Running a WoW Guild

My buddy and I are starting our first guild from scratch. I've been playing WoW since back when the Burning Crusade expansion came out, but I've never ran a guild before and neither has he so we are having some trouble setting some things up. First off, He is going to be the Guild Leader/Guild Master and I am going to be the Co-GM/Leader, but we can't figure out how to set me up as the Co-GM. The highest rank that he can seem to promote me to is just Officer. I know that there can be Co-GM's, like a Second in Command. But I don't know how to do it. I've been Co-GM before a long time ago, but I never asked how that person set it up. Secondly, I also know that you can change the names of the ranks, like instead of it being called "Officer" you can call it "Sergeant at Arms" or whatever you wanna call it, so I was hoping someone could tell me how to edit the names of each rank. And the last thing (well not the last thing i have a question about, i have lots lol, but the last one I am gonna ask for now) how do you edit the privileges each rank or person has ?

So if anyone can help me with those 3 questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced for any helpful replies :D

Are you sure you weren't just an officer rank named differently and had access to guild bank? :p

Are you sure you weren't just an officer rank named differently and had access to guild bank? :p

This... just create new ranks with the priviliges you want for each and name them appropriately.

There can only be one GM technically, the co GM is an officer with as many rights as the GM wants to give.

Your other officers should have reduced rights as appropriate.

^ This. Its pretty straight forward, if i was still sub, i could tell you easily. but from memory, there could only be 9 ranks. You base rank should have very limited abilities, and each rank should be increase in capabilities. Just make one of the ranks, renamed co gm havbe the most abilities.. There still is a couple things that only the gm can do, so if he disapears for a while and doesnt promote you, you could have issues. The guild i was in, the gm disapeared for like 2 months and we were trying to buy another guild bank slot, and almost had to go thruough blizzard to get contorl of the guild.

I ran 5 guilds in WoW , from the old 40 man raiding days til about a few years ago.

The best advice I can give , don't give out access to hardly anyone to the guild bank. Give the guild a few tabs but keep all your goodies in a tab only you and maybe one other person (that you trust without a doubt and likely a real life friend even) have access to. Too much bad blood can be generated if things go sour and you don't want all your guilds work flushed down the drain by one sour grape.

Also as a GM , run the guild. Don't advertise for officers and just let them take the wheel , you'll have a fragmented messy guild with little to no structure. Offer guild members clear paths of succession , make being an officer something actually useful instead of a filler role that any half wit you invite to the guild could fill. DO NOT talk trash about your guild members with officers , people love to turn coat in WoW and will happy used save text mods and screenshots to build their own case for whatever drama they wanna start.

If you just wanna run a casual guild , leave most of the bank slots open. Don't nominate officers and just give people you deem reasonable invite powers. Do not turn a casual guild into a raiding guild either , break off guild and save it for later on and start anew if you play to raid. Mixing the two atmosphere's never works , tried it and it fails more often than not.

I ran 5 guilds in WoW , from the old 40 man raiding days til about a few years ago.

The best advice I can give , don't give out access to hardly anyone to the guild bank. Give the guild a few tabs but keep all your goodies in a tab only you and maybe one other person (that you trust without a doubt and likely a real life friend even) have access to. Too much bad blood can be generated if things go sour and you don't want all your guilds work flushed down the drain by one sour grape.

Also as a GM , run the guild. Don't advertise for officers and just let them take the wheel , you'll have a fragmented messy guild with little to no structure. Offer guild members clear paths of succession , make being an officer something actually useful instead of a filler role that any half wit you invite to the guild could fill. DO NOT talk trash about your guild members with officers , people love to turn coat in WoW and will happy used save text mods and screenshots to build their own case for whatever drama they wanna start.

If you just wanna run a casual guild , leave most of the bank slots open. Don't nominate officers and just give people you deem reasonable invite powers. Do not turn a casual guild into a raiding guild either , break off guild and save it for later on and start anew if you play to raid. Mixing the two atmosphere's never works , tried it and it fails more often than not.

This. All this.

Having done my fair share of "leading", it's important to only give access to those you absolutely trust. Tough decision, but it's sometimes not obvious. The person you trust the most, and play a lot of games with, could be the one that finally turns on you, especially online.

I'd also take what Godmachine said about the type of guild. Pick one direction for the guild to go to. If you'd like to raid for instance, I'd ask a group of people if they'd like to try it, but without any additional pressure. If no one bites, and you still want to raid, start a guild on the side that does want to raid, and recruit accordingly. All too often, people get offended, sometimes more easily than other times, it's important to try to keep things in check, especially as a leader (of anything really, not just this game).

Back