Running a Server-noob

The Goose

Gawd
My mate wants to run a server for a Steam game, although he's not sure which. He has enough upload for a 14 person server (700kb/s) but he doesn't have an extra computer to run it on. I have an extra old computer and I'm wondering if it would be good enough to run a server (a relatively stable one). It is a P3 1ghz with a Geforce2 and 256 PC133 SDRAM, although I could upgrade that to 768MB. Would it be good enough to run, say, a small CSS server?

Oh yeah, I didn't know a better place for this than General Hardware. If there is a more appropriate spot, please move it.

It should be good enough considering that its just a server. However, CSS' min requirements is a 1.2GHz CPU......

Just make sure you have at least 512MB Ram for the server. 768MB would be fantastic

here's a link that might help a bit with your server:

http://www.cstrike-planet.com/tutorial/1

Thanks. We're considering running anything from DoD 1.3 to HL2: DM. I'll get him to buy some extra memory for it to get it to 768 and then we should be good to go?

Do the minimum requirements matter when you're running a dedicated server? I would think they wouldn't matter since you're not actually playing, but am I wrong?

Keep in mind that every device you put on the same network parses the available bandwidth, so if you're playing on the same connection you're trying to run a server through, you're likely to see the server lag.

As far as minimum requirements, it's basically just passing a bunch of data back and forth so you don't need Deep Blue or anything like that. PIII will do fine. Generally the servers for games don't need nearly the hardware the games themselves require.

Back