said:
That depends on the finish, if it winds up having the same matt aluminium casing as the mbp, just stained white or black, it probably won't show up scratches (and be pretty scratch resistant to begin with).

At this point I'd probably still go with white anyway (though a black aluminium finish would be pretty cool), but we'll see what they look like soon enough.

Black anodized aluminum? That would be freaking sweat!

I hope the battery life is good, 13.3 seems like a perfect portable form factor.

blank said:
now i'm dreaming of a 13.3in widescreen in black that doesn't scratch to shiny al

when i was a boy, i dreamt of a 999mhz (because at the time, 1gz would just be too fast) intel laptop in silver, that was but a dream

When I was seventeen, I drank a very good beer
I drank a very good beer, that I purchased, with a fake ID
my name was Sammy McGee, I stayed up listening to queen....

anyway, if the new iBooks have the same bus ans processor options as as the Pros, Apple will be shooting themselves in the foot when they release them.

NulloModo said:
When I was seventeen, I drank a very good beer
I drank a very good beer, that I purchased, with a fake ID
my name was Sammy McGee, I stayed up listening to queen....

anyway, if the new iBooks have the same bus ans processor options as as the Pros, Apple will be shooting themselves in the foot when they release them.
im predicting core solos, slower video card (think integrated), and no introduction of a 15 inch+ Screen.

that would keep them seperated very nicely.

4b5eN+EE said:
im predicting core solos, slower video card (think integrated), and no introduction of a 15 inch+ Screen.

that would keep them seperated very nicely.

I hope that they aren't too expensive...I want a mac laptop so bad.
Do you think theyll be good enough for someone to sell their rig and use it as a main compy?

I think it sucks because they will be using the same video that is in the Mac mini... the Intel Integrated graphics :(

They could have at least use a 128MB x1300 or something

USMC2Hard4U said:
I think it sucks because they will be using the same video that is in the Mac mini... the Intel Integrated graphics :(

They could have at least use a 128MB x1300 or something

While the x1600 stands out amongst mainstream notebook graphics solutions, the 950 is no slouch either.

Plus, people obsessed with gaming don't buy macs, even Intel Macs, so cutting edge video cards are much less an issue. So, with the only reasons to buy a notebook with a cutting edge video card being rendering, CAD, or the ability to run a 30" LCD, the video card option won't really sway most people. Plus, the offer the Core Duo in the mini, I would be very surprised if it didn't show up in the low end notebook as well.

The x1600 lags a lot with things like opening dashboard and various effects on the 30" - things that aren't a problem when running with just the laptop screen. Wouldn't mind a 7800 :)

When it gets toasty (both cores at 100%) theres also a fair amount of artifacts showing up on my screen (noticable only on darker colours)...

what about final cut studio, requirements say an agp or pci-e video card, will it run on an intel mac with integrated video?

darkhorse said:
what about final cut studio, requirements say an agp or pci-e video card, will it run on an intel mac with integrated video?
It might. The GMA950 is compatible with Core Image and whatnot. But it's also quite likely that performance will be so bad that Apple calls it "unsupported."

Considering they use the same plastics and such from the ipod, I'm not quite surpised.
A very sexy idea

Too bad I bought this mini last year.

Off topic but does anyone know if they sent out press invites to the release of the MacBooks for tomorrow? Seems to me that they would want to release something in addition to the MacBooks.

Cowcaster88 said:
Off topic but does anyone know if they sent out press invites to the release of the MacBooks for tomorrow? Seems to me that they would want to release something in addition to the MacBooks.
No. There is no "event" afaik.

In regards to Mac users don't buy for games.

With the introduction of BootCamp they can and Apple should make sure they do. The Macbook should be at the pricepoint to appeal to college age students and those looking for an alternative to XP machines. The best way to appeal to the most would be to offer at least X1400 style graphics in this new machine.

Get them on X with the allowance to run their games on an XP partition. I know quite a few people who would justify their Macbook as being their next laptop if they could also "game" with it.

fibroptikl said:
9:11AM CST - Still nothing yet.

I just figured I would check there site and it is running really slow right now. I can't seem to connect.

swatbat said:
I just figured I would check there site and it is running really slow right now. I can't seem to connect.

You're right it is running slowly but I don't think an update to the store is going to happen today. Usually they bring the store down for like an hour to update it. So I could be eating my words here in about an hour.

I really hope they announce something today, I've been wanting a mac notebook for a while but the current offerings don't particularly excite me.

Slartibartfast said:
I really hope they announce something today, I've been wanting a mac notebook for a while but the current offerings don't particularly excite me.
If they were going to announce something, I think they'd have done it already.

Onto next week we go.

fibroptikl said:
If they were going to announce something, I think they'd have done it already.

Onto next week we go.

And as one, hippy-geeks 'cross the intarweb sighed a great sigh of dissapointment.

Hey, I can say that sort of thing because I'm included :D

yeah got up checked came home checked, makes me sad in the pants. Maybe they'll do it tomorrow to spite think secret haha

nothing to see here ...

if they had a media event for intel mac minis, you know theyll have one for the macbooks. just wait til you hear for the next media event.

Wait to see what happens next Tuesday because there is already talk about "its coming out next Tuesday". But if not then sometime in May, sometime.

NulloModo said:
While the x1600 stands out amongst mainstream notebook graphics solutions, the 950 is no slouch either.

Plus, people obsessed with gaming don't buy macs, even Intel Macs, so cutting edge video cards are much less an issue. So, with the only reasons to buy a notebook with a cutting edge video card being rendering, CAD, or the ability to run a 30" LCD, the video card option won't really sway most people. Plus, the offer the Core Duo in the mini, I would be very surprised if it didn't show up in the low end notebook as well.

...however, people who might otherwise be interested in buying a Mac laptop can refrain because of crappy graphics.(At least I do) It is not exactly rocket science, when it comes to laptop pcs better graphics are quite important to buyers like myself since graphics cannot be upgraded on 99% of the laptops out there so whatever you get you are stuck with it and believe me you don't want to be stuck with a GMA950! Powermac is a whole different story, Apple might choose to insult the Quad 2.5 by offering low end graphics but you can always get a powerful PC graphics card and mod it to work in PowerMac.

GMA950 is a painfully slow unit even compared to recent Nvidia and ATI IGP's let alone discrete graphics processors from these vendors. With the dual boot goodness it will be possible to game on an Intel Mac given it has decent graphics to back the otherwise fairly robust hardware. As stated before, even an X1400 would have been so much better, at least for games of FRP and RTS kind, compared to the GMA950.

Powermac is a whole different story, Apple might choose to insult the Quad 2.5 by offering low end graphics but you can always get a powerful PC graphics card and mod it to work in PowerMac.
Or just pick one of the BTO options for graphics. The Quadro FX4500 with half a gig of VRAM is no slouch. ;)

As stated before, even an X1400 would have been so much better, at least for games of FRP and RTS kind, compared to the GMA950.
Hell, even the Radeon Mobility 9550 in the current iBook is better.

When I've got the money dedicated graphics will be a must for my next laptop and if there's a half-way decent Macbook for cheap I might take it over the MBP. Of course maybe thats their plan, force me to take the more expensive route but when it comes down to entering my CC# price might drive me away.

The point of the rambling: a standard or BTO graphics card would be a good thing

uniwarp said:
...however, people who might otherwise be interested in buying a Mac laptop can refrain because of crappy graphics.(At least I do) It is not exactly rocket science, when it comes to laptop pcs better graphics are quite important to buyers like myself since graphics cannot be upgraded on 99% of the laptops out there so whatever you get you are stuck with it and believe me you don't want to be stuck with a GMA950! Powermac is a whole different story, Apple might choose to insult the Quad 2.5 by offering low end graphics but you can always get a powerful PC graphics card and mod it to work in PowerMac.

GMA950 is a painfully slow unit even compared to recent Nvidia and ATI IGP's let alone discrete graphics processors from these vendors. With the dual boot goodness it will be possible to game on an Intel Mac given it has decent graphics to back the otherwise fairly robust hardware. As stated before, even an X1400 would have been so much better, at least for games of FRP and RTS kind, compared to the GMA950.
your looking at it from an enthusiast's POV....look at it from apples/the professional worlds POV

you're average Mac customer isn't gonna be thinking... "can I boot windows and play games?" they are looking at a mac because they are interested in the style and OS X

If your a professional, working at...say...a 3D modeling firm, or a Graphics Firm....i HIGHLY doubt the firms are gonna be buying iBooks(macbooks) to run their high end modeling/graphics editing programs on. home users don't need an x1600 (or even close to it) because they aren't planning to do much more than surf and e-mail with their mac.

the reason the macbook PRO has a x1600 is just that...its the PRO notebook....for the mobile professional.

and addressing the modded cards:
a graphics/something-or-other firm is NOT going to go and buy a graphics card and MODIFY it to run on the powermacs....just as they would not overclock their computers...it's too risky, damage can occur and they would have to buy the correct thing (faster processor (overclock), or Mac graphics card (modded cards) (spending almost 2 times as much as just buying the proper thing in the first place)

just remember: not everyone is an enthusiast, and knows how to mod stuff. and even if they do, they (most likely) wouldn't do it in the professional world

oh....not to mention: why the hell should Apple worry about users booting into windows to play games? windows != their responsibility.

ps. yes, i know they released boot camp and blah blah blah...but they don't HAVE to, nor should they have to.

If your a professional, working at...say...a 3D modeling firm, or a Graphics Firm....i HIGHLY doubt the firms are gonna be buying iBooks(macbooks) to run their high end modeling/graphics editing programs on.
Trust me when I say that running 3D graphics software on a resolution of 1024x768 or anything around that is not all that much fun. If you're so serious about it that you need a better GPU, you're also so serious about it that you need a higher resolution display.

It does not really matter that much who needs/wants better graphics solutions when using their new macbooks, what matters is that gma950 is a downgrade from 9550, a bigtime downgrade and this is usually not the case when you replace a product with a newer one...This is all the more silly considering both ATI and Nvidia offer tons of value solutions for mobile graphics which could be implemented on Macbooks at low cost.

Also it is also for the benefit of the casual user to have discrete graphics of some sort since it will have its own memory and it won't hog system memory + bandwidth. GMA950 also uses cpu power for vertex calculations as it does not have a vertex shader unit, there it goes again hogging system resources by offloading work on your cpu a for QE/CI.

I know what a 3d graphics artist demands of their computers btw, I am one of them. People (at least a fair chunk of them) won't be buying macbooks for work purposes only therefore there is no reason why it should be a frustrating experience when they want play any sort of 3d game imo.

My comment on desktop graphics wasn't actually about modding cards, it was about the possibility of upgrades available in desktop G5 models comparing it with notebook PCs that cannot be upgraded, please read it only in that content. Believe me almost everyone in these forums know what sort of hardware professionals at the firm levels use including me so I never stated (or could have implied) that anyone should use a modded graphics card for professional purposes.

Regardless of what you think, I believe Apple gives a damn about people using Windows on their products, it gives flexibility to the user who always wanted an Apple but had to use Windows for a particular software (Games are a big part of this) and there are more people nowadays willing to switch because of the conveniences of bootcamp.

uniwarp said:
It does not really matter that much who needs/wants better graphics solutions when using their new macbooks, what matters is that gma950 is a downgrade from 9550, a bigtime downgrade and this is usually not the case when you replace a product with a newer one...This is all the more silly considering both ATI and Nvidia offer tons of value solutions for mobile graphics which could be implemented on Macbooks at low cost.

Also it is also for the benefit of the casual user to have discrete graphics of some sort since it will have its own memory and it won't hog system memory + bandwidth. GMA950 also uses cpu power for vertex calculations as it does not have a vertex shader unit, there it goes again hogging system resources by offloading work on your cpu a for QE/CI.

I know what a 3d graphics artist demands of their computers btw, I am one of them. People (at least a fair chunk of them) won't be buying macbooks for work purposes only therefore there is no reason why it should be a frustrating experience when they want play any sort of 3d game imo.

My comment on desktop graphics wasn't actually about modding cards, it was about the possibility of upgrades available in desktop G5 models comparing it with notebook PCs that cannot be upgraded, please read it only in that content. Believe me almost everyone in these forums know what sort of hardware professionals at the firm levels use including me so I never stated (or could have implied) that anyone should use a modded graphics card for professional purposes.

Regardless of what you think, I believe Apple gives a damn about people using Windows on their products, it gives flexibility to the user who always wanted an Apple but had to use Windows for a particular software (Games are a big part of this) and there are more people nowadays willing to switch because of the conveniences of bootcamp.
i see your point, but i still believe apple should stick with the 950 in the macbook...if not for cost, then to separate the base from the pro..if you want the performance you gotta pay :p

omfg... u r steve jobs in disguise :eek:

All kidding aside, Apple product line has been getting more affordable and better equipped day by day therefore I am a little disappointed to see an IG solution replacing a discrete one as it seems like a step away from the general trend Apple has set over the past few years. Other than that Apple might be really price competitive with other PC vendors with these Macbooks so it's another golden oppurtunity to borg a few more people into osx empire.

Anyway the idea of a 13" affordable/portable Macbook is mouthwatering enough and they want to produce it in black too :D , gosh I hated white and silver notebooks all my life and finally Apple caved in (didn't they have powerbook g3's in black some light years ago as well?).

4b5eN+EE said:
i see your point, but i still believe apple should stick with the 950 in the macbook...if not for cost, then to separate the base from the pro..if you want the performance you gotta pay :p

With such a low market share, Apple can not afford to take this route. They should be fighting for every last user they can get.

edit: If Apple doesn't produce a Macbook with discrete graphics I won't be buying one. I'm actually looking forward to a dedicated graphics unit- and if it doesn't have one I'll be turning to a PC.

MrJohnson said:
With such a low market share, Apple can not afford to take this route. They should be fighting for every last user they can get.

edit: If Apple doesn't produce a Macbook with discrete graphics I won't be buying one. I'm actually looking forward to a dedicated graphics unit- and if it doesn't have one I'll be turning to a PC.

I'm having trouble seeing where a 12" MBP would fit in now, maybe this MB will replace that too so it'll have better graphics. (wishful thinking perhaps, but hey, the 12"pb had crappy graphics...).

I need a new small lappy to replace my g4 ibook, and I'd like it to be apple, but I do need a bit better than intel integrated graphics (if it's up to playing WoW and EVE and maybe a few not so cutting edge rts' I'll be moderately happy, but I suspect Oblivion would be over-optimistic :) ).

Back