Running an ssd with raid 0 raptors?

Chris_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Going to be installing a 240 corsair ssd on Tuersday, after doing the install in ahci mode is it possible to turn on raid for the raptors to run in raid 0 or do i have to stick with ahci mode? :confused:

If you want to run them in RAID0 you need to set them to RAID mode and then build the array in the bios.

I have my WD 640's in RAID0 with an SSD as my OS drive. When im in ahci mode my raid drives are unavailable but changing it to raid my SSD is still available with no speed difference.

when I switched from RAID 0 to ssd, I turned off the RAID. Either RAID or AHCI, not both.
The only way it's doable is if you connect the ssd to a sata port that's not hosted by the RAID controller (if you have one). Many motherboards have two RAID controllers, the Intel built-in one and a secondary Marvell controller.

when I switched from RAID 0 to ssd, I turned off the RAID. Either RAID or AHCI, not both.
The only way it's doable is if you connect the ssd to a sata port that's not hosted by the RAID controller (if you have one). Many motherboards have two RAID controllers, the Intel built-in one and a secondary Marvell controller.
Strange.

All I've ever done is not include a drive in the array. :confused:

Strange.

All I've ever done is not include a drive in the array. :confused:

if you didnt have two controllers, then that would essentially be using it as a 1-drive RAID. its still under RAID mode, and not ACHI. but you are correct, this does work.

on regular motherboard controllers, all devices on that controller have to be set to the same mode (ACHI or RAID). you can use the two raptors as a RAID and the SSD as a single drive, but it will be operating in RAID mode, not ACHI (unless you have two seperate controllers, and can set them to different modes).

I've used all the Intel ports but did not include one drive in the RAID array.

The drive appeared as a separate drive in the device manager and since RAID is part of AHCI I assumed it was in AHCI mode just not included in the RAID array.

I've used all the Intel ports but did not include one drive in the RAID array.

The drive appeared as a separate drive in the device manager and since RAID is part of AHCI I assumed it was in AHCI mode just not included in the RAID array.

This. I've never had to RAID all drives. You pick and choose what you want to RAID and leave the rest as single, separate drives.

And, as far as I know, TRIM still gets passed to those separate SSDs, so long as they are not part of an array.

This. I've never had to RAID all drives. You pick and choose what you want to RAID and leave the rest as single, separate drives.

And, as far as I know, TRIM still gets passed to those separate SSDs, so long as they are not part of an array.

Of course.

Sometimes the internet has more misinformation than facts.:(

Back