Running an 8600GT in a 1x slot?

Okay, I've seen it done before, but I just want to ask you guys before I assume it will work.

Do you foresee any problems running a GeForce 8600 GT in a 1x PCI-E slot? I realize that the performance will obviously suffer, but that's okay, all I hope to accomplish is to add more monitors :) .

I'm pretty sure that a x16 card won't fit in a x1 slot, so you'd have to get a x1 card for this.

Why don't you put the 8600 is the other x16 slot? You can run them both together without SLI. Since all you want is multiple monitors, get a cheap 8200 or something, the 8600 would be overkill.

I'm pretty sure that a x16 card won't fit in a x1 slot, so you'd have to get a x1 card for this.

lol I've never pictured that in my head before... "cool I got a new video card, OK careful now, let's put it in .. what the . . . this is Huge!" :p

Maybe he means 1x electrical (16x physical ?)

If there are no more x16 physical slots, I believe USB video out adapters exist for strictly low res/2D usage (no games)

No, you can cut the back off a 1x slot to put a 16x card in and it will work. I wouldn't be doing this with the computer in my sig, so I don't have an extra 16x slot that you speak of.

A pci-e 1x slot is very small. You need at least a 4x slot for a graphics card but if you were using it for graphics I wouldn't use it in anything less than 8x. You lose significant performance under 8x, but gain slight by going to 16x (according to toms article a few months ago).

A pci-e 1x slot is very small. You need at least a 4x slot for a graphics card but if you were using it for graphics I wouldn't use it in anything less than 8x. You lose significant performance under 8x, but gain slight by going to 16x (according to toms article a few months ago).

In the process of overclocking (my sig computer) I've accidentally made my graphics run at 1x numerous times...it's not a big deal

When I had my K8N-Neo4, there was an x4 slot that had an open back. I ran my X1900XT in there many times and had no problems (3D performance aside that is). If you can open the back of the x1 slot, then it'll work. Just make sure to support the rest of the cards "fingers" so that it doesn't come in contact with the board or any its components.

Oh yeah, and what about these cards?

Or do you mean mechanically?

Nah, the computer I would be doing this in already has the card, I'm just gunna cut the back off one of the 1x slots and move the current card into it to make way for the new card.

Back