Running Crysis on the following. Thoughts?

blade12

Limp Gawd
Hey, I had a performance question. I just today ordered a 8800GT 512mb and was wondering if anybody runs their games on a similar specs pc. I couldn't find any benchmarks with crysis being played on a single core with 8800GT but anyways, here's my specs.

-8800GT 512mb,
-1024mb ram running at PC3200 speeds w/ timings of 3-3-3-8 running on 2T cr(anybody thinking changing it to 1T would help??)
-Opteron 144 running at 2.2 Ghz(single core) on Epox 9npa+ Ultra(I might be able to overclock it to 2.5 ghz on stock HSF if you guys think that will help.)

Any suggestions on anything? I really don't want to buy a new cpu just yet because I just ordered the 8800gt.. I do plan on getting FX-55 or opteron 175 later on tho(I am not sure if any other dual cores cpus are supported by 9npa ultra. Maybe somebody else knows??)

P.S. I will also be using a resolution of 1280x1024 at 60/75 Hz. Nothing higher than that because my monitor doesn't support anything higher.. I know 8800GT is good enough for that resolution. I may still overclock it a little bit depending on temps. Thanks.

A suggestion? Definitely time for you to upgrade to a dual-core processor. I didn't even know there were many boards out there running single core+pci-e.

Your video card is getting bottlenecked bigtime by your cpu & ram. Not to mention that Crysis plays much better on a 64bit system (dual-core + vista or xp x64).

Start savin' them pennies! Time for an upgrade!

well your cpu and 1gb ram will hold your 8800gt back. if you could find a x2 cheap i would get it and overclock it. but if you cant find one cheap i would just hold off till a cpu mb ram upgrade.

well your cpu and 1gb ram will hold your 8800gt back. if you could find a x2 cheap i would get it and overclock it. but if you cant find one cheap i would just hold off till a cpu mb ram upgrade.

You think Opteron 175 will help back up the 8800GT for the next couple years? Both are dual-core but Opty 175 is better than a lot of the x2 cpus and much cheaper way out for now than upgrading cpu/mobo/ram all at once.

I just wonder what kind of settings will Crysis run at. Hopefully, I will be able to at least use medium settings. Thanks for the quick responses btw.

A suggestion? Definitely time for you to upgrade to a dual-core processor. I didn't even know there were many boards out there running single core+pci-e.

Your video card is getting bottlenecked bigtime by your cpu & ram. Not to mention that Crysis plays much better on a 64bit system (dual-core + vista or xp x64).

Start savin' them pennies! Time for an upgrade!

Could you please back that up with some links / benchmarks?

I think the upgrade to 8800GT will yield a substantial improvement, while the increase to be gained by replacing the CPU would be a lot smaller, and particularly so regarding switching to a 64bit OS. I was using XP64 and got tired of the incompatibility headaches so I switched to plain old XP Pro (32 bit). I certainly wouldn't recommend Vista, though, as long as you have 2GB of RAM the performance decrease going to Vista shouldn't be too dramatic.

edit: I see while I was typing someone did post a link...
check this link testing crysis with single, dual and quad cores. Also with many low performance gfx:

http://www.amdzone.com/amdzone/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8505

you can see going for single to dual core at the same speed almost double the performance
In the review they state "50 percent increase" not double, and that is with a 7900. I couldn't find in the review what the effect of going from one to two cores would be on an 8800... 50% is remarkable though, and much larger than I expected.

Could you please back that up with some links / benchmarks?

I think the upgrade to 8800GT will yield a substantial improvement, while the increase to be gained by replacing the CPU would be a lot smaller, and particularly so regarding switching to a 64bit OS. I was using XP64 and got tired of the incompatibility headaches so I switched to plain old XP Pro (32 bit). I certainly wouldn't recommend Vista, though, as long as you have 2GB of RAM the performance decrease going to Vista shouldn't be too dramatic.

I'm at work as write this and won't be able to dig up the links out there. If you do a quick google search on "Crysis 64 vs 32" you'll soon find out that Crysis was built on x64 bit architecture and takes advantage of it.

A mention of the 175 dual-core opty was made... get it. Definitely a worthy upgrade (and OC it!!!). If you can, move to at least 2 gigs of DDR.

Also note: Run Crysis in DX9 (with manual tweaking you can run crysis at very high in dx9 settings). 15-20% FPS gains with just about the same quality as DX10.

Back